Amped speakers hum / whistle

OP
OP
Igloo

Igloo

Ex. Club Member
Igloo, do this if you can:

- Disconnect the RCA leads but have the amp wired up as normal, including the power/ground, REM cable, speaker cable, etc.

- Power on the headunit as usual, so that the amp turns on. Do you still get the noise and engine interference on acceleration?

Don't just assume its your new amp causing the problem.

There is still white noise, no whine.

Cheef, Can we try that later? I have a switch here to use. I'm just wondering if it's my HU.

This means we can get rid of another suspect :)

(2 way switch (on and off) i presume is ok? and you just wire the remote back on itself?)

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
You wire the remote to the positive and when power goes into the remote the amp turns on, kinda like a relay.

The voltage drop is kinda ok considering the length of cable but the voltages are kinda low at both ends.

OP
OP
Igloo

Igloo

Ex. Club Member
So remote to the positive from battery?

And the voltages did seem a bit low, Will try a running test in a bit. If you want.

Cheef

Buy & Sell Member
Matt its not the voltage you should be worried about. Ill have a look at your alternator. and work onwards from there.

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
I skimmed the thread so sorry if I double post... are you running power and rca together i.e. do the wires run in a group down one track or seperately?.. Id try put one set down one side of the car.. and the other down the other side..

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
That voltage is fine, and that voltage drop from battery to amp is fine, nothing to worry about there.

Anything above 12v is NOT low either, especially with the engine off! Thats what it should be. With the engine running they should be around 14v.

How loud is the hissing coming from the amp? Also, what are the settings on the amp itself? It would be easier if you could take a photo of them then I can double check them.

One more silly question, do you only get the noise from the headunit with the engine running, or when its off too? If it happens when its off, you have another problem.

I very much doubt its the amp itself, JBL have quite a good reputation with regards to product quality.

You could always send it back and swap it for another one if you really think its at fault.

OP
OP
Igloo

Igloo

Ex. Club Member
It's the speakers which hum hiss and whine (whine only when engine is running).

They are amped of the JBL amp.

It's not really loud, Loud enough to be a pain in the arse.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
well i live in evesham?! where bouts are you?

i had this problem in my red micra......RAC leads sperate from the power cable.

suppressor didn't work. re-ground my alternator.

pull out head unit and made sure all wires weren't twisted round each other..

then it just stopped after putting the headunit back in.

OP
OP
Igloo

Igloo

Ex. Club Member
Had enough of this, I've nearly wrecked things in the process.

I've had to replace some of the wiring clips due to taking them out so many times.

I've completely stripped everything out, and put it back in again. Next trip is going to be to a local audio shop and let them have the car.

Cheef

Buy & Sell Member
Had enough of this, I've nearly wrecked things in the process.

I've had to replace some of the wiring clips due to taking them out so many times.

I've completely stripped everything out, and put it back in again. Next trip is going to be to a local audio shop and let them have the car.

Thats great. I offer professional help for free, and youd rather pay to have it done. Nice.

I've got the same issue now, went from one amp to 2, RCA's are split ofc. Amp 1 is for 2 6x9's in the parcel shelf, and will be doing front door speakers too, amp 2 is a mono for the sub. Getting the alternator whine is annoying. Going to change the earth point to under the seats and shorten the ground cable, I think mines about a meter long now, but didn't have the issue when I had the one amp.