Another idle issue...

Hi

I have done a quick search but don't seem to be able to find the answer to my question, which is; How do i measure the engine speed at idle without a tacho? I have a 1.0l micra without a tacho in the dash! The Haynes manual states to attach a tacho as per the manufacturers spec. How do i do that?

basically i think that the engine is idling to high when warm but have no way of really checking. i am getting about 300 miles to the tank full, does this sound right?

i have just changed the oil, oil filer, air filter, plugs, fuel filter and have cleaned the pcv filter, hopefully this will resolve the problem.

cheers

dave
:k11green:

You could by a multimeter which has a tach feature, which you could use. Or I used to use a tach/dwell meter which is a special tool to measure the revs. I have to say though I use it on my old 1971 VW beetle with points and a dizzy, dont really know how it would work for a modern car.

I could do with adjusting my base idle too but i dont know how to do it so i shall keep checking on this thread, see if anyone kind offers suggestions ;) :D

katie, looking at the throttle body below the air filter and standing from the right of the car, there's an allen key type screw which allows you to adjust the engines idle.

*first warm the engine up or drive around. then turn it off.
*unplug the brown connector that's on the throttle body's right side
18087679sf8.jpg

*start engine
*the rev should be at 600rpm with the brown plug disconnected
*if not, carefully stick an allen key in the adjuster screw and turn anticlock to speed up and clockw to slow it.
33450485go0.jpg

*when done, turn engine off, plug the connecter back on, start engine
*it should now be bout 650rpm with brown plug connected.

a tip: if ur engine starts up at low rpm when cold and idles at higher rpm when it's warmed up, i'd give the idle air control valve at the front of the TB a clean cos it clogs up over the years.
p4090275uz5.jpg

Back