Airbag warning light flashing

I've got a 54 plate Micra 1.2SE that's just started flashing the airbag warning light. The dash computer also occasionally says "Airbag warning, please see Nissan Dealer".

I've tried the ignition trick where you turn the key in certain ways and I can put it in diagnostic mode but the light just then flashes one long flash then a few short flashes. I've also checked the connectors under the seat and reconnected them / cleaned with WD40. There's 2 connectors under the drivers seat which I've done. The passenger seat only has 1 connector connected, the white one isn't. There's nowhere I can see for it to go but the seat has the lift up compartment storage so I'm assuming it's meant to be like that?

Fuse has also been checked.

Any ideas where to go from here? Anything else before getting it checked? If I need to go to a garage, should I go to a Nissan one or any recommendations in the West Yorkshire area?

Thanks!

I've had this exact problem!!! ;)
Usually it's a sort of Glitch...if you push or pull the passenger seat around it can sort of "shock" the sensor....enough that the diagnosis thing makes the light flash it's worth giving the on off trick another go...

First turn off the radio and switch the ignition off.

Then…

1. Turn the ignition from off to on.

2. The airbag warning light will stay on for approx 7 seconds, as soon as it goes off (within 1 sec) turn off ignition.

3. Wait for more than 3 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 1- 3 two more times.

5. Turn ignition switch back on again.

Now turn off the ignition for at least one second and then back on.

This should now have reset the light. If the light comes back on again then it would be fair to say that you have an airbag fault.

if you take it to nissan they will charge you half an hour labour to do this <_<...I found that out the hard way when this first happened to mine a couple of years ago...when it happened again recently i found this tip on this site...but i can't find who posted it originally...worked a treat

if your light is still flashing after 3 goes...give it a couple more if it's still flashing there may actually be something wrong with it and it's best to take it to nissan...good luck ;)mine took 5 goes in all and is totally fine make sure you wait the whole 7 second for the light to go out, then imediatly turn it back off...mine did the same thing...after the first 3 goes on off it flashed on long then off, then on for a bit...the pattern had changed...2 more goes and it stopped...

ETA: as for the connectors under the seat both my 55 plate Sport+ and my mums 52 plate SVE are exactly the same, no idea where the other connector would go LOL

OP
OP
jads
Thanks for the info :) I've tried this unfortunately but still the same. Going to try and re-clean the connectors and do this again and see if it helps!

OP
OP
jads
I've just tried the reset again as well as some slight variants on it from youtube and still the same. Are there any connectors besides under the driver and passenger seats I could check?

to be fair if you've tried everything it may be time to take it to nissan, you may actually have an airbag issue...and that could be bad... :(

Good luck

OP
OP
jads
Does anyone know if I'd need to take this to a Nissan dealer to sort the airbag or will my local garage be able to sort it out?

I'd take it to your nissan dealer...The airbag is kind of important :p
Such a shame that trick didn't work but that suggests there may actually be something wrong and it is better to be safe than sorry ;)

If there is a reputable garage closer to you it may be worth giving them a call too ;)
...possibly...possibly renault too...worth a punt LOL

Jads - how did it go? did you take car to Nissan? What was the outcome.
funny that my Airbag light came on just today (9th Sept) and is flashing on and off. Mine is a 53 plate. I will try the "turning on and off" and see if that does the trick. If the sensors are under the seats I do tend "bang" the steering wheel clamp thing under there so maybe this has knocked something? I'll have a look at the connectors to see if i noticiably see anything - although not knowing anything about cars I dont think its wise for me to mess about with it. If this "trick" doesn't work does anyone know how much it could cost. I know £70 has been mentioned just to do a diagnostic check but if the nissan dealership try stating its down of the sensors itself i can imagine that will be expensive or I suppose it could be any element of the airbag/SRS system?

Morning all
Just thought i'd update this - in case anyone reads - doing the above worked for me. I tried the door thingy first (after watching on you Tube - didn;t work). Then I tried above - I automatically tried did it 6-7 times rather than just trying the 3 times first. Fingers crossed, so far, it light has stayed off. I assume doing this it hasn't turned off the SRS airbag system and if there was really a fault with it the light would come back on either flashing or permanently (or perhaps even not come on as all)?
Thank you for the post above and of course previously already mentioned on this website. It is very good to know there are people out there would can help.

OP
OP
jads
It's been a few months but thought I'd post an update...

FIXED! I took it to Nissan who wanted nearly £700 to replace the ECU. I managed to find one on eBay for £40. After eventually getting the T50 security bit (I don't recommend the allen keys unless you're planning to round it off, get a ratchet bit) I swapped out the ECU and it's all working fine :)

Only had this trouble in August 2012 and AGAIN got the flashing airbag light :mad: I couldn't remember what I had to do so reverted back to this trusted website. Will try again in the morning - please I hope it works again. My K10 model seemed to be much more reliable than this one - never had proper services on it. It was only after about 13 years that it finally started to go "wrong" so bought the K12 model in Aug 2004 (pre-reg) - must admit been slightly disappointed with various things going wrong over the last 9 years.
But back to the flashing lights - all keep your fingers crossed for me that it will work again. If it doesn't work does that mean something actually is wrong or is it more so if the light stays on permanently? with the car being 9 years old not really worth spending loads of money on it to get it repaired.

