• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Agent_Sm1ths Activ

So been doing some more Megasquirt wiring for fan control, iacv, and o2 sensor heaters. Mock up wiring all works so now I can properly wire it in all neat like.

36430510243_45dcb4b47f_o.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pork

Club Member
Hi mate, you using the micra 02 sensor? If so, you got a diagram of what you done for the o2 heater wires and signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I'm using the OEM sensor for now. I have an AEM X Series wideband for it also for tuning. After its tuned I'll revert it back to the narrowband though probably. The black/red wire is the signal back to my Megasquirt, the blue is the signal gnd and also going back to Megasquirt. Then I'm powering the heater via the original ECM relay (in the engine bay), as this also sends 12v to the cam sensor for fully sequential operation. I haven't really got a diagram yet as I've not final fitted it all so things will probably alter slightly.

So today I finally got it all sorted and went for a drive using the Megasquirt ECU. I'll put up some info about settings and whatnot and I'll upload some footage when I get round to it.

Cheers mate. I'm really pleased. It was worth paying the extra couple of hundred dollars for it as it works out the initial base tune to get you going, seeing as no-one seemed to have a base map for a Micra. Can't understand why Lol. It's running fully sequential fuel and spark using all Nissan sensors and coilpacks. Just need to get it professionally mapped now.

Last edited:

pork

Club Member
Good stuff, especially with the full sequential stuff........I’ve only managed semi on both fuel and spark

What’s next......turbo?

Had a bit of trouble getting the VR crank sensor sorted as I incorrectly assumed that the white wire was vr+ and the black wire was vr-. I was wrong; it would run, but not below 1100rpm and idle should be around 760rpm. Anyway after looking on Bosch's website I did a bit of rewiring and changed the settings in TunerStudio to reflect this, it started first time and ran great.
I have to say it's a great piece of kit the Megasquirt MS3X, and I'd highly recommend it.

pork

Club Member
The tuner studio software is great

My ecu uses it......did look at making my own mega squirt....but my soldering is terrible

The sole reason for fitting the Megasquirt was so that I could turbo it. There's no Nistune type stuff for my coilpack ECUs. Ed at fusion mentioned that I'd need an aftermarket ECU like Omex/Megasquirt etc. I just opted to build a Megasquirt ecu from scratch as I've always been into electronics.

Last edited:
Yes, that software is the dogs danglies. I do understand though that soldering isn't everyone's forte. I'm fortunate that I've had years of practice and have an extremely good soldering iron. Even for me, a few of the components were difficult. You certainly couldn't do it with a cheap Maplins iron.

Yes I've got pretty much everything. I've had it all for a while now. I just had a lot on with work and such. Not got an intercooler yet. I'm trying to keep the air-con on the car and it's quite bulky and in the way, so it needs a bit of thought. The fan and condenser for it sits right where the turbo and intercooler would normally go.

Wideband needs to be fitted next.

36864023163_5186eb8e2a_o.jpg

I'll have to delete the cat for now as it needs to be fitted before it, but where the narrowband goes is just too hot for it.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So. Cat replaced with an empty one for now. Gives a little bit more response from the throttle so that's a bonus.

So got one of the exhaust bolts out, but this one sheared. Thought it would tbh.

37533545381_b45c38cd7c_o.jpg

That'll be a pain to get out.
Suggestions?

Need to book the car in to have the bung fitted for the wideband. I'd do it myself but it'd void my lifetime warranty.

Car booked in for first thing Monday to get the wideband bung welded in.
I can start preliminary tuning then before taking it to the dyno.

Fitted the wideband gauge and temp loomed in the wiring as I'm not sure exactly where the sensor is going yet till tomorrow.

Hid it in the glove box as I'm not a fan of gauges all over the show.
Just need to paint the bracket black.

37681543132_a6e90fb463_o.jpg

So for the past week I've been driving it solely on the Megasquirt and tuning it myself.
I'm running it a tad richer than Nissan and it pulls a lot harder through the gears.
Need to remeasure the fully closed and fully open parameters of the iacv next so that I can sort out the closed loop idle.

