Alternator Swap, help needed (again!)

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys, sorry for asking all the questions but i need help again!

Before the new alternator arrives i decided to take the old one off the car, however this has caused some difficulty's, surprise surprise!

First i disconnected the battery, i then disconnected the power cables running to the alternator, its the removal of the alternator itself that is causing problems.
Has anyone done this job before? If so would they give me some advice as where to proceed from here, i have tried to remove the bolts that look to be holding it, i haven't tried the bottom one yet, but the top one is locked solid, i don't dare to put any more pressure on it with my ring spanner as it feel like its ready to slip and smooth the bolt. I can't get my socket set in there because its to close to the edge of the engine bay and it won't quite fit.

To summarise the points i need help with are:
- De-tensioning the serpentine belt
- Removing the mounting bolts, any tips and tricks!
- Removing the alternator, out the top, or through the bottom?

This is a 1996 Pre-facelift K11 Shape, any help would be much appreciated thanks! :)

- Rich

OP
OP
Ceirwan

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Update! :

Managed to get the alternator bolts out with lots of swearing, bumps, bangs, more swearing with a bit of screaming this time and lots and lots of WD-40!
To get the bolts out you need as small a socket as you can get in 14mm, simply cos the space is so restrictive

However with the bolts off the alternator is still stuck, it rocks backwards and forwards on the bottom bracket, i can't seem to get it off even though the bolts are removed... am i missing something, can some help me?

Also does anyone know how to take of the round plastic connectors that hold to together the black plastic cover that stops to much water splashing into the engine bay? I can't seem to figure them out and it would be easier to work in there with that thing out the way!

frank

Club Member
ceirwan

just friction, use a bar at the back and lever it towards you
those clips have a plastic screw in the middle but they tend to just spin round, flick it out with a sharp tool
best get someone to check your belt tension when youve finished

frank

OP
OP
Ceirwan

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Thanks very much! Wrecking bar it is!
The belt tension i tested before i removed the old one so i hope i can get that right... i don't really have anyone to check it!

On another note, since i've had enough of it dropping into my eye when i'm under car, what amount of rust is normal on the front cross bar thingy of the suspension thats just behind the bumper. (is it front cross member?), i take it some rust is normal as the car passed MOT just 1 month ago...

frank

Club Member
rich

yes that,s probably the first place to rust on a k11, i had a couple of half inch holes on mine, i filled mine with sealer and sprayed the x member with underseal.
next place to show rust bubbles usually is the rear quarter panel/ sill.
well worth pulling r/q/p trim off and spraying chain oil behind the seatbelt reel

frank

OP
OP
Ceirwan

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Another problem! The new alternator arrived, although it was supposedly for models between 1992 and 1997, it seem to have a different electrical connector, mine had two round conectors that screwed in, this one has one of those and a a plastic sort of rectangular one, rectangular but with smoothed corners and a few small pin connectors inside, i take this means this alternator will not fit my car... any ideas?

frank

Club Member
rich

my 94 k11 has that plug with 4 pins, the 2nd pin from the left goes to the dash light, without that connected the charge won,t kick in, i assume the other wire (third pin) tells the throttle body to crank up the tick-over under high drain,

frank

OP
OP
Ceirwan

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Well thats odd, my existing alternator has only a +ve bolt which you slide a connector over, and another for the ground i guess... theres no 4 pin system...
Is it because mine is the basic model the shape with less features?

I certainly hope that the regulators built into my alternator or this replacement will be a waste of money!

I think i've found the correct one on ebay this time, from the picture its EXACTLY like mine! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nissan-micra-...ryZ10402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OP
OP
Ceirwan

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
I'm based in Hull, england. However i bought the type that i need off ebay, double checking the photo this time! If i do end up needing it i will PM you regarding it, many thanks for your help!

I would have thought that the car had been modified to take this alternator, but it looks like an original install + the alternator i am buying comes of an N reg micra, which would be a K11 right? 1994 or 1995 i'd guess, it doesn't look like the installation was bodged in or anything... tsk a little annoying!

I don't have any of the leads for that 4 pin plug showing so i can't think of any way to convert it to run with it so i had to buy this other one... maybe its because my Micra is the basic Shape 1.0 model..?

OP
OP
Ceirwan

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Alternator is now fitted (well i actually just swapped the regulators between the one i bought and my old one, because my old one was in better overall nick.), engine running smoothly, output at a lovely 14.37v. :)

A big thanks to everyone who helped! Thanks

Rich
(Just need a new battery now :) )