My light was flashing again the other day :rolleyes: ...mum had put shopping on the back seat and slid it back really hard <_<
Told her off, drove home, did the fix... worked first time :p

Shame you've been disappointed in your 04 micradriver :(
I've had niggles, as with any car...but never anything serious ;)

I hope it works for you again...it's happened to me now about 4...maybe 5 times...and this reset has worked every time
if it didn't work first time...I moved the seat forward and pushed it back hard again...then did the reset and it worked....perhaps try that?
...I'd assume this is exactly what the technician did the first time when I panicked and took her to the Nissan dealer ;)
remember nissan will charge you 30 minutes labour to sort it...(I think I was charged £20?...can't remember)...but hopefully it won't come to that...
if there is an airbag issue...you can get airbags from breakers?.... :oops: I don;t know if I would...but it'd certainly be cheaper? :)

the biggest issue I've ever had was a serious braking imbalance, and that was on my old '97 K11...only MOT I've ever failed LOL

My brother, on the other hand, hasn't had much luck at all...He had 2 cavaliers that died, reasons various...
a BMW 5 series that had a major radiator fault...and thus overheated, leading to major engine deadness
....and now his shiny Audi A4, with it's rediculously chavy wheels, developed a "funny noise" so instead of stopping and checking he went out and drove away from home instead of towards it and has bent a couple of his pistons, which have subsequently scraped the sides of the valves...leading to loss of compression and now ceasing of the engine :D
I keep telling him to get a micra :p

It's been a few months but thought I'd post an update...

FIXED! I took it to Nissan who wanted nearly £700 to replace the ECU. I managed to find one on eBay for £40. After eventually getting the T50 security bit (I don't recommend the allen keys unless you're planning to round it off, get a ratchet bit) I swapped out the ECU and it's all working fine :)

Hi with ref to your earlier post about the Nissan airbag ecu & having to get the correct part number ( 98820ax525 ) can you remember if a different number fixed it or it had to be the correct number can't find 98820ax525 for love nor money !!!

I have two Micra's both K12 K9K 1.5dCi. The older one is 2003 and the other 2009. Recently had the air bag on both - older one responds to clearing by a PC diagnostic tool. However the 2009 eluded clearing - so reading the Forum and my PC Tech Manual discovered the ignition on/off routine. The manual did not provide the desired results - simply confirmed there was a problem with the Airbag system. Spent an hour checking the impact sensor connections then the airbag fuse - my friendly engineer had checked the spiral wires too. Anyhow, tried the routine with the ignition 7 times and hey presto no warning light. I realise it may still come back - however will report back if it recurrs.

I had the same problem resetting worked for a little bit but after some hours of driving the airbag light would come on again i checked under the carpet and i found out it was a broken connector thing for the seat airbag so i replaced it it was an 20EUR job now after a month or so and airbag light isnt coming up(phheww).

Usually it's a sort of Glitch...if you push or pull the passenger seat around it can sort of "shock" the sensor....enough that the diagnosis thing makes the light flash it's worth giving the on off trick another go...

Then…

2. The airbag warning light will stay on for approx 7 seconds, as soon as it goes off (within 1 sec) turn off ignition.

This should now have reset the light. If the light comes back on again then it would be fair to say that you have an airbag fault.

if you take it to nissan they will charge you half an hour labour to do this <_<...I found that out the hard way when this first happened to mine a couple of years ago...when it happened again recently i found this tip on this site...but i can't find who posted it originally...worked a treat

if your light is still flashing after 3 goes...give it a couple more if it's still flashing there may actually be something wrong with it and it's best to take it to nissan...good luck ;)mine took 5 goes in all and is totally fine make sure you wait the whole 7 second for the light to go out, then imediatly turn it back off...mine did the same thing...after the first 3 goes on off it flashed on long then off, then on for a bit...the pattern had changed...2 more goes and it stopped...

ETA: as for the connectors under the seat both my 55 plate Sport+ and my mums 52 plate SVE are exactly the same, no idea where the other connector would go LOL

That blue text just saved me. THANK YOU.
It apparently works on the K11 too then.
My situation is that I have an Almera steering wheel, with a bodged airbag connection. I'm just adjusting my steering wheel position (it was right in the first place too :mad: ) and apparently I didn't connect it well. Second time, still a light but sure it's connected right.
Tried this and it worked first time.

Then…

I had the same airbag light issue and after trying this restart method it dissappeared on my first try. Thanks a lot for the help

Then…

This worked a treat after 5 goes.
When counting for the 3 seconds, i noticed a click sound from the car so used that as a guide for when 3 seconds were up.
Also, not sure if this helped.. But.. the last bit, about turning ig on then off for at least 1 second.. I let airbag go out first.
Also, before starting the whole procedure, held the seat adjuster handle up and banged both seats fully back then fully fwd, once each way.

Thanks for tbe tip

Then…

Hi Jen, great tip but doing the process 3 times didn't work for me however after reading Micra Drivers post, I did it 7 times and it worked, no more flashing Airbag Warning light, thanks to both of you.....

Then…

Thanks a lot for this! It worked first time on my 1.2l 04 micra

hello i am having a similar problem with my air bag light its not flashing but is on all the time even when the key is out of the ignition!!! any ideas on this one? i have had it plugged in to a dignostic machine but was unable to read the air bag ecu. help me please

I had the same issue. After reading this I realised that the front passenger seat was adjusted a lot recently, so I disconnected the airbag connector underneath it gave it a blow and reconnected, this issue is now gone.

So thanks for this!

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I did same for my k12. I put some wd40 in the connection and reset the airbag. No blinking anymore.
Instead WD40 I would use "Dielectric Grease", for reasons below...

While living In San Diego, California, US of A, I bought tube of dielectric grease 2001, have used 1/3 of it. I use it on Harley's, Camaro's & Micra's battery terminals, bulb bases, all connectors to prevent corrosion and mailfunctions. (y)

And the all important word there Mika is 'Dielectric' .......your 'common or garden' lubricating grease will not have that property....

At that time i had only wd40. But i would see if dielectric grease is available here in mauritius. I have silicone spray that i often put on battery terminals and they never corode.

Then…

This worked great!! Passed the MOT. Cheers ma Dears! ?