An Easier GA16 fitment

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Right guys, have some information which may make the GA16 engine, more of a popular conversion. A lot of people at the moment don't like the idea of fitting the GA16 due to custom drive shafts.

I currently have a GA16 with GA16 Fly and Clutch, bolted up to a CG13 Gearbox. If the engine can be positioned correctly into the engine bay, you SHOULD be able to fit a GA16 into a Micra with minimal fuss. I reckon with modified lower mounts (a little cutting and filing to either the CG or GA ones), along with a standard CG13 gearbox mount, and a new top engine mount fabricated, you could have a GA16 up and running in a lot less time than previous efforts.

On thing though, as the starter motor on the GA is engine side, and on the CG it's gearbox side, there is a hole where the CG starter should be, a plate welded/bolted/sealed on would be needed, although nothing major!

The above information is given in good faith without liability

As my micras being stripped, I'm not going any further into this, anyone fancy a GA16 attached to a CG box, make me an offer.

Ollie

Does the CG13 box mate up to the GA16 engine perfectly or is there some 'jiggling' to make it fit ? the gearbox should be up to the job as well I take it as there are turbo 1.3s out there with the standard box.

OP
OP
ollie240585

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Yes, If I were honest I would fit the 1.6 loom if you have one laying around, the distributor plug is a straight fit but does require the wires to be lengthened and I believe there may be some differences on the TB although I can not be certain on that!

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
what is the mileage on the engine

if you used this method the engine would be sitting away from the chassis leg enough for the waterpump also every mount would have to be custom to make the engine sit high enough or you have the problem of the sump and speedhumps

Yes, If I were honest I would fit the 1.6 loom if you have one laying around, the distributor plug is a straight fit but does require the wires to be lengthened and I believe there may be some differences on the TB although I can not be certain on that!

That's why I would get a full car to cannibalise, all the bits I would need in one buy.

Broony

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
when i tried my ga16 conversion it was a p11 engine and the cg13 box didnt mate up as the starter moter was on the wrong side

OP
OP
ollie240585

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
Which I quoted above, if you use the GA16 fly and clutch, remove the CG starter, use the GA starter, and just cover the hole up.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
what is the mileage on the engine

if you used this method the engine would be sitting away from the chassis leg enough for the waterpump also every mount would have to be custom to make the engine sit high enough or you have the problem of the sump and speedhumps

Go dry sump ;)

Also, if you get a sporty GA clutch, then there's no reason why this wouldn't be an excellent route.

zanes

Ex. Club Member
This is really beginning to tempt me, as a CG13 reasonably well tuned will put out ~95hp. GA16 produces more as standard

Broony

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
a few things to consider before doing this are:
1.Can you afford to do the convertion??
2. Can you afford the insurance of a bigger engine swap??
3. You need a spare car for daily driving as you may hit hickups on the way and be left without a car.
4. found a suitable full doner car, as you have all the bits you need from the primera.
5. space to do the conversion

Once you are confident you can cover those things then i see no problem in doing this:)

zanes

Ex. Club Member
1. Yes
2. Not yet, but I would be thinking about doing it in a couple of years
3. Cycle every where during semesters
4. No problem finding a relatively mundane nissan
5. No problems.

Of course, if my placement goes to plan in a few years I may just buy an ST.

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
it think the main problem is going to be getting the clearance between the pulleys and the chassis leg as the ga16 is longer than the cg13 and the gearbox wont be able move cos the driveshafts

OP
OP
ollie240585

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
I agree with you there Toney, doing it this way will limit the positioning you have with the engine. I'm not going any further with this, I just wanted to try it out, I will happily let someone have the GA16, as I think i'm just going to remove the TB and the injectors and scrap the rest.

So i'll have a GA engine going, if anyone wants to give this a crack?

Please PM me if you are interested. I'm in Kent before you ask!