So for the past week I've been driving it solely on the Megasquirt and tuning it myself.
I'm running it a tad richer than Nissan and it pulls a lot harder through the gears.
Need to remeasure the fully closed and fully open parameters of the iacv next so that I can sort out the closed loop idle.

I noticed running a wee richer makes it more peppy and responsive when I unplugged a faulty maf!

I noticed running a wee richer makes it more peppy and responsive when I unplugged a faulty maf!

Yes, running around 13.5 afr is a lot more responsive. Nissan run 14.7 afr throughout the whole map apart from startup for a couple of mins.

So; took out the Megasquirt to do a bit of wiring to add in control for the aircon.
Also need to add more inputs/outputs for the launch control and data logging.

37920237232_e28db8e3f1_o.jpg

Yes, running around 13.5 afr is a lot more responsive. Nissan run 14.7 afr throughout the whole map apart from startup for a couple of mins.

Well my second hand almera maf died a death also (thermistor coil broke) so this last week I've been maf-less enjoying the improved responsiveness! Still got around 39mpg so not too bad...

Another little addition.
Added a switch so I can swap between the Nissan ecu or the Megasquirt.

38258447686_e69f799028_c.jpg

Not quite as simple as that, as there is also a plug to swap as well, due to the fact that the coilpacks can't be fired natively by the Megasquirt as they're not logic ones.

So aircon control wired in and working. I've set it up to increase the idle by 150 rpm when activated, and to shut off on wot.
Also wired up the engine check light just to let me know if anything goes pear shaped.
Next on the agenda is the launch control and flat shifting. Need a clutch switch for that, so a little more in depth.

Last edited:
As I was looking over Nissans ecu wiring I noticed a wire from the speedo back to the ecu.
It sends speed data to the ecu that you can then read from the obd 2 port, and also it increases the rpm without you pressing the throttle. You know when you're at the lights and rolling slowly, the rpm increases.
Now; the Megasquirt can read VSS data so I might as well get that sorted also. This will then give me ability read what gear I'm in and all sorts of other stuff.

Initial testing of the speedo output by tapping into the wire behind the dash.

37616024445_03e220ef49_c.jpg

Only getting 0.5v and very noisy.

Well now that's better isn't it.
I've added a 12v pull up via a 2k resistor to clean up the signal and make it usable.
I'll actually only be using a 5v pull up when I connect it to the Megasquirt as 12v would damage it.

24649688818_11d01306a7_c.jpg

The frequency is half of the speed reading so really easy to set the calibration data.

Last edited:
Just read this whole thing from start to finish and only found out on page 5 that you're in Manchester! Lovely car mate, I'm on Salford Quays with what is currently a pretty depressed looking 1999 1.3.

Cheers. Always nice to get feedback. I'm always having to do something on it to keep it going. I have to really since spending so much on the Megasquirt install.

Gearbox speed sensor is now wired in, setup and calibrated into the Megasquirt along with overrun fuel cut and closed loop idle.
Really need to check and set the dead time for the standard injectors so that I can be more accurate with the fueling.

OK, time for some more tinkering with electronics.
At the moment I connect to the Megasquirt via a USB or serial cable for tuning and whatnot.
Let's sort out a wireless Bluetooth connection instead. Then I'm not stuck to 4ft of cable.
Picked up one of these modules for a few quid.

HC-05 Bluetooth module.
38851557172_b2d8417634_c.jpg

Also need one of these to connect to it via my laptop.

PL2303 usb-ttl
38881751741_429c0eccdf_c.jpg

So the PL2303 sends data at 5v and the HC-05 receives data at 3.3v. Is nothing ever simple!
Well; yes it is. I'll add a couple of resistors to drop the voltage.

Simple resistor divider added.

38881745841_1582423d30_c.jpg

So now that's sorted let's connect them together.

38166503844_b969b81b3c_c.jpg

Decided to setup an lcd dash using a Raspberry pi 3.
Setting up the shutdown script so I don't corrupt the os on the sd card.

39375140491_f1e990374b_c.jpg

If you've read through my blog, then you'll have seen the outside temperature display that i fitted to the centre console.
I've decided to re-make it moving it over to the left so i can add a couple of extras.
First, lets add a remote SD card from the Megasquirt.

24728463137_40bd421252_c.jpg

Last edited: