Airbag question

my friend micra went for a check up because the airbag light was on and the nissan garage told him that the car had been involved in a previous accident which it had but then said the airbag light ment that above 30mph the seat belts wont work properly or something like that could some one clear up the situations with safety in terms of the airbag and seatbelt with the light on?
just want to know if i just remove the bulb would it be safe? i think this airbag must be a new one if its been in an accident. i just dont know anything about airbags HELP! :doh:

its just pre-tensioners on the seatbelts pap29, they still work the same as ordinary ones :grinning:
and if you disable the airbags, they just wont deploy

i'm curious, how does the seatbelt tensioners deploy? cos on rebuilding my airbagged 1.3 slx, the seatbelt unit was simply bolted up to the chassis, no electrical connection to trigger it, or is it mechanically triggered when the belt tension goes above a level?

i'm curious, how does the seatbelt tensioners deploy? cos on rebuilding my airbagged 1.3 slx, the seatbelt unit was simply bolted up to the chassis, no electrical connection to trigger it, or is it mechanically triggered when the belt tension goes above a level?

the one that went off when i was airchiseling a rear 1/4 panel off went decidedly BANG paul, and smelt like a shotgun cartridge :eek:

so it's mechanically triggered by strong shock? i suppose that's why its says you should turn that lock tab thing before removing it

A lot of cars have a pre tensioner below the seat, but some have the pretensioner unit fitted within the belt reel, and if the car has been involved in an accident where the air bags have been deployed, then the detonator unit needs replaced hence the smell of "gunpowder"

Back