• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Alfonze's Red K11

Right Ive decided to give lowering a bash on my own to save like £50. It cant be that hard can it? Im sure the springs will come with instructions?

the only 'special' tool you need is spring compressors, once you get the shocks off the car it will be really obvious what to do to change the springs.

Il have to get some then, probably cheaper and easier than getting the garage to do it. but if I mess up is the problemo

where do you buy em from halfords or something. dont wanna buy off ebay really unless I have too

I could try as long as I dont muck it up lol.

as far as I can tell I need

lowering springs
a jack
spring compressor
some tools

do I require anything else to lower it?

Right today my back box came and Ive had that fitted already just the springs to come which are also down for today unfortunately I dont have the tools or know how to fit the springs :(

Picture with the ashley back box on. Tbh it sounds slightly louder not much though.

Attachments

• Photo-0089.jpg
    Photo-0089.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 320
fitting springs is quite easy...but take your time. (thats very important) as its the compressing of the original spring thats the hardest and potentially the most dangerous. (dont let that put you off though :) )

Once the strut is removed from the car, use the compressors (one on each side of the spring) to slowly squish the spring...keep checking the spring compresses evenly and that the compressors themselves arent trying to slip off...

once you've compressed them to a point that they are slightly loose / no force being applied to the top mount, you can undo the nut in the middle of the top mount, make sure you dont spin the the center shaft, you hold it still with a spanner while undoing the middle nut.

Once you've removed the top mount slowly undo the compressors, and pop the spring, dust cover and bump stop out...then work in reverse of that, though as the new springs are shorter its a whole lot easier to get them to a point where you can refit the top mount without issues.

just make sure you put all the dust covers,and bump stops back as they were or youre gonna have to remove the springs and start all over again... :)

hope that helps you get an idea of what to do...

Tools wise you only need about 4 different spanner sizes, but as you will need these if you dont have access to a bunch of them youre kinda stuck :)

I dont think I have the right tools never mind a jack or axle things. By the time Ive bought them it will be close to £75 anyway I think. I shall just wait till I get paid again. :p

turns out I do have a mole grip just didnt realise it. So if I do the back ones now what else will I need and will it look stupid driving round with the backs lowered and not the fronts till i can afford ot have the time to do it, having to work every day for the next two weeks could be tricky

What do people think to the rears tinted?

Im thinking of having it done

Attachments

• al70per.jpg
    al70per.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 300
Good stuff, few more things to smarten it up loads would be colour coding stuff like bumper black stips, side strips, door handles, wing mirrors, its easy when you're had some practice!

personally I like the black and red contrast of the bump strips etc it seperates the contrast of the car. If thats what I mean . being a 5 door it probably wouldnt look as smart as a 3 door but each to there own.

oh no Im paying someone to do it id mess it up i know

took for its mot today and it passed with 3 adviserarys.

theres a nail in the front right tyre
engines making noise?
play in offside door pins whatever that means?

offside door pins just means u can lift it up and down i would assume but it doesnt really matter.
nail in tyre probably means it'll go down at somepoint!
What sort of noise is the engine making?

bet your pleased it passed :)

The tyre id get sorted asap, and the door pin play is just the little pin that limits the doors movement (acts as a stop) 10secs to switch out :)

not to sure about "engines making noise" was he more specific? perhaps exhaust?

those lights look really good actually :D better check that they are still legal, you might need reflectors.

that back end is crying out for a smooth boot and a spoiler ;) lol

Just had the spoiler fitted, all there is to do now is fit my side skirts and colour code the bump strips etc

Attachments

• Image000.jpg
    Image000.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 289
List I want doing

Right so the plan is to get a new cam chain fitted

Cam chain £400
Full respray black or Yellow (undecided) £500
Side skirts fitted and sprayed
remote central locking fitted £60
Rear wiper arm and motor £25
Rear wiper control in car fixed £50
New centre cosole and thing round speedo possible sprayed colour of car £15
Subwoofer and amp £100
New speakers £20
Get a new door pin from the mot advisarys list £10
remove the nail from front right tyre £10

Grand total of £1190 call it £1200 either that or get a new car :(

alfonze

the top chain usually wears more than the lower one, so if the lower one is servicable, an option would be to change the upper one only, coz the lower chain is a mission to change (sump off etc, not exactly a diy job ;) )

honestly I dont know it came up on the mot as a advisary. Changing my timining chain I wont defo pay someone to do it for me if it needs doing which i think might be

calipurs

Well today I had a attempt at painting the brake calipurs. only done one side so far using a paint brush... I dunno if its any good or not what do you think?

Oh yeah and I didnt take the wheel off lol.

Both left and right wheels and a picture of the car

Attachments

• Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 306
  • Image016.jpg
    Image016.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 314
Looks alright actually! But why didn't you take the wheels off?!
Don't do the drums!

Also, did i see you're selling your tinted lights? How come?

Back