Another crossmember thread ( sorry )

Do you think it will pass?

• K11 lives another day..

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Youre aving a laugh!!

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Hi again people.

Mrs little K11 is due its MOT and it had last year a pass and advise on the xmember. I've had a look underneath and it didn't look too bad. Would you guy tell me what you think please? I realise this is a very grey area even to MOT testers and VOSA with these.

Really don't want to bin her but its borderline if it need replacing :-( ( that's the car....not the wife!! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7P6A6mUsM&feature=youtu.be and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8LyBN_1WVE&feature=youtu.be

Much appreciated.

AA

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 296
Oooh, your wearing grandads slippers, but thats another story!! What i would do is get a drill and wire brush at the end of it and clean out the rust then paint hammerite on the areas and across to make look decent, ive done that but mine aint rusty at all being a 20 year old micra, just lucky really.. still solid.. so by painting it just protects it from all elements OR if you want to be extra get a welder to weld a plate on any large rusty holes then pain over or go down the poor mans route, slapp some filler and sand paper smooth with a lick of paint.

J

Didn't fancy getting on the floor with motorbike boots on tbh.

The garage will be doing a pre inspection on that bit for me on Saturday. If it fails or the quotes to high then of course it's not worth wasting the cash on the mot. You can see how bad it is as I've removed the plastic cover but should I leave the cover obscuring it back on?

How much should it cost approx to get another welded in?

Cheers.

i used to do mot,s and i would personally pass and advise a k10, but fail a k11 (because of the subframe that bolts to the middle of the crossmember)
most mot guys wont stick their neck out and risk a slap/points

Nice maglite you have there, i have a couple different colours, but again its another story and not important!! :) Id put my high heels on and get down to a garage and weld up the rust parts and get them to paint underseal/hammerite paint and be done, take off yer high heels put your feet up and have a cup of tea with a smile like so :)

J

Nice maglite you have there, i have a couple different colours, but again its another story and not important!! :) Id put my high heels on and get down to a garage and weld up the rust parts and get them to paint underseal/hammerite paint and be done, take off yer high heels put your feet up and have a cup of tea with a smile like so :)

J
got any pics of you welding in high heels :oops:

Can you do karate kick in alpina thigh with the very same pair of high heels although karate kick involves only one of the pair saving the other one for better days :)

They said it would fail and just to take the bumper off and weld a patch would be 180 inc + MOT and anything else they find so looks like its going to the great nissans in the sky :-(

Hi shame to send it to the scrappy I have seen worse crossmembers where I am but then again we don't have MOT's here! Just a quick question can you buy new crossmembers for K11's??

Cheers
Andy :)

very annoying as everything else goes/stops/works fine.

You cannot buy a useful vehicle for £180!

Avoid the ageing K-12 electronics nightmare or you will be hobbling yourself with an ongoing money pit.

The K-12 is the biggest consumer electronics device you can buy. When it goes wrong it’s cheaper to throw it away and buy almost anything but a K12.

Search for MOT standard welder mechanic fitters in your area on social media, gumtree, and trade guides as well as simply asking around in the local trade?

Example, my MOT welder would fabricate form and weld patches for that cross member in less than two hours for £75 cash or less. I do the access preparation and assist if required.

Improvise adapt and overcome the problem. Go for it and make it happen!

Last edited:
I've since read about the k12 and them being bags o' sh1te

I think as the cars 22 years old now her indoors could do with something a bit newer.

Not sure what else it would fail on but it is dropping some oil, think the front pads need doing and 2 new tyres so add £55 on for an MOT and it might be time to update her. Scrapper giving me £35 or £55 if I drive in.

Either way about the same costs me thinks.

buy a sellers membership on here and then sell it for spares or repair, or the the free ad sites, ya will get more than £55 for i am sure :)

Well someones going to weld it ( patch top n bottom ) for 120 inc. Couldn't find anything else that was an obvious fail when I looked so fingers/legs/knickers crossed is passes thursday

They said it would fail and just to take the bumper off and weld a patch would be 180 inc + MOT and anything else they find so looks like its going to the great nissans in the sky :-(

Oh well lads, you heard, seems like we have another scrapper ere' ok go on then give us a list of what parts your selling off the car!!

OR Just repair it, the car will love you for that, specially if you wear fishnet stockings and high heel boots whilst you drive it...:)

J

Well someones going to weld it ( patch top n bottom ) for 120 inc. Couldn't find anything else that was an obvious fail when I looked so fingers/legs/knickers crossed is passes thursday

With a 22year old vehicle a rational sequence would be to put it in for pre or MOT test one month early to get the failure list repairs cost quote to enable quantifiable evaluation whether it’s worth repairing.

This would be more cost efficient than prematurely incurring repair costs with MOT total repair costs still apparently unknown?

Good luck with the MOT!

Last edited:
With a 22year old vehicle a rational sequence would be to put it in for pre or MOT test one month early to get the failure list repairs cost quote to enable quantifiable evaluation whether it’s worth repairing.

This would be more cost efficient than prematurely incurring repair costs with MOT total repair costs still apparently unknown?

