Air Pipe from Air Box

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,
So Last night i was doing some work under the bonnet and had to undo the air pipe from the box for easyier access however i forgot to attach it again, this morning got in my car and all was fine then floored it and the noise was unbelivable,

Long story short i want that noise.. but dont want to just leave the pipe off as this will let lots of hot air in the engine and i dont want to ruin it..

so im planning to put a new cold air pipe on but wondered where other people had done theres that has worked well as im not planning to move the battery but i still want that awsome noise?

Thanks in advance :)

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
ahh i see, well i am planning to put a cold air feed in which should help performance and should still give abit more of a roar than the standard one, but where do you suggest it runs?

lee k0011

I hate rust :(
Got mine coming out the front bumper to..
ssr's 001.JPG

pollyp

Club Member
the CAI tends to channel that resonance induction noise towards where the nozzles pointing.
if you don't mind the constant loud noise maybe you could plumb the inlet straight back through the bulkhead/scuttle panel where the wiper mechanism is.

it'll access cool air and the loud noise is fed into the cabin via the heater fan inlet/thin bulkhead

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
hmm i dont want it to be like all the time as that would annoy me on the motor way but it would be nice when you stick your foot down and people go what was that then look and its a little micra, thats what im going for :) ive just ordered a Metre long bendable intake pipe just gotta find where to put it, :)

Lee K0011 - Is that it coming out of the black hole in the bumper? Doesnt that suck water in when it rains?

PollyP - Sorry to sound thick but whats the CAI?

I think i am going to try and have it near the front bumper, i am planning to change the pipe for a constant size one as the current (Standard) one gets larger and smaller and has lots of bends in it and has like a conseltina in it aswell, and i always thought straighter was better?

pollyp

Club Member
Cold Air Intake

yea the less restrictive (fatter shorter pipework), less draggy (smoother and fewer bends), cooler (cool source and cooler pathway into the engine e.g. bypass TB coolant line and teflon manifold spacer) and more 'ramming' positive pressure (nozzle facing into and funneling in more air from the cars motion) the better.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Ahh cool, right im basically keeping the standard air box at the moment, i currently have a K&N Panel filter in there :) im going to completely remove the current pipe, ill be attaching the new one, so where would you put it? i would have thought near the front grills will ram most cold air in? however is there anyway to reduce the risk of rain getting in it? i dont want it to Cripple my engine :)

lee k0011

I hate rust :(
I have never had a problem with rain lots of ppl have a Simula set up so as long as you don't go driving through any rivers i am shure you will be fine..

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
ahh okay fair enough, well im hoping to have it just inside the chrome grill so you wont actually be able to see it but it will be quite high up and also should have alot of good air flow :)

topau

Ex. Club Member
Someone has made a testing to find out biggest pressure for intake air and it was close to point where lee k0011 has it. I cannot find a link to it, but I will post it if I find it.

I am having a Apexi dry cone filter (like this http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/) just behind the front bumper. Behind the bumper the filter is not getting any direct water spray even during heavy rain. That connected with 75mm pipe and routed using shortest route above the engine works fine and I think it would give the roar you're expecting.

The placement behind the bumper is not as good as through the bumper in terms of getting maximum pressure in high speeds, but it is a good compromise. In thing to notice is that the higher intake pressure starts to help above 100km/h earliest, the effect becomes significant above 200km/h.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
ahh good to know :) well im keeping the standard air box for the moment, im just awaiting the intake pipe to arrive :) so you recon i should try and get it mounted in the front bumper? am i aiming to get it as high as possible to avoid sucking up water if i have to go through deep puddles?

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
That kind of filter will mainly give you "roar" but almost no noticeable power gains. The 15Hpish filters gains in the test Topau posted are nothing but fake. The only true thing in that link is:

[QUOTE] From a filtration point of view, the photographic evidence shows that various induction kits had poor filtration properties, leaving high levels of dirt and carbon on the paper filters. Any deposits that are allowed through the filters, can potentially cause problems with the Air Flow Meters on the car, which are attached to the ends of the induction pipes. It is a fairly common fault with the Skyline, to 'blow' an A.F.M, and a large amount of carbon can be found coating the sensor in the A.F.M. [/QUOTE]
The same problems apply with K11, causing poor idle and bad fuel savings in the long therm.

