Aftermarket Tacho Help

Hi all,

Am hoping to get a quick bit of advice. I've got a cheap ebay Tacho knocking about and I want to fit it to my Micra. Its a 99 Facelift with dizzy. I've looked through a few threads but dont really want to go down the route of tapping directly off the coil in the engine bay. Instead I would rather try and use the wiring on the back of the clocks as I believe it is already in place as GX clocks are plug and play?
Can anyone advise me on which is the signal wire?
IMG_20161023_123432535.jpg
IMG_20161023_123447537_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161023_123602188_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161023_123102728.jpg

I seem to remember it being blue with a yellow trace?
Secondly, the gauge of wire attached to the tacho is a very thin gauge. (Same as speaker wire) Would it be ok to use speaker wire to wire it up as I have plenty of that? The only other wire I have is 1.5mm pilfered from the HGV workshop at work and that seems like overkill! Planning to wire the + and - to the cig lighter wiring as this is in place already and the car doesn't have a lighter.

Thanks in advance

This didn't work for me, the wire didn't carry a signal as it wasn't connected to the ecu. Honestly it's so easy to just tap off the dizzy. Takes less than 5 minutes.

1993 Prefacelift GT15 turbo cg10de(t) @ 7psi
2001 Facelift cg10de

Thanks for the reply RYB. I'm intending on using scotchlocks just for ease and quickness (and the lack of a soldering iron) do you think speaker wire of the same diameter would be OK to use?
Thanks again

Honestly I just used a red thru crimp and twisted 2 of the cables round each other and it's been good for thousands of miles. Speaker wire will be fine I'm an electrician by trade and mines just some blue core pulled out of a length of twin and earth! No current or anything going through it merely just a signal. If you want I can take a photo of the exact cable I tapped into tomorrow.

2001 Facelift cg10de

Thanks again. Yeah that would be great if it's not too much trouble. I'm planning on using speaker wire to power it too. Will this be OK or should I buy a spool of 1mm wire? Unsure if speaker wire is in any way different? The wires on the tacho are tiny so can't be taking much current.
Thanks

fadd8329d6b4ab6d51ad48d65facbd07.jpg

That's what colour it is on my car, easy way to tell is it's the bottom cable of the plug that goes into the dizzy.

2001 Facelift cg10de

Hi all,
Well... 18 months later and I'm still in the Micra and... I still haven't fitted the tacho...

I have acquired some piggy back fuse connectors though and will attempt to finally sort it out this weekend!

Can anyone advise me on which fuses to piggy back off for power and illumination?

Cheers

Back