Alto spring / Corsa shocks issue - possible panhard rod issue?

I've fitted alto springs and Corsa shocks to the rear of my super s, and a Nodspeed panhard rod to sort out the axle alignment and I'm having a couple of issues.

I'm running 15x7 et20 konig rewinds, on a 195/50 tyre - and I'm getting scrubbing on the rear arches, which I assumed was down to the way I'd set the panhard rod up.
So out came the tape measure, and I measured (by eye) from the upmost edge of the top of the mudguard, to what I could see as the outmost edge of the tyre, and played around with the panhard rod until they looked even both sides.

I'm still getting scrubbing from the drivers side, but it's seems to be slightly lower on the drivers side... Am I missing something here??

OP
OP
slimothy
That certainly answers one part of this then- cheers Frank :)

What about the slight difference in ride height?- any thoughts?... I can get two fingers in easily on the passenger side, but it's a tighter fit on drivers side

OP
OP
slimothy
Just had a thought- if the panhard rod is adjusted to slightly bias the nearside, that would cause a slight ride height change on the offside no?...

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Were the alto springs new?
Also, try removing the panhard rod and seeing how the car sits then, thet'll eliminate the panhard rod being the cause and its simple enough to do :)

OP
OP
slimothy
No Andy (cheers for taking a peek :)) they were used, but in reasonable nick...

I shall do as you say and whip my rod off when I get chance and see if that makes any difference

Mine sits lower on the drivers side too. I've swapped springs loosened all the suspension arm bolts removed the panhard rod. Nothing worked. Let us know if you solve it.

frank

Club Member
the p/rod only pushes sidewards tho, it wont effect the height,
this is why i personally only fit the alto springs on the front, and cut the stock rears to suit (at different lengths if needed)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Chances are with used springs they've worn some. Not sure how the alto spring method works as I've never really gotten involved with it, but doesn't seem complex

Pan hard rods can in a very little sense affect height. They're like a 1 way arb/droop limiter for lack of a better description. It can't pull the axle off the floor physics won't allow that. So the body of the car moves instead. Especially if its reached its limit before the shocks have

OP
OP
slimothy
Right!
Got to the bottom of this, but in doing so, created a brand new problem!

Turns out the springs had become unseated from the rubbers at the top of the spring- one had slid sideways and the other backwards... Causing the height difference.

Now I think I've got the panhard rod adjusted so that the track is somewhat level on both sides- but the new problem is that ive lost some ride height in the process of removing the rubbers, and the car scrapes terribly on both sides now!!!
Arrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
slimothy
Andy.... I'm an idiot.....

....stripped the back end down tonight, only to realise I'd put the seat rubbers and turret rubbers in the wrong way (and consequently the springs in upside down!)

Doh!!!!

OP
OP
slimothy
the p/rod only pushes sidewards tho, it wont effect the height,
this is why i personally only fit the alto springs on the front, and cut the stock rears to suit (at different lengths if needed)

Just a quick one Frank- have you experienced squeeking from the fronts?
Can't help but thinking it might be the bump stops rubbing on something?
The shocks were brand new and the alto springs used- only notice the squeeking at low speeds, and I've tried pushing the car down on the wing with the bonnet up- it's definitely the struts squeeking somehow.... Driving me nuts!

OP
OP
slimothy
Only thing I can see that looks a bit worn is the track rod end bushes and ARB link rod bushes- but they're not bad enough to fail mot...

Sound definitely seems like it's coming from the shock area though :-s

OP
OP
slimothy
Frank - do you refit the dust socks?

I don't recall it doing this when I first fitted them, just wondering if the top of them has maybe slipped off the perch and got caught in the spring somehow...

OP
OP
slimothy
Got to the bottom of this now!

Ran the car for a day with no dust socks- squeek remains...

Ran it for a day with no bump stops- squeek gone!- and the steering was a little lighter (not loads but enough to notice!), so it seems the car is literally sitting on the bump stops!
Only issue with taking them out has been that it scrapes like a b***h on cornering- so until I get the wheels sold, the bump stops have gone back in and I'll have to just deal with the squeek :p