Almera Sri brakes

mickey&me

Site Supporter
Hi all

Thanks to all of you for information on installing Nissan Almera SRI, brake calipers disc and pads. I have just installed this set of brakes to my k11 super s and i am absolutely amazed, very sensitive braking and stops the car in a heartbeat!

This messege is here for proof that Almera sri calipers, black diamond vented, grooved discs and predator fast road pads work like a charm give me more confidence in stopping my amazing k11. Pictures will follow!

I have only one question to this setup, the calipers fit on fine but it looks as though the brake discs only cover half of the disc? is that right? it doesnt look like the whole brake pad covers the disc, this has got me a little worried? I did use the calipers and mounting brackets from the nissan almera sri and added 1mm washes 2 on each side aswell.

Hope anyway can shed some light on this - picture below for reference to question

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/Micraholic/25042008047.jpg

Thanks in advance

Ash

mickey&me

if there,s some of the pad not in contact with the disc, you need bigger discs really, if its more than about 10mm, the pads will wear in a wedge shape and you get sticktion in the pistons
ideally with oversize fronts you need to adjust the apportioning valve, to increase the pressure to the rears, else the fronts will lock up to too easy if braking into a corner in the wet

Superls --- Im running 14" wheels with 195/45/14 toyo tyres

Frank ----- The brakes are really sharp, and need only a tap on the brakes to slowly stop the car which i am absolutely happy about, I was thinking because im using the same mountings from the almera sri it has put the barke pads a little higher and has about 75% of cover on the discs. I was just wondering did i needed to keep the caliper mounting brackets from the normal k11 micra and add the calipers from almera sri to it?

I didnt think because i uprated the front brakes the back drum will have less pressure, what is this apportioning valve? where is it? and how to adjust? and how much do i need to adjust it?

By the way im having so much fun with the car now especially in the dry but as i have always been so cautious in the wet i never tried the brakes like i do in the dry - i think i have a mild phobia for wet driving because i have had a couple of accidents in wet (maybe cuz i need training) so that why i go to "granny" mode in the wet.

Thanks for all the help so far Frank, much appreciated

mickey&me

coz the almera brakes have bigger pistons, you have effectively increased the leverage (akin to having a 3 foot long brake pedal)
but the rears are stock
the brake apportioning valve limits the pressure to the rear brakes, depending how much weight you have there (connected to the n/s/r of the r/axle)

Hi

I have just put Almera 1600 SRi calipers on my car. I think they are slightly small er than Puklsar brakes as the disc is th esame diameter as th Micra Disdc, but vented. So I could probably put 13 inch wheels on if I wanted to. I bolted the calipers straight onto the Micra mountings and the disc does come to the outer edge of the disc. I have only driven the car to and from the MOT dsince doing it, so it's to early to say hoe effective the change will be, but first impressions are that it is much better. The Almera pads are much bigger than the Micra pads which should help.

Sorry to ask frank, but is it possible to put a pic of the apportioning valve on here so i can have a look in the morning?

Thanks for all the help

Attachments

• PICT0167.JPG
    PICT0167.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 650
my car doesn't have one of these valves, were they only added on the later models, mickey&me has a '95 I believe, his car might not have one.

Mmmmm, maybe it's because mines Jap, it has a different master cylinder, there could be an inbuilt compensator there.

Thanks frank, ill have a look 2moro morning for it, but i dont think i wana mess around with it, i think i have gotten hang of the brakes as i am very light on both my feet. I dunno really! Would you recommend doing this or not?
because i dont feel a difference with weaker handbrake cuzz its a lot harder now and holds the car well enough.

mickey&me

your handbrake will be unaffected, see how you go then, as long as the frontend does,nt have a mad snatch/understeer when braking into a bend in the wet, you,ll be ok,
i,m just a bit wary of brake mods, the factory match the size of the master cylinder to the size of the calipers etc, and motorsport cars have a brake bias valve so they can fine tune it (ie too much on the rear, and the car will spin [bear this in mind, you guys that have lowered your cars], too much on the front, and they lock up)

Thanks again Frank

Yes ill see how it goes, so far ive driven the car for a week and i havent stomped on the brakes too hard (i anticipate while braking, i take my time slowing down anyway) ill have a go on a private road and see how the brakes respond (understeer) and ill update as soon as i can.

why dont they fit??
thats a bit of an odd thing to say if you want them to fit you make them fit fabricate things i have seen 200sx brembos on a micra with the 200sx engine and turbo, and as my brakes are smaller than a regular skylines and 200sx i cant imagine it would be too hard!!
Im having a brain wave, all the bits that i take off the liner i will bung onto a micra!! engine running gear brakes seats etc ha ha RWD in a micra

FYI those brakes look identical to my gt skyline r33

Noone i can think off in the club is running enough power to need such braking power, complete overkill.

Almera brake setup is enough for pretty much any application i can think of, IMO of course.

the reason im changing my brake is because they aint up to pulling up my skyline as they appear to be those almera ones look the same and they are lost within my 18'' wheels

Back