Aftermarket Steering Wheel Problems

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Hey Guys fitted my lovely new aftermarket steering wheel and have a couple of quick questions...
1. cant see my speedo anymore lol anyone had the same thing?
2. indicators dont turn themselves off anymore what causes this to happen?
3. even though the nut is tightened up beyond belief there is still some movement on the boss kit, what could i use as a spacer?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

sounