• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Andy_S Micra SR20 - Done Properly

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
If you want to have shoulders and a spine left in the unfortunate event of a collision, sort those seat belts out.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I think you maybe within the 45deg angle from horizontal, which is doable. However, due to the length of the shoulder straps they should really be crossed over at anything beyond 500mm from the seat back to the mounting point. High angles also really require a suitably rated seat due to the increased loads.

Take a look through the Tillett instructions for some guidance, Page 21 onwards.

https://www.tillett.co.uk/shop/documents/downloads/seat-belt-fitting-information-2012.pdf

Ideally, someone needs to come up with a proper harness bar for the K11. Most people state no more than 20deg from horizontal, (some 10deg), but that's pretty hard to do in anything other than a bespoke installation. Basically the closer the harness angle is to vertical, the greater the load is onto the shoulders and spine, which can cause some pretty severe loads to the occupants in a collision. Not including the lack of and impracticality of HANS of course ;)

Not intending to have a go like, just to keep peeps safe. Being in a process of recovering from a spinal injury, (not related to motorsport), I can tell you it's not a nice journey to make and any preventative measures that can be taken get the thumbs up :)

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Still don't understand it lol. So the angle of my straps going from seat to the seatbelt mounting hole at back seats is incorrect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Still don't understand it lol. So the angle of my straps going from seat to the seatbelt mounting hole at back seats is incorrect?

Read the documentation that was provided, its all in there. Good read, especially when it can save your life and most importantly the passengers.

Yes correct. It looks to be more than 45 deg. As Low rider says in an accident this would force your shoulders downwards.

ese4ygeb.jpg

SirChris

Educated Bodger
I have seen a few rear strut brace setups... it does worry me that in a crash that you may decrease the distance between you and the rear strut brace... eg.. shell crumpling.. not something I want to do! Then the harnesses have slack.

WTF.... no one told me these exist! WANNNTTTt

Wouldnt fancy being a back seat passenger with that in your face though :confused:

EDIT:

Andy if you wanted and pic's mines been through scrutineering a few times and always passed.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
ahh what I have to go find it lol.
See my video. They are mounted to the back seat rails.

Yeah...rollercoaster mode! No rear seats... they just have to hold on to the bar... leaving the boot open.. whoever doesent come out whilst rallying wins

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
No sorry I meant they are mounted to the back of the front seat rails mounting holes into the chassis. The shoulder ones and fitted to a seatbelt point

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
blomin eck! anyone would think im doing a touring car micra haha

i dont have a 5million point harness just a 4 point one.

what ive read is the ones that go over my shoulders should go over a bar which is near to me at no more than 20degree angle to the entry hole to my shoulders and then can be bolted down to the floor however it wants.

suppose i best take it to a motorsport garage and ask them what i need to do.

the way ive got it your all saying it will kill me? goodness! that means the normal seatbelts would utterly destroy me if i rolled it over in normal seats lol

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
the way ive got it your all saying it will kill me? goodness! that means the normal seatbelts would utterly destroy me if i rolled it over in normal seats lol

No, not at all. More that, in the event of a head on crash, you are more likely to be in an unfavorable situation with that setup.

A roll over scenario is something completely different. Yes multipoint harnesses will offer additional driver protection, i.e. keeping you in your seat, but the fact that you do not have a rollcage fitted could render that point moot.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
blomin eck! anyone would think im doing a touring car micra haha

i dont have a 5million point harness just a 4 point one.

what ive read is the ones that go over my shoulders should go over a bar which is near to me at no more than 20degree angle to the entry hole to my shoulders and then can be bolted down to the floor however it wants.

suppose i best take it to a motorsport garage and ask them what i need to do.

Just precautions tbh mate, do as you wish. 4 point is good, use what you got, just set it up to the best you can.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
No, not at all. More that, in the event of a head on crash, you are more likely to be in an unfavorable situation with that setup.

A roll over scenario is something completely different. Yes multipoint harnesses will offer additional driver protection, i.e. keeping you in your seat, but the fact that you do not have a rollcage fitted could render that point moot.
no way to escape the roof when it suddenly drops 12 inches.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
What cage you running dave?

Mine is a Janspeed 9-point bolt in cage, (13-point as Safety Devices would put it). The harness bar isn't where I want it though, so it will require some additional bars welding in pretty much where they are on the above cage. The bottom bar runs across the top of the wheel arches, so is within the 45deg window but still outside the 10-20deg limits that most harness manufacturers seem to refer to.

Attachments

• DSC03889.JPG
    DSC03889.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 299

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Mine is a Janspeed 9-point bolt in cage, (13-point as Safety Devices would put it). The harness bar isn't where I want it though, so it will require some additional bars welding in pretty much where they are on the above cage. The bottom bar runs across the top of the wheel arches, so is within the 45deg window but still outside the 10-20deg limits that most harness manufacturers seem to refer to.
I don't think it worked Dave

Micra turbo... init

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Poxy Dropbox :mad:

Uploaded instead...

Janspeed did have a load of stock of those cages but they were bought by Matt Humphris along with the jigs a few months back, so they are only available through him now.

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Well done a few weekends work overtime and treated myself to a private plate.

G17 EUP

Pretty fitting considering lol

yse3a5ys.jpg

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Weighed micra today.

920kg wtf what should it weigh standard?

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Hmm ok

Wonder why all autotrader listings facelifts say 1340kg

Also I've stripped the rear out so should be less than 920kg surely? Although I do have a sr20det under the bonnet lol

Hmm ok

Wonder why all autotrader listings facelifts say 1340kg

Also I've stripped the rear out so should be less than 920kg surely? Although I do have a sr20det under the bonnet lol

Pretty sure your power to weight will be 'acceptable' :D

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Lol true true but wanted it for calculations etc. ie bhp per tonne

U see autotrader say

Gross vehicle weight 1340kg
Min kerb weight 825kg

What's the difference? 515kg :-/ lol

Well the kerb weight is weight of vehicle with all fluids including full tank of petrol but no luggage or passengers. Gross weight is the max permissible weight including luggage/passengers