Alternator mystery! GRRR!

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Getting really pee'd off now!!!

I cant get any fan belt to get on the alternator when using non-aircon mounts.

I took the idler pully off thats no longer needed. Took the compressor off, took all mounts off and put standard k11 mounts on instead. Put alternator back on (half on so its very easy to push it right against the engine for easy fitting for the belt) but the belt will not go on at all. tried everything.

THe part numbers for all the alternator mountings from 1993-2002 are the same for non-aircon micras, so theres no worry about which mounts i got as they are fine.

The part numbers for the non-aircon alternator fan belts from 1993-2002 are also the same! so i must have the right belt too.

so WTF is going on with my ####ing car!

any ideas? :S

Ok bit of an update...

Finally got it on with a dodgy idea of holding the alternator free, putting the belt on it and then bolting it into the bottom mount forcing the belt on. bit tense but it will be fine for now. :D :D :D so i can put my tampax away.

BUT...

Whilst putting the top alternator mount on something bad happened. If you see the pic below there are two points where the top alternator mount bolts onto the actual engine.

1 - Is fine.

2 - Is rounded :( head fell straight off the bolt.

It seems dead sturdy (as in the alternator) etc but will this be okay to just leave or will it put too much stress on the other one remaining bolt?

Thanks!!

ps. gotta love the pink writing ;)

P3211294.JPG

thank you!

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
no 1: why don't you go get a belt a little bit bigger

no 2: it should be ok if you only have that one bolt ( as the one left is were all the stress is and the one your missing is a stabilizer) but you may what to get it taken out and replaced later on but it should be ok for now

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
thanks for the reply, yep im picking up a bigger belt tomorrow... well i hope, from nissan lol... also how would i go about removing the remains of that bolt from the hole?? thanks :)

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
if theres any of the bolt sticking out you could weld a nut on to it
or you could drill it out and re-tap it only problem with this it hardened steel bolts so there not the easiest to drill also the block is ally witch a drill bit will go though like butter

OP
OP
R

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
its clean off :( i was abit weary of drilling because of ally block tbh.. do you think it would be safe enough to just leave? or use some sort of strong as #### adheisive that side only thing then is its never coming off again (that or it wont stick at all)...

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
as long as the other bolt is tight you should be fine all the wight is on the bottom mount anyway
you might as well use some sort of adhesive as it can only help
try liquid meatel