almera gti vs primera gt

Alfonze

Ex. Club Member
Im thinking of leaving the world of micras, but was wondering if anyone has a opinion on either car? Ive seen a mera (98) for £1500 and a Primera for £1700 (V)

both just as good as each other....altough the almera is prone to rust on the rear archs around the seat belt mounts. i have been in both and i like both of them. iam not sure witch one i would choose.

oh right, Ive seen one of both at a local dealers, so Im torn. The Almera is green and primera is metalic blue.

i prefer the almera, not a lot in them, i hear the primera handles better, but the almera is a tad quicker in a straight line.

I cannot say much about the Almera, as I have never owned one.

I could tell you a bit about the Primera, though. As with both of the vehicles, it has the SR20, so the tuning potential is very good. The Primera GT is very chunky and has a very brute look, which I like. It's a 5 door, which you already know, but I think it's nice to have a sporty 5-door. It is also a lower insurance group than the Almera (I think). The interior is pretty nice too, the driving cockpit seems to surround you very nicely. Everything is positioned for the driver to use, which makes it feel that the vehicle is more for the driver.. it's hard to explain, it's just how I felt at the time when I owned one. A really nice huge boot.

Good luck with the choice.

yeah the insurance is cheaper group on primera being group 9 where as the almera is 14. I dunno if I can justify the extra £300 for a car thats a year older and had 2000 less miles

The Primera has a very good handling. Put in some bigger cams, and you will have more fun!

The Almera is faster......here in Holland one goes from 0-100 (km/h) in 6,6 seconds! That's crazy! My old Primera had JWT S3R cams, and did 0-100 in 7,6 seconds (all measured with an RSM)
The SR20 engine is realy strong......but the "older" ones are better. Only thing Nissan has got a bit ####ty brakes. I put on perforated diskes, and that was 200% better!

gr Chrismo, ps mine was Blue metallic too, Midnight Blue it was.......I think. Realy nice color!!

yeah Im sold on the primera, it may be bigger and slightly slower but I doubt Id ever get a top speed out of it legally anyway!

I believe the older SR20's came with more aggressive cams but a different intake manifold. The newer ones have less aggressive cams but a better intake manifold. So it evens out. (I think, I read this somewhere when I owned the Primera.)

The GT is group 14 insurance. Parkers have got it down wrong.

Any way, I hate how the Almera looks, so I'd go Primera, especially seeming I plan to buy one next year hopefully.

Both the Primera GT and the Almera GTi are group 14 insurance.

I believe it is the 2.0l Primera (125ish BHP) one is group 9.

I have a Primera GT, handling wise it is awesome, double wishbone suspension at the front I think it handles better than a K11. Power is excellent as well, the SR20 engine can be driven economically, best i've got is about 45 MPG, although driving everyday, a mix between motorway and town driving I get around 35 MPG. But its got the power there where you need it, sit at 50 in 5th gear, put your foot down and it'll pull up to 70 in seconds and pull to a hell of a lot more! The SR20 is an awesome engine and is quite happy to REV all the way up to the rev limiter, the redline is at 7,000 RPM!!! Crazy!!!

I think they are both fantastic cars, I went for the Primera as its more practical, larger boot, more doors. But I'd say go for your own personal taste as whatever you get, you won't be disappointed.

I got my 1998 (S REG) Primera GT last year for £850 with 6 months TAX and 5 Months MOT.

I'm amazed people are selling them for £1700 still. They're 10 year old rep cars, they should be around or below the £1k mark by now.

And I wouldn't be afraid to get a high milage one, although I have no idea what the rust situation is like on the primera.

And I wouldn't be afraid to get a high milage one, although I have no idea what the rust situation is like on the primera.

Very good actually, spots which are prone to rot are the boot, the spoilers were fitted before they were painted so water gets under the spoiler and rots it from the inside, I doubt you'll find a GT without at least some bubbling round the spoiler, front cross members are similar to a K11, they do give in over time. other than that, same as any other car.

You get that spoiler thing on most nissan cars with a spoiler on the boot don't you though? Especially from around that time.

I really wanna try one of these GT's. All the reviews I've ever read have said even though it's styling looks poor (I'm actually really fond of the primera's style, and the spoilered ones look ace IMO) the ride and handling are better then any other car in it's class from that time. And the SR20DE just sounds like an awesome engine.

