• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

And so it starts!

JasperFoxx

Ex. Club Member
So being new to Micra, of course it all starts with buying the car itself. And here it is:

micrafront.jpg

micraback.jpg

micradash.jpg

Bought from user g_atrill for the princely sum of £350, of course, it wouldn't take long for me to start work on it.

The first thing I did was fit LED brake and tail light bulbs, an LED 3rd brake light in the back window and SMD LED bulbs in the front headlights.

I was happy with this as a start but of course, things moved on from here. Annoyed with the Noddy horn, that soon got replaced with a pair of Stobel Hi-lo's I had fitted to an old rover. Then I fitted a mushroom filter from Ripspeed (erk, why did I do this! It's only temporary, a better one will come soon enough) and some old ducting I had from the Rover to run from the front grill to the filter. I also fitted an old oil catch can I had for the breather pipes. Here's the result of that:

enginebay.jpg

and a close up on the filter and catch can:

filterandcatchcan.jpg

At this time, I'd also bought a steering wheel and boss from MartinB so fitted that along with a new gear lever and gaiter (the horn did have a shiny pad but I've removed it and am waiting for my new domed black and silver Nissan replacment):

interiorwork.jpg

I then got a little bored so decided to take a heatgun to the Micra and 1.3 stickers on the boot leaving just SuperS like this:

oldzorst.jpg

and then decided it was time for a new exhaust, hence:

exhaust.jpg

and the result of this was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKEcfClX7PA

Full system from Primary cat back, 2" bore all the way through, secondary de-cat, only backbox now, no centre box and a 2" tail. All custom made for £280 by Infinity Exhausts (www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk)

And thats as far as I've got. There are a lot of future plans, these being:

Almera/Pulsar front brakes
Micra SR/march rear beam with discs
Alloy wheels (possibly 15" Team dynamics Pro Race 1.2s)
Tidy up the bodywork, potentially a respray as it's got lacquer peel on the roof and lots of dings and scuffs.
Coilovers of some description
Eventually I'd like to put a GA16 under the bonnet.

I shall keep this thread update with any new developments :) Thanks for looking!

All feedback/suggestions/crit welcome.

OP
OP
JasperFoxx

JasperFoxx

Ex. Club Member
No real big updates, did do an oil and filter change on Sunday. Selecting the oil was the hardest choice ever :laugh:

superslol.jpg

It had to be done!

James

Chairman
I cling on to my Micra roots by using Mobil Super S oil still :laugh:

Hopefully one day I'll have a K11 again as a project car!

Car looks good, and I like what you've done to it so far! :)

James.

OP
OP
JasperFoxx

JasperFoxx

Ex. Club Member
Whoops! MOT fail! :doh:

1) offside headlamp aim too low and too far to the right : Easy fix!
2) Nearside front lower split pin missing (suspension arm locating pin locking device missing) : Easy fix! New pin needed.
3) Offside front CV joint gaiter split : Just put a new one on 3 weeks ago! Looks like it was ####e rubber so will be going back to manufacturer for a refund.
4) Offside front lower suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint : This is the knock I've been struggling to find! Cheap fix, £8 for a ball joint :)
5) N/S/F crossmember has excessive corrosion : See below
6) O/S/F crossmember has excessive corrosion : Expected, I have a replacement panel to go on! It's only surface rust at the mo, no holes so was hoping for an advisory. Ah well!
7) Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition : VOSA themselves have advised me this is a load of ######## and will arrange for one of their adjudicators to be at the test facility on re-test. It's under 90db on fast idle so should have been a pass with advisory VOSA say!!

Advisories:

1) Offside floor seat belt anchorage is corroded : again, easy fix, wire brush, rust treatment and lots of paint!
2) Nearside rear tyre worn on inner edge : I know, thats why I moved it from front to back :p Will wait for fronts to wear out now.
3) Oil leak from gearbox : My bad! Overfilled the box and it's spat it all out the breather :blush:

Not too bad at least :)

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
i love when MOT stations just make stuff up, they are hoping that you will say, "make it pass, take my money"

OP
OP
JasperFoxx

JasperFoxx

Ex. Club Member
well, i've had a few weeks of madness and have made no progress to the car, thankfully have not really needed it to go anywhere though!

Got 2 new ball joints to fit, decided to do both as I've a trip to Germany later this year coming up! Better safe than sorry as they say!
Also got a grand total of 864 LED's to fit xD changing everything to LED, front sidelights, front indicators, wing repeaters, rear brake lights, rear tail lights, rear indicators and number plate lights :)
also got some mesh coming to open mouth the grille and bumper on the front and will also cut an air outlet and mesh this in the rear bumper too!
Also finally picked up a nearside euro rear lamp so I have two fog lights! Eventual plan is convert the bottom lamps into another brake and tail set, then fit a nice shiny new LED fog lamp i've bought down where the air outlet will be cut into the rear bumper!
Also managed to get a new passenger wing in FL1! So that will replace the dented and rusty one (previous owner had a 4x4 reverse into it!)
so yeah, will be back on the road and transformed a little bit too :) then the fun stuff starts!

pics will follow of the above and below as and when I sort it all out.

Next few additions:
Rover 25 alloys, someone on here has a black set on their Micra, look pretty sweet ^^
Nissan Pulsar GTI-R front brakes
Micra rear axle with disc brakes
Whiteline front and rear ARB's
Full polybush kit all round
Adjustable panhard rod of some sort
Some sort of suspension kit, will need firm dampers, soft springs and no more than 40mm drop.
Weight loss! Already started stripping crap off it I don't need. Soundproofing? Who needs it? :p

body mods:
Hopefully a full Nismo kit (front and rear splitter and sideskirts if they did them)
Black headlights and spots (will do these in the summer when the better weather arrives)

and eventually to round it all off, a GA16 lump for now until I can afford to import and fit an SR16VE lump :D

I now have the finances to back me up and the right frame of mind. Also don't need the car as a daily driver anymore so I can play with it all I want!

OP
OP
JasperFoxx

JasperFoxx

Ex. Club Member
OK, weekend update. The front panel is now welded, seam sealed and waxoyl'd up and I've also waxoyl'd the arches.

The FL1 N/S/F wing from ebay should arrive by next weekend in time for the rebuild. Just the ball joints and CV boot to do, then the front end can go back together.

Also having to return 4 of my LED bulbs as they caught fire!! o_O dodgy wiring inside I think so they're being returned.

OP
OP
JasperFoxx

JasperFoxx

Ex. Club Member
Great news! The Dacia Sandero will.....*thud*

Back on track, the Micra is back on the road! :D Sailed it's MOT today with 3 advisories:

Rear coil springs showing corrosion
Both headlamps slight tint of blue (Halfords uprates, pass and advise because they are E marked :) )
N/S/R tyre low on inner edge (as before, will have new wheels and tyres shortly)

Funny enough, this garage didn't even mention the exhaust! Nowt whatsoever.

Total repair bill:

1 front panel : £40
2 new headlights (adjusters were gone on the old ones) : £40
2 new bottom arms : £45
CV boot : £8
2 new front ARB link rods : £8

Most parts were sourced on ebay and were all new in boxes! Bargains :D I love them!

Will be following this mate as ive just got my micra however im nervous to make any progress on it!
Looks good so far :grinning:

OP
OP
JasperFoxx

JasperFoxx

Ex. Club Member
Will be following this mate as ive just got my micra however im nervous to make any progress on it!
Looks good so far :grinning:

Any progress won't be fast, don't really get much time to work on the car but it will happen bit by bit :) watch this space!