Good luck with the MOT!
I've owned it for the last five years and only had to solder the throttle body in that time. Plus change two tyres, reearth some bulbs and garage do a split gaitor for last 4 mots.

I did put it in a month early to check the crossmember. And once told it would def fail and due to cost started looking at others. Mostly in a same or worse state than mine for 5-600 quid. There were 2 exceptions but quickly sold or too far away. It's an slx 1.3 auto.

I wouldn't be getting rid of it bar for the cost factor of a new cm. however now I can get this lower then it's worth a punt IMHO. If I could of got it in for a mot before the welding I would have but not going to use a national chain off rip off merchants and the welder seems to use a garage he knows (welder a local Morris minor/classic car restorer) so if garage says it still fails welding for example, then welder doesn't get paid.

I'm still in same position but will then know what's wrong for it to fail. Hopefully then between me/garage/welder we can do whatever's needed. I'm no mechanic but have fair clue what to look for and as said couldn't see that much visually or I could test/check.

Fingers crossed.

£50 for both sides of the crossmember to be welded and 50 for the MOT!

BOOYAH!!!!

Micra fights another day!

Thanks for making me look for a welder only rather than a garage people....Probably wouldn't of thought about it otherwise.

That would pass where I go, advisory only, but he would tell me to get it done for next year.
£50 + £50 not bad - git on and do it.

It was a different garage/MOT'er that knows the welder as he brings all his cars in their so let them get on with it.

Welded now so I think I might go mad with the hammerite this weekend.

£50 for both sides of the crossmember to be welded and 50 for the MOT!

BOOYAH!!!!

Micra fights another day!

Thanks for making me look for a welder only rather than a garage people....Probably wouldn't of thought about it otherwise.

1. A 22-year-old K11 saved from the scrappers for another year with a little independent welding, quote “not going to use a national chain off rip off merchants” ~ that’s a superb result!!!!
  2. That’s a victory for the exchange of conservation information and expertise via the MSC.
  3. A win by the motorist over “a national chain off rip off merchants,” that grossly overcharges for minor repairs!!!

Its well worth hunting about for a good local welder because we tend to throw perfectly good cars away due to a rip off quote.

I did a front cross member a year ago .... bought a new one on fleabay for about £26 delivered .... got two proper spot welder drill bits and at my first attempt it took me about 4 hours ... lots of tea making and ciggy breaks in between and the hardest part is drilling out the 30 odd spot welds... which is easy with the right drill bits ....
I didnt spot weld the new cross member on because its well and truly bolted on and the bumper bolts also hold it on (the downside to not spotwelding is it takes a bit more effort to get the bumper bolts in but its jut a matter of getting it all close enough to line up) ..... and i figured if it failed to pass because of spot welds its an cheap enough job to get the garage to remove the bumper and get the local mechanic to spot weld ...... so anyway i gave it a good coat of underseal which of course hides the fact there are no spot welds although i only did it to stop the rot .... and it passed ... no issues..... and as i have said before the cross member is so thin ... you can lift it with your little finger .. that i fail to see what difference a few spot welds will make as it will tear off with the slightest bump regardless.

We needed the sill doing last year on the other Micra which had been weak for 7 years since we bought it ...... I went to a few local commercial welders and they all mentioned the same name ..... so I found the local fella and he quoted £150 for what he could see (7 years of rotting) .......... and then found it needed the inner rear arch replacing and inner sill for half the length of the car .... including a large section where the inner arch connects to the inner sill ..... and also had a patch on the front cross member which was a hole i made many years ago to get access....MOTer i chose was EXTREMELY picky as this had passed for 6 times before.
Anyway he called me and said it was more than he initially thought and would £200 be okay .... I said yes and the car was done .... and I have to say the welding is to manufacturer spec...in fact better as the whole reason the rot had begun was because of a poor seam weld on the inner rear arch in the first place........so ... perfect full seam welds and looks no different to how it did before, other than having a slightly lower inner sill lip ....
I did waxoyl it all after he had welded it ... even though he had used a light spray to seal it all ..... and i checked it all yesterday to see how the winter had treated it all and its all perfect still so I am now looking at another 3-5 years trouble free body wise.
Just getting my plastic mac out ready to do the waxoyling again ..... hate the job but a few hours every year has meant a £600 odd car lasting us 7 years with no reason why we shouldnt see another 5.
Not bad for a 1995 car that "rots".

So my advice is dont bin it because the MOT station says oooo arhhhhhhh thats gonna be expensive looking at a 3 cm patch and rubbing there hands with glee thinking about their next Maldives cruise. ...... go spend some time finding a good named local welder , pay for a good job not a bodge which is what the Maldives man will likely give you for his 1000% mark up , waxoyl and then enjoy the reliable little motor for another 5 years plus.....

Sorry to go on but it pees me off that garages send perfectly good reliable cars to the scrap heap because they overcharge for welding.

I can't believe the prices you get quoted for your welding, here for that welding I would be looking at £80/£100 tops.
I suspect its because we have so many welders here due to the local dockyard. They train them up to top standard then lay them off.
Had a sill done on my van, he was apologetic when he asked me if £30 was alright!!!! I said YES.

Back