You get that spoiler thing on most nissan cars with a spoiler on the boot don't you though? Especially from around that time.

I really wanna try one of these GT's. All the reviews I've ever read have said even though it's styling looks poor (I'm actually really fond of the primera's style, and the spoilered ones look ace IMO) the ride and handling are better then any other car in it's class from that time. And the SR20DE just sounds like an awesome engine.

SR20 is very good! But as I wrote down before, there is a difference between the old and new SR20 blocks! The head is lighter, and there is no brigde between the crankbearings on the newer one. The old SR20 is better for performance modifications!

But the GT you like to buy is a great car! Both in looks and drivebillity, no doubt about that! On thing: Buy a SS-autochrome header!! Those things cost a little, are made of stainless steel, look GREAT, get you more power (around 7 hp!).

Also put the ignition at -17!

gr Chrismo

It truly is an awesome car, I like the styling, the interior is pretty awful though. Part leather with some material which looks as crap as any other nissan of the same era. Primera GT SE is the way to go with the black leather interior. Externally I think they look awesome, from the front, back or side.

SR20 is an awesome engine, which is why it ended up in, The sunny, pulsar, 200sx, 180sx, silvia, primera, almera, early skylines and probably other cars I've missed.

In my opinion, the Primera feels better built than the Almera (I've driven both), this could be down to the Primera being built over here, the finishing just seems a bit better.

With regards to the SR20, what an engine, mine's at 142k now and still going strong, I got it dyno'd at 134k and still managed this:
4147_95891331064_508701064_2184274_7075147_n.jpg

The hi-port SR20s that came in the P10 eGTs are the more powerful, 150bhp I believe, with a redline of 7600rpm!!

I paid £700 for mine, 1998 model with 132,000 miles, most service history, 6 months tax and 6 months MOT, love it! :D

it is a hard choice lol.. i still reckon the primeras interior is better than the almera. and the courlor's of the ones at your dealers, the primera is a better courlor ;)

if i had to choose a primera GT it would have to be a saloon, i preffer them over the hatchs...touring car style :D

i would go the primera mate :)

yeah thats what Im thinking its just getting the money together for one and the insurance isnt to bad to be honest at £580 tpft

i love my almera GTi, but the primera's are lovely cars :)

weight of an almera GTi

1155 KG

Weight of a primera GT

1267 KG

same engine.

you be the judge, however lovely car

Hmm well, I'm assuming the SLX is probably a 1.6, or rather, it's the 1.6 you're interested in?

Well, it's got the GA16DE engine, roughly 100bhp. It's.. a Sunny. I've owned a 100NX which has the backbone of a Sunny so all I can say is that it is a pretty fun car. Not too fast, but it isn't slow. Primera GT is still a better choice, though.

yeah thats true, its just insurance and my parent.

also I seem to think road tax wont be cheap on a 2.0 or maybe Im wrong

Im a big fan of the Primera Gt now, there is one that keeps parking down the road, with the dark oil spill type flip paint, lovely!

Road Tax on the Primera will be the same as the Sunny. I think the lower tax band are for cars which are under 1549cc.

Current prices are:

Under 1549cc: 12 Months (£125), 6 Months (£68.75).
Over 1549cc: 12 Months (£190), 6 Months (£104.50).

It is pricey, so I would suggest to get a car which is affordable for whoever takes responsibility of the vehicle.

well my first choice is a primera gt

followed by a primera 1.6

sunny slx if i can find one

almera 1.4 or 1.6

I've always had this horrible feeling that even though the 1.6 primera will be cheaper, it'll be severely underpowered, like the 1.6 mondeo's from that time.

I've always had this horrible feeling that even though the 1.6 primera will be cheaper, it'll be severely underpowered, like the 1.6 mondeo's from that time.

Depends what you want out of a car, if you want reliability and ok running costs then a GA16 P11 will be adequate, if you want something which growls and moves when you put your foot down, then a GT all the way!!!

Just got my stainless manifold fitted the other day and along with the catback system it sounds totally awesome! :D

Regardless of Almera or Primera, go for SR20 power ;)

good point. I so want a primera or almera now. Just need to think of a way to get the money if it doesnt sell within the next 3 weeks. Maybe put a deposit down?

If i didnt do so much mileage id have a T5 engined volvo of some sort by now lol, cheap to buy, not so to run.

Back