Check those two vids about pod airfilter and CAI:

So if you're after performance mods, you better go with decat and custom manifold

topau

Ex. Club Member
Yes it's true that 15hp will not be the number for Micra. The 15hp could be achieved with highly restrictive intake system if the engine has originally 300 hp. :cool:

I was just trying to show the type of the filter I have. Nothing more.

Anyway, if you are going to make exhaust mods, you should also dump the stock airbox, because it is known to be restrictive.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
at the moment performance isnt bad :) i just want a little more roar, im looking at getting a full exhaust system in the near future and i will probably look at doing the air box then but at the moment im just going to keep the standard one with the K&N filter in it and the new intake pipe that should hopfully arrive tommorow :) hopfully that will give the slightly better response, force slightly more air in and also give me that little bit more roar im looking for :) only 1 way to find out anyway :)

Not sure if any testing has been done on a micra but a few years ago there was a bloke who did extensive air temperate tests on minis and found after something like 25mph the whole engine bay was the same temperature as the outside air. This research pretty much put a stop to a few of the aftermarket induction systems.

It would be interesting to see similar tests on the likes of the micra although I got a feeling the result will be the same.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
yeahh im sure it will be the same :) it would just be nice to use a presure gauge when mounting the air intake so i can see where the best place to have it is :)

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it thus far, but the stock air intakes have a resonator on them, which is there to remove some of the induction sound. Could always have a go at removing this and patch the hole up? Might get you a bit more growl. I think my K11 intake had bellows on it too so could smooth them out for a little bit more too.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
I see so thats what the flexible bit is for next to the air box, ive orderd a compleatly straight intake pipe so ill mount that as soon as it arrives and might get abit more of a roar :p and hopfully make the car alittle more responisve while im at it :)

yeahh im sure it will be the same :) it would just be nice to use a presure gauge when mounting the air intake so i can see where the best place to have it is :)

Ah ok so your hopeing for a ram air effect?

You would need a huge collector and travel at stupid speeds and then any gains won't even be noticeable. A n/a engine will only use as much air as it need. To force even a small amount of air in you need a turbo or super charger

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
ahh i see :p i would love to do that but insurance wont allow me to just yet :p and i just want to give it the best chance at getting all the air it needs and it to be as cold as possible, and get a little roar rather than a squeek from my little Engine :p

The biggest change to the air temperature would be to bypass the throttle body heating system. Currently engine coolant is passed through the TB to help with cold starting, great on a cold frosty morning but once the engine is up to temperature you're still getting a flow of 90°C water through the TB. Bypassing that would have a huge effect on air temps entering the engine, without spending a fortune on bolt-on bits - all you need is a length of pipe at the correct diameter to connect the inlet hose directly to the outlet hose.

Wasn't sure about recommending that in case the same circuit went on to cool something else, but you know your Micras better than me!

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
hmm would that actually work? im not planning to do that as ive now ordered an air intake pipe :p which ill hopfully fit this weekend, any one got experiance of doing that ^^ and what was the outcome if you have?

pollyp

Club Member
Wasn't sure about recommending that in case the same circuit went on to cool something else, but you know your Micras better than me!

nope, the TB coolant line and the main coolant return pipe runs parallel.

i just crimped mine now

dsc05643zp.jpg
dsc05646ck.jpg

keeping the inlet mani cool helps too. i made my own insulator spacer from ptfe sheet and the mani is now just 30C

scaled.php
scaled.php

pollyp

Club Member
yea my TB coolant line is removed. although note: i've removed the waxstat coldstart mechanism at the back of the TB since no coolants flowing through it, plus they tend to seize solid anyway. the idle control valve in front does most of the cold start idle control.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
ahh i see, well mines the newest before the change to the k12 so im guessing mine more than likely doesnt have it.. im sure just the new intake pipe will give me what im after :)

hello guys, a very interesting thread. But just wondering if there are any real noticable benifits from fitting a Nissan almera (N15) airbox with a cold air feed into a 2001 micra 1.0L? I have both of these items and also bought a ADL blueprint panel filter. But debating weather to install?

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Cheers, I would say yes it should make a differnce to the responisveness and also to the pull above 60MPH, I havent replaced the air box i just have the standard one but i have a K&N panel filter and have just installed a cold air intake, and there is certianly a differnce it feels much twitchyer and pulls harder through the gears above 60 and when your doing that on a motor way and put your foot down it picks up better, and at the end of the day you still have the standard kit, it doesnt take long to install so if you dont see any differnce or anything you can always change it back but my bet is you will like the improvement and keep it on :)

Thanks for the swift reply, Now i cant wait till i install. But anyone notice a differance in the nose between the standard and (N15) box when running. I do not want a loud car.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
urm well with my custom intake you do get abit of a roar when full thottle and high in the revs kinda puts a smile on your face though, i wouldent say mines unbarably loud just sounds a little beafyer, how wide is the intake pipe that you have got? and i shouldent think it would be to loud, like i say install it as you already have everything then if you dont like it then you can always put it back to normal, and is the filter you have a performance one of just a standard replacement filter because that will make a differnce on both performance and noise.

The Cold air intake size is 67mm, to fit directly on to the n15 airbox and im going to run the CAI staight to the front grill. I bought a ADL filter which is like a standard filter but is ment to be designed for japanese engines..... what are you running at moment? engine size?

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
i have a 1.4 with the standard air box and a 70mm air intake and a K&N Filter, urm with the set up that your describing i dont think it will be to loud as the filter should block out most of the induction roar..

wow, read through this whole thread and loved it all so far iv been wondering this for quite some months now in what to get for my induction kit, should i get a solid aluminium pipe with a cone on the end, should i keep the air box but stick a british tested pipercross filter panel in and have it coming out somewhere on the front of my car

i want like you nathan i was some roar in my car when i put my foot down but not too much, iv had a brand new sports downpipe fitted in my exhaust system and that has given no performance but more has given a bit more of a roar, and when standing at the back of the car with a bit of revs does rumble and have that racey sound to it.

but which do i go for the aluminium pipe with the cone?, or keep the air filter box stick a small inlet inside that and put a new performance air filter panel in and change to a flexy pipe?

its a hard choice, would love to hear from someone who has tested both?

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
to get a really good roar from the induction a cone filter would be better however these loose performance, however keeping the standard air box or using a slightly bigger one with a performance filter and a cold air intake will also give you a pretty good roar when you go for it but it will keep your performance if not improve it slightly, after putting in my air filter and cold air intake it did feel more responsive and there was enough of a roar to put a smile on my face ;)

:p thats all good then haha :D thats what im going to do then :D, next month il order it all through and then do a post showing you guys what i did where i put it :D with pictures :D

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
cool that would be good, currently i have the hold air intake in the same place that the standard on is but the pipe is just alot larger, im thinking of mooving it though so pictures would be good :)

well, the way im going to be doing the pipe is coming off the box down under the side of the engine (so around it) then coming out near the front bumper, because if it goes over the engine then the heat from the engine will just heat up that pipe so under or around the engine is my plan :)
keep the pipe as cold as it can be :)

oh yeah im not going to have scraping across the floor collecting any dead cats ;D haha, but atm, my kinda mini project is well i sorta have two but the main one i want to do is my front bumber has this huge wide open mouth, but then it gets ruined by the grille inside :L, so im planning on taking the bumper off cutting the grille out then having a wide open grille, so possible have the flexy inlet pipe screwed in this open mouth on the side :), then it will be out the way of puddles and dead cats and get the air it needs, also i dont like the number plate and how it is -.- so im on about getting a square one :) and sticking it on to my front bumper to the passenger side :)

yeah, the only problem i have is that the radiator behind my front bumper is a bit dinted (from the previous owner) so i was thinking maybe get a new one :), different colour maybe :p, because the cold air pipe i have seen is blue so maybe get a black radiator :) instead of the silver one i have atm :) and the other probleem is because i have plastic bumpers that if i cut out the grille in the front bumper what can i put in the gap it would leave, because the grille is apart of the front bumper so it would leave a small hole where the grille used to be

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
if i were you i would cut it out then fill the gaps with filler and smooth it over then paint it and put mesh behind it, that would look pretty good :) i would do things like that to mine but i want it to look like a bit of a sleeper from the front, the back is all blacked out with a chrome exhaust though so its not a sleeper from the back haha

hahaha, well i dont know if you can see the front of my micra but i got some carbon fibre wrap and put some wrap over the headlights and over where the nissan badge used to be, so the front grille sorta looks (far away) like the nismo grille and the headlights look evil now :D i like it, and yeah i like the mesh idea i was going to get some black mesh i think, chrome mesh sticks out too much haha, and i was going to get a full backbox exhaust system on mine :'( but insurance wont let me do it.