• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Andy_S Micra SR20 - Done Properly

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Just hope to the gods you never have to claim with them... :)

...or don't declare anything, as I have it on good authority they check forum build threads like this for anything you may have forgotten to declare

Everything is declared engine output power, engine size, turbo, brakes etc I'm legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James

Chairman
Everything is declared engine output power, engine size, turbo, brakes etc I'm legal
That wasn't my main concern. My concern is their reluctance to pay out a "fair" sum if the unthinkable happens.

I know of at least 3 people on this forum alone who have had problems with Flux's valuations!

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
ah i couldnt get agreed value with them unfortunatly so yeah if its stolen etc ill prob only get about £1k lol

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Sounds like youre on a driving test with the directions mate :p
you gonna head down to the brum meet tomorrow? Think you'd steal the show in that!
Lol he didn't know which exit to take lol

And i won't make it tomorrow I'm afraid

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Looks seriously quick (and fun!) Andy :). Where abouts in Manchester are you? Have you met Mov, he's another 2L Micra in Manchetser - you could compare notes :D.

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
What boost are you running, And what turbo? Also were you going for it there?
8psi I believe t28 garrett

Not on slip road no due to traffic. We sat at 80 I think and in about 5 secs were at 130 lol. Initially I think he had foot down but I have a worn clutch so have to compensate over wise it just slips the clutch. I've had 145 out of it which believe me is a tiny bit scary but the car feels well built for it. Wanna get it on a track and see what it can do really once I sorted out the clutch

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Looks seriously quick (and fun!) Andy :). Where abouts in Manchester are you? Have you met Mov, he's another 2L Micra in Manchetser - you could compare notes :D.
Oldham and I've not met Mov but I know he has a turbo micra too

Stani1029

Club Member
8psi I believe t28 garrett

Not on slip road no due to traffic. We sat at 80 I think and in about 5 secs were at 130 lol. Initially I think he had foot down but I have a worn clutch so have to compensate over wise it just slips the clutch. I've had 145 out of it which believe me is a tiny bit scary but the car feels well built for it. Wanna get it on a track and see what it can do really once I sorted out the clutch

Cool I'd love to race a 2ltr turbo one to see the difference if any ;) :p

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Blew a head gasket today. Gutted! Oh well gives me chance to clean the engine I suppose ready for next year track days! Also whilst that's being done ill get a new uprated clutch!

frank

Club Member
Blew a head gasket today. Gutted! Oh well gives me change to clean the engine I suppose ready for next year track days! Also whilst that's being done ill get a new uprated clutch!

what engine management is it running andy ?

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
hyqaze3y.jpg

Standard Ecu Apparently

frank

Club Member
2nd boost fuel pump , unusual approach eh o_O
a dyno run would shed some light on whether is running safely eh (det free)

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
2nd boost fuel pump , unusual approach eh o_O
a dyno run would shed some light on whether is running safely eh (det free)

Dunno about 2nd boost fuel pump. What does it do?

I want to dyno it but with the clutch slipping it will just give false readings.

Need to uprate the clutch but I don't know what to get! It's a primera sport gearbox 2001 and the guy says any almera Gti clutch will fit

frank

Club Member
Dunno about 2nd boost fuel pump. What does it do?

I want to dyno it but with the clutch slipping it will just give false readings.

Need to uprate the clutch but I don't know what to get! It's a primera sport gearbox 2001 and the guy says any almera Gti clutch will fit

i,m guessing he has plumbed in a 2nd fuelpump that kicks in via a boost sensitive switch (a new one on me !)
and the slipping clutch has been doing you a favour imo, i can watch my boost needle drop when my front wheels loose traction (you would think that it would do the opposite, but its because the engine load falls away when the wheels spin)
you have to bear in mind that our cylinder peak pressure soon after top dead centre is about 1000 psi, and det can double that figure (ringland/headgasket busting pressures :) )

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
there is a switch by the throttle cable when on full throttle it touches it and activates it.. i pressed it when it was idle and it bogged down and if i held it on it stalled.. so i guess ur right and its throwing more fuel in on full throttle!

i have a boost gauge but its in kPa and i aint a clue what that is in bar or PSI. apparently its running 9psi but the max ive had the boost gauge show is 70kPa

<--- click that and look next to throttle cable. thats the switch

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
there is a switch by the throttle cable when on full throttle it touches it and activates it.. i pressed it when it was idle and it bogged down and if i held it on it stalled.. so i guess ur right and its throwing more fuel in on full throttle!

i have a boost gauge but its in kPa and i aint a clue what that is in bar or PSI. apparently its running 9psi but the max ive had the boost gauge show is 70kPa

100kPa = 1bar, so 70kPa would be 0.7bar or 10.15psi

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
ah right cool! i think it was 70kPa or might of been 60kPa. to be honest im looking at the road at full boost haha i darent take my eyes off the road tbh haha

frank

Club Member

heh, thats even cruder than my ghetto setup :D what were you racing when it blew andy :) ?

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Nothing actually. I was just driving it about town with the odd bit of boosting :)

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Progress slow due to weather!! Grr

Anyhow rocker cover off cams out etc. just need to unbolt turbo as there's one nut on exhaust manifold we cannot get to which is cross threaded we believe. Then its take head off time ready for sending off in jan

Continue tomorrow afternoon

Pics before cams were taken out with markings to know where they go back the same place etc.

4y2emyna.jpg

e8yjedeg.jpg

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Found the culprit is defiantly blown head gasket!

jatubevy.jpg

Cylinder head removed!

eze6u3yq.jpg

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
It was a Almera Gti standard head gasket. I buying a pulsar one

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
does the cylinder head NEED to be skimmed? can i not just clean up the head gasket area and fit a new head gasket? i didnt run it long after the head gasket went and the temp gauge never went above normal.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
does the cylinder head NEED to be skimmed? can i not just clean up the head gasket area and fit a new head gasket? i didnt run it long after the head gasket went and the temp gauge never went above normal.

Get a straight edge and see if the block and head are warped. If fine then clean up using sharp implements and high grade sand paper.

And you can use cheap gaskets , just if not mapped properly you are you going to get DET.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
have a search on the nistune forum andy (most of them are sr20 anyway iirc) and you will see why your N/A sparkmap is det prone

why do i get the feeling my car is built wrong again :( so ill prob need a remap of a standard almera ecu? Couldnt i just use a pulsar ECU?

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Get a straight edge and see if the block and head are warped. If fine then clean up using sharp implements and high grade sand paper.

And you can use cheap gaskets , just if not mapped properly you are you going to get DET.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mine isnt mapped thats the thing. apparently ive got 2 extra injectors at inlet manifold. running standard almera gti ecu :(