• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Agent_Sm1ths Activ

Speeduino standalone engine management has become quite popular recently.
A few people have mentioned it in the forums so I thought let's get one and fit it to my spare Micra.
I'll try and make it as plug and play as possible using all the original sensors.

49989922228_02716f5c3d_c.jpg

Fully sequential fuel and spark for £120. Sounds OK to me.

I'll try and do a tutorial on it if anyone is interested.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Assembly of the Speeduino has begun.
Shouldn't take too long, as its not as complex as the Megasquirt I did a few years ago.
You don't need to be particularly adept at soldering with this board it seems.
That's a good thing, as more people could have a go and get themselves a standalone ecu for pennies really.

49995705077_140bac4ec0_c.jpg

I'm not going to do a tutorial on building it up, as it's literally just soldering components that are numbered to the board.
Also, this is for a coilpack Micra, not the dizzy one.

Ah right okay I see. Was hoping for a tutorial but I understand if its literally just soldering.
I am on a long waiting list for a standalone so it would be very interesting to see if I can do it myself.
Look forward to seeing more posts :)

Ah right okay I see. Was hoping for a tutorial but I understand if its literally just soldering.
I am on a long waiting list for a standalone so it would be very interesting to see if I can do it myself.
Look forward to seeing more posts :)
OK, maybe some of you would like to know about soldering and how to put components on a pcb. I forget sometimes as I've messed with electronics for 40yrs. If you let me know what you'd like to see/know I can work something out.

I guess you could use it for fueling only
Or possibly if it has coil drivers you could block the distributer hole and use it to run coil on plug

I haven't seen what inputs and outputs it has to say either way

I guess you could use it for fueling only
Or possibly if it has coil drivers you could block the distributer hole and use it to run coil on plug

I haven't seen what inputs and outputs it has to say either way
It can run logic coils but not dumb ones that are fitted to the Micra. To run the Micra coilpacks you need bip373's or a Bosch 0 227 100 211 unit like I use.

Ok, so i finished building the Speeduino ecu.

50020135012_469098c63f_c.jpg

50019342298_3be810558b_c.jpg

I did a few videos whilst building it, to give you an idea of whats involved.
You can decide if you have the skills needed to do it yourself then.
Yes they're a bit amateur and blurry, but that's the only camera i have at the mo.
Here's a link to the part one, I'll post more links as I edit and upload them.

We'll also need one of these to convert the VR crank sensors ac output into a squarewave digital signal.

50019481603_22650bd17b_c.jpg

Oh, and one of these to connect the Speeduino to the Micra.

50020271107_f295305008_c.jpg

Just watched the videos from start to finish. Thanks for sharing, I’ve subbed and look forward to more videos :)

Last edited:
I'll upload some more vids today to YouTube. The dual vr conditioner has arrived as you can see from the previous post, so I'll do a vid of fitting that.
I also need to record the firmware and base map loading. Need to get some software on my laptop for that.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I cut mine off at the bends and I'm in 2 minds as to whether some of the inboard pins may be too short.

At least the ECUs are cheap, so I can always take a heat gun to another one. I'm using one for a patch harness to hook up my standalone...

I cut mine off at the bends and I'm in 2 minds as to whether some of the inboard pins may be too short.

At least the ECUs are cheap, so I can always take a heat gun to another one. I'm using one for a patch harness to hook up my standalone...
It should be OK as long as you have a few mm of pin to solder to.
My Megasquirted Black Micra has a patch harness like you've mentioned. If you scroll back a few pages you can see what I did. This Speeduino Build on my spare car is just for fun and to help ppl out with hopefully a cheaper mapable ecu option.
I'll just be doing a simple jumper lead for this to get it going.

Just making up the jumper lead from the Speeduino to the ecu loom.

Had to dig out the ecu wiring diagrams again. Not used these since fitting my Megasquirt so long ago.

50047185596_d2bd210072_c.jpg

Just had 2 questions if you could answer please, that'd be much appreciated!

Would you recommend testing each component before soldering it onto the board or is the kit you bought pretty reliable?

I noticed you were using the 0.4.4c version. Is there much difference between this and the 0.4.4b version? (I've researched online and can't seem to find the answer).

I'm using the slightly older 0.4.3c board instead of the 0.4.4b. I will have to fit ULN2803a chip in the proto area to give me an additional 4 medium current outputs as I want to use the oem pwm iacv and I'll most probably run out of medium/high current outputs.
The.0.4.4b board already has this modification that's all I think.
As for component quality, they're all OK, you don't need to test any of them.

I'm using the slightly older 0.4.3c board instead of the 0.4.4b. I will have to fit ULN2803a chip in the proto area to give me an additional 4 medium current outputs as I want to use the oem pwm iacv and I'll most probably run out of medium/high current outputs.
The.0.4.4b board already has this modification that's all I think.
As for component quality, they're all OK, you don't need to test any of them.

Thank you for the information :)

Finding the videos very useful! Just wondering if there is going to be any more video's on making a plug and play harness or tuning etc?

Steady on there tiger lol. Yes there are more videos on the way. This isn't my day job, so as and when I have time I'll upload more. The next one will be about the patch harness.

Some more goodies have arrived for the Speeduino install.
Wideband for tuning, Bosch 211 ignitor & connectors to fire the coilpacks and an idc breakout connector block just for ease of connecting Nissans 88 pin connector to the Speeduino.

50064763861_34d15b94e7_c.jpg

Been a bit busy at work the last few days so not had chance to carry on the Speeduino standalone ecu build till today.
I've added a ULN2803A chip to the proto area on the board so I can control the fuel pump, radiator fan, output to the rev counter, and have an input for launch control if I choose.
The newer versions already have this I believe.

50087557586_da498f9f52_c.jpg

50087790897_5bb2882290_c.jpg

Final testing of the coilpack ignitor firing and injector sequence checks.
I'll initially run it in semi-sequential/wasted spark as then I only need to use the crank sensor.

50155344196_e9d430fa42_c.jpg

50155582732_be1f2814c7_c.jpg

Just need to fit it into the car to test now, when I get chance.

Will it fire up and run? Let's hope so.

I've uploaded pt16 of the build now which is fitting the ignitor unit to fire the Micra coilpacks.

I'm hoping to get a couple of videos done this weekend showing map pipe install, and maybe a vid on how to make crank and cam inputs to give rpm for testing using an Arduino.

Pt17 of the Speeduino standalone ecu budget build is now out. Map pipe, tacho/rev counter, and ecm relay fit.

I'm hoping, (fingers crossed) to get it started this weekend. I've not got round to fitting the wideband sensor, but that's not required to start the car anyway.

So got the spare green Micra Speeduino Build car started and put the video on YouTube.
Had to book it in the garage for the wideband exhaust bung to be welded on as unfortunately I've broken my thumb and that's slowed things down slightly.
Once that's in then I can get on with sorting out the rad fan issue, iacv, and mapping for a first drive.

On a separate note I've also got the black M11CRA one going in for some exhaust mods, so I'm looking forward to that.

OK, so a little update on the Speeduino budget ecu build.
It's all now up and running in fully sequential fuel and spark(really struggled with the cam sensor input) and is ready for a bit of simple mapping so that it's driveable.
Now it all works I can go about fitting it into an original Nissan/Bosch ecu case.
I'll be putting some more vids on YouTube for anyone that's interested, I've just not edited them yet.

Speeduino Inc Arduino Mega2560: £84
Dual vr conditioner board: £19
Bosch 0 227 100 211 ignitor from: £2.06
Connectors for ignitor: £9
Grand total: £114.06
For fully mapable engine management, not bad that really.

Had a bit of trouble getting fully sequential to work. Turned out that the cam sensor was killing the crank input. After going through the dual VR conditioner schematics I found the issue.
Had to remove output 2 from the board and all was good.

50677450862_ee450ae668_c.jpg

Here's the first drive vid. Went well I thought.
Enjoyed the project. Hopefully it'll help anyone out that's on a smaller budget.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

And so the money pit, aka my Micra still needed something else to set it apart from the majority of other one's that you see on the road.
A spoiler. Nothing too garish or extreme, else the kids won't get in it for fear of embarrassment.
Found one, but it was the wrong colour (pearlescent orange) hmmm.
Took it to the body shop and tadaaa.

34837576423_f4ae9a5e41_o.jpg

Just needed to fit it.
Didn't want to drill any holes in the tailgate so I just bonded it with polyurethane adhesive.

35516218061_4a1397733e_o.jpg

Exactly the effect I was looking for.

Hey there, I’ve been looking for a spoiler like this one, any advice? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many volts is the pulse you are sending to the rpm gauge ? I just finished my speeduino build and its the only thing i cant figure out .

How many volts is the pulse you are sending to the rpm gauge ? I just finished my speeduino build and its the only thing i cant figure out .
Hey hows your speeduino build gone ? have you solved your pulse issues ? gonna be starting a build with it on a QG15DE conversion, should be the same roughly, would love to know how you got on