Alternator Relocating (hard???)

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Ok theres some work im going to be doing on my car, hoping to do it all within 6 hours.

Im just posting this here so anyone that has done this can let me know of any difficulties/etc.

I am also hoping to do this with engine in the car/etc so please let me know if access is going to be a problem for me.

Basically what i need to do:

Remove alternator,
Remove air con compressor,
Remove alternator and air con compressor mounts,
Whilst everything is out the way, change the pas/water pump drive belt,
Put on non-aircon alternator mounts,
Mount the altrenator (onto the engine ;) for those with dirty minds),
Put new alternator drive belt on.

As mine was an aircon micra but the aircon rad and all that is removed it doesnt have the metal blanking plate for the left hand side of the engine which might help accessability (see pic)

OK any comments/things i should know/difficulies i will find then please!!

Thanks guys :)

(pic)

EngineBay.jpg

OK any comments/things i should know/difficulies i will find then please!!

Theres one thing to remember, when you have air con on a K11 your hands are always too big and inflexible to fit anywhere in the engine bay, I'm finding that out at the minute, but what you're doing 'should' be pretty straightforward and is something I'll be doing at some point.

I wouldn't worry about the metal blanking plate tbh, I havn't got one. I did this on my car last year, its pretty straight forward if you have the genuine bracket and bolts, I didn't encounter any problems when doing mine although I only fitted a new alternator belt, not the other one.

It's pretty tight down that side of the engine (be prepared to loose a few knuckles) but when the compressor is out of the way theres looooads of room!!

James.

Back