Air con, sorry for being a numpty!

Hi I have read many posts regarding this but am after some more advice please.

Car blower works hot and cold, when the air con switch is pressed light comes on but no change in blower temp, engine revs stay same and can't hear anything under bonnet change???

I have checked the fuse for the air con, what a b*****d to get at the,one under the near side head light, although I do have a top tip or I think it is.
The bolt under the headlight can be reached from under the vehicle in front of the wheel this prevents the removal of the inner wheel arch to access the bolt but getting back in is a different matter! I slotted the bracket on the head light and fitted the bolt loosely first this allowed me to repostion the headlight and retighten once in place.....that was after spending a good hr with lots of swear words and a very sore arm trying to relocate, anyway the fuse is ok! :(

Can anyone advise send pics or let me know where the air con pump is on my 05 micra SR. I am no expert but all other pumps I have looked at are similar to a altenator but I can't seem to see this one!!
I have followed the pipe work which leads me to a vertical cylinder to the off side of the radiator but doesn't look like a pump?

Cheers.

The compressor is the thing other than the water pump or alternator which the alternator belt drives. It is small and mounted low at the front. Most likely fault is loss of gas. This happens eventually anyway, but is more likely if the system is not run regularly in the winter as the seals do not get lubricated. There is a pressure switch mounted on the high pressure line to the condenser which stops the compressor clutch operating if the pressure is too high or too low. You can get a top-up kit of gas canister, pressure gauge and hose to fix this, but with your level of knowledge I would definitely leave the job to someone else.

i have a similar aircon problem, if someone gets a spare 5 mins can someone post some pics of the compressor?

are these things easy to change?

The answer is probably yes, if you are experienced in the work and have the necessary equipment. On the other hand if you do not even know what the compressor looks like it would be very difficult indeed.

The likely reason a compressor would need changing would be a catastrophic failure which would have deposited debris in the system, so other parts would probably need replacing too. If it is just the seal leaking it is much cheaper to keep topping up. Unless you have a proper service station with vacuum pump etc, replacing components is always a bit dodgy. If oil has been lost there is no way to know how much, and you will use a lot of gas blowing air out of the system. If you can get the parts cheaply enough it might be worth a go on a kill or cure basis simply because you can never be sure that the professionals know what they are doing either.

Back