• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Andy_S Micra SR20 - Done Properly

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Once I weighed the car I took it to my unit and I gave it some boost and all of a sudden pop and engine cuts out

I crapped it. Luckily it was the pipe from turbo to inter cooler which popped off so slapped it back on loosely as had no tools with me and carried on. Luckily I was 1/4 mile from my unit so just rolled it down and tightened up jubilee clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stani1029

Club Member
Can you get some videos up of the speedometer at full boost 2nd/3rd/4th/5th? For 271bhp per tonne the earlier videos of it didn't seem to suit that title....

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Once I got clutch replaced I will do. The clutch has been slipping since I bought it so cannot floor it properly. Once this is done ill be getting it dynod too for accurate figure

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
I'm running 9psi apparently. I need a psi Gauge lol

I got dyno sheet of 214bhp @7psi

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
How do u tighten up a alternator belt? Mines squeeling a lot of the time now.

Cheers

Stani1029

Club Member
How do u tighten up a alternator belt? Mines squeeling a lot of the time now.

Cheers

Cant remember what the sr20 is like but if its similar to a micra then there will be 2 bolts above the altenator, one pointing towards the drivers seat and one pointing towards the passenger wheel. Loosen the one pointing to the wheel and tighten the other. Onec done tighten the other one up

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
lol i love this car! ive given it some abuse over the the past couple of days and driveshaft is holding well. the power is holding very well. i filled up with VPower just to try it and it was cheap at 139.9 a litre! anyhow after using a FULL TANK of this stuff and it only getting me 80miles! Yes 80Miles per tank of fuel when giving it the beans! is shocking. I deffo need to get this car remapped by Ed now.

a Jetta tried having a race with me today and he was no match. 3 attempts he had and he just didnt have a sniff at beating me. He pulled up and the side of me and went what the **** is in that car so i told him! haha his face dropped and then went you legend!

of course my head just went bigger lol

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Changed clutch today and its worse than before! Uprated clutch??? More like down rated clutch. Slips worse than original one. Not happy.

Then when I was out driving it I downgeared incorrectly. Basically missed 4th and went into 2nd (whoops) and engine revs went sky high must be past redline and it went bang. Not driveshaft but when got back to unit it turned out to be rocker arm and shims. So need to get new ones again.

Oh well. Joys of having a sr20det micra lol

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
erynate2.jpg

sasezesa.jpg

frank

Club Member
Changed clutch today and its worse than before! Uprated clutch??? More like down rated clutch. Slips worse than original one. Not happy.

Then when I was out driving it I downgeared incorrectly. Basically missed 4th and went into 2nd (whoops) and engine revs went sky high must be past redline and it went bang. Not driveshaft but when got back to unit it turned out to be rocker arm and shims. So need to get new ones again.

Oh well. Joys of having a sr20det micra lol

bloody nora andy, you,re worse than stani :D
a stock SR20det clutch would suffice surely ?

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
It's not a sr20det engine though so won't fit will it?

Stani1029

Club Member
bloody nora andy, you,re worse than stani :D
a stock SR20det clutch would suffice surely ?

Haha cheers frank! :p im so glad ive stuck to a cg13 though, there so much easier and less time consuming to do things like this but the extra power of the sr20 i could do with!!

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Always thought the splines would be different. Plus I using a fwd box not a awd

heh, you pair are just too greedy :D i,ll stick with my ultra reliable 150hp (fingers crossed for shakies next week ;) )
and a det clutch will be a straight swap i would have thought andy ?
Your cga is at 150? Noicee! I have 60. Maybe: nobody on here should complain :p

So my fast road clutch which slips worse than old one I just replaced wont get better after say 100 miles of bedding it in?

What was the flywheel surface like? If it was grooved then the new clutch won't have the same surface contact.
It may take a few miles to take a surface off the friction plate I guess. What I meant was I don't think you have to be careful like you do with a new engine (or possibly breaks if you listen to them).
Was it all nice and clean when you put it back together? No oil or grease?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Flywheel was looking shiny. No grooves

maybe your car is just far to hardcore eh andy? Is the pressure plate stuffed? if uprated it should be a bastard to engage the clutch pedal eh? What clutch system was on it before?

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
It was easy to use the clutch. Very easy. Used pressure plate that came with it

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Could the release bearing be out of place? very likely to cause this issue. or a simple clutch cable adjustment... too close to eth floor and it will not allow the pressure plate to clamp completely. I think i have said that right. No to close to the floor you cannot disengage, to high and you run the possibility to not engage properly. either way you know what I mean... hopefully. I would be curious to eye up the release bearing.

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
My mate did it. I not a mechanic lol I cross thread fitting wheels lol. I stay away from that stuff except electrics. (I'm a sparky)

Ill ask him

Just put your arm in the engine bay, grab the clutch arm and wiggle, it should move a little before you feel tension (the cable should slacken a little). It sounds to me like its overtightened... Its like having your foot resting on the pedal and will fry the new clutch really quick.

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Up an running again.

We made sure it ran fine sat still and then turned off and drained the oil. Took sump off and found the smashed up shims and some other crap!

Looks like pickup filter did its job! As there were bits stuck to the seive.

Pics tonight as I took all pics off phone doh! Lol

Just need to refit sump and put fresh oil in again and she's running again

Almera GTi comes off road end of month as it runs out of tax and will be stripped. Be using the paddle clutch from that now instead. Apparently the company said u need to bed it in 300 miles around town and not with full power either!

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Car back on road

Drove it about 3 miles then started cutting out and massive fluid everywhere along the road. Mate told me to turn engine off quick as he thought it was oil

Turns out its fuel. It was throwing it out.

It was a split fuel pipe to injector rail!

So he towed me to halfords and got a new fuel pipe and fitted it and works fine

Clutch holding up today for some wierd reason lol.

Clutches are odd things... Mine should be fine for my power, but slipped after the rebuild (same clutch as before so no bedding in needed apparently) but has now got better by itself.