Alarming jerking motion when driving, feels like the car is braking!

I can't afford to get a mechanics opinion at the minute so if anyone could offer some insight it would bee greatly appreciated.

Ok so this has been going on for a couple of weeks, it tends to be when the car is cold but happens at seemingly random intervals sometimes I could drive ten miles before the car jerks and other times one mile from home.

The sensation is really alarming, it sometimes feels like a slight tug at the back like some is holding the car and other times the car lurches forward as if the car is about to stall.

I've tried mimicking the sensation by releasing the accelerator or hitting the brakes and the feeling is much closer to slamming the brakes but maybe just the front or brake.

My immediate thought was the brakes are engaging of their own accord somehow, my grand dad who used to be an engineer for Rolls Royce immediately made the same initial assumption. He also suggested the spark plugs might be worn out but I have just changed them. I have no idea when the brakes were last serviced, maybe I'll get a chance to jack the car up and take a look with his guidance tomorrow.

I definitely feel like there's a correlation between these kangaroo shenanigans and the cold weather as it only started the first cold morning of Autumn. Some articles I've read lead me to believe it could be a fuel supply problem (related to cold weather) so I'm going to pick up a Bosch fuel filter and install it tomorrow. (current one fitted has a Nissan label, could this still be the original filter???)

Thanks for reading

1997 k11 Vibe 73,000 miles.

link to fiilter I'm buying.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/N...844d690f9939fa87d743949330c7d95bc2ae92&000140

I can't afford to get a mechanics opinion at the minute so if anyone could offer some insight it would bee greatly appreciated.

Ok so this has been going on for a couple of weeks, it tends to be when the car is cold but happens at seemingly random intervals sometimes I could drive ten miles before the car jerks and other times one mile from home.

The sensation is really alarming, it sometimes feels like a slight tug at the back like some is holding the car and other times the car lurches forward as if the car is about to stall.

I've tried mimicking the sensation by releasing the accelerator or hitting the brakes and the feeling is much closer to slamming the brakes but maybe just the front or brake.

My immediate thought was the brakes are engaging of their own accord somehow, my grand dad who used to be an engineer for Rolls Royce immediately made the same initial assumption. He also suggested the spark plugs might be worn out but I have just changed them. I have no idea when the brakes were last serviced, maybe I'll get a chance to jack the car up and take a look with his guidance tomorrow.

I definitely feel like there's a correlation between these kangaroo shenanigans and the cold weather as it only started the first cold morning of Autumn. Some articles I've read lead me to believe it could be a fuel supply problem (related to cold weather) so I'm going to pick up a Bosch fuel filter and install it tomorrow. (current one fitted has a Nissan label, could this still be the original filter???)

Thanks for reading

1997 k11 Vibe 73,000 miles.

link to fiilter I'm buying.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/N...844d690f9939fa87d743949330c7d95bc2ae92&000140
Did you ever find the issue? My 2020 plate has started doing this

Back