Alternative fuel type

Heres an interesting question for you all,

would the micra be able to run on a fuel like ethonal or any alcohol based fuel without major modification?

Having done some research it seems plaes like Sweden and Mexico sell cars that are capable of this, so does anyone know if the mirca is able to?

over here there push vegtable oil............. 2 pumps in ireland sell it lol, its savage dear to to get installed and you have to start on dsl then swich over and opisite to turn off. Not sure if its the same for petrol. Although its 1euro 43cent for dsl and 1euro 25cent for petrol. Never thought dsl would be dearer. Glad i have my micra.

I didn't think you could run a petrol car on vegtabile oil though. But alot of new cars abroad come with something called fuel flex where is allows the car to run on other types of fuel including alcohol based, even 100% alcohol. And as we all know you can make your alcohol (which is essentailly a fuel type called E85?) so I am trying to find out if my 1.0 micra will run on homemade alcohol!!!!!

Saab/GM have an engine that'll run on bioethanal don't they? In California all regular gas must be at least 10% bio ethanol.

Used veg oil works reasonably well in older diesels, but I'm not running chip fat at 2000psi or whatever it is in my fuel pump.

Used veg oil works reasonably well in older diesels, but I'm not running chip fat at 2000psi or whatever it is in my fuel pump.

2000psi??? The chip fat just replaces the diesel mate.

Bioethanol is just alcohol mixed with low octane petrol or high octane depending on the alcohols octane.

Edit: 200psi, think your thinking of LPG liquid petroleum Gas.

So could I run the micra on Bioethonal with no modifications then? Or would this burn the cylinders and seals around the fuel system?

15,000 psi with the common rail diesel engines iirc :eek:

That would be a dated system, common rails are typically 1800bar with some running at 2000bar, (Bosch CP4). EUI/EUP systems have the potential to run higher but seldom go much above this at present. When I was in diesel development we were developing multiple event EUI/EUP injection systems in the 3000bar range.

2000Bar that was it! Mines not a common rail system though, it's a few years old but still pretty modern (Versions of it have been knocking about for 15years or so).

I'd be happy to run an old basic turbo on veg oil but I'm still a little hesitant to run newer engines on it. Especially with such large gaps between servicing (20kmiles in my cars case).

Oh sorry thought you said fuel tank not fuel pump. lol Stupid moment!

Was told that the vw modern diesels were designed to run on chip 50/50 mix but not found anything to back this up.

Back