Annoying DCI Rattle on my lovely Micra

Hi folks
Bought a great little 2009 1.5DCI Micra 25th Aniversary. Since purchase it has worked perfectly appart from a rattle from around 1500 - 2200 RPM on acceleration. Take your foot off the peddle within these RPM and noise stops. Noise happens hot or cold. I have taken apart the egr valve, cleaned and put back together. All looks fine there. Moves stiffly but freely. What I noticed today was that the turbo actuator valve rod was loose to move forward or backwards. the wastegate that is close to the threaded nut moves freely.
Checked and changed oil. Oil level fine. Ran Redex through a tank, no change. Checked for air leaks, cant find any.
The car feels smooth and accelerates well, but that annoying clatter keeps me wondering what it is. If this rattle is normal then hey ho!
Is this loose rod normal? Could this be the ratlle I hear on acceleration? Also what is the issue if left unresolved?

I really love this car and haven't been so happy with a vehicle for years.

Hi,

Replied to a similar problem other day in general discussions, take a look as its a common problem with diesels as vibration can loosen clamps and fixtures and they tend to annoy. also try Archoil cetane additive in your fuel it will give you a ten percent boost in power and clean your engine and pump and injectors to as new, pricey stuff but 100% recommended.?

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Hi folks
Bought a great little 2009 1.5DCI Micra 25th Aniversary. Since purchase it has worked perfectly appart from a rattle from around 1500 - 2200 RPM on acceleration. Take your foot off the peddle within these RPM and noise stops. Noise happens hot or cold. I have taken apart the egr valve, cleaned and put back together. All looks fine there. Moves stiffly but freely. What I noticed today was that the turbo actuator valve rod was loose to move forward or backwards. the wastegate that is close to the threaded nut moves freely.
Checked and changed oil. Oil level fine. Ran Redex through a tank, no change. Checked for air leaks, cant find any.
The car feels smooth and accelerates well, but that annoying clatter keeps me wondering what it is. If this rattle is normal then hey ho!
Is this loose rod normal? Could this be the ratlle I hear on acceleration? Also what is the issue if left unresolved?

I really love this car and haven't been so happy with a vehicle for years.
Have you check exhaust heat shields, if you have them?! :unsure:
Mine was rattling on certain rpm range, reason was loose heat shield on rear muffler! ;)

Hi Mika
I took the car to a mechanic who checked all of the exhaust brackets and heat shields. Also the exhaust system all the way through. He said that nothing was loose or binding.

If you are still getting the problem it may come from an internal baffle that has come adrift inside the exhaust, this sometime happens if the car has been started for short periods and then left as they do on car lots leaving the inside of exhaust full of wet condensation. I had this problem earlier in the year and ripped the lot out and started a fresh. I don't mean for you to do the same its just a thought for you to consider.o_O

There's no bad answers! Some of the issues you get are very odd indeed. I got the Archoil AR850, put in the tank; and took the car for a 50 mile ride. By the time I got home everything was quieter, and more responsive. I will go out tomorrow and see if the improvements remain, So far so good.

Well background noise is definitely down on what it was. the Archoil is doing its job. Still getting clacking noise from 1500 - 2200 RPM. Almost like its clacking at an 1/8th of what the engine is running. Odd! Could any of this be cambelt or EGR valve making a noise? Just listening and trying to guess.

Vibration from the exhaust can be heard as engine gets to certain RPM and is also heard as engine is at same RPM if revved and as it dies down to same speed as when it starts, still think it a vibration of either an internal baffle or exhaust bracket, they are dam annoying.mine was similar but a new system sorted me out, but I am luck as I can put one at cost.:unsure:

I will try to record the sound. That may help. Missus says it sounds like a diesel. I have heard similar noises coming from other Renaults going down the street. That clack clack sound as they set off from the lights.

Diesels by default are noisier than petrol but the engine made by Renault is bullet proof provided you service them well they still use this engine in lots of vehicles made by Renault and Nissan, they are great for power and fuel economy, so don't worry too much it will turn out to be nothing major, because the Engine is a 1.5 diesel in a small shell pottering round urban roads is ok, but get her on a motorway and will cruise all day at high speed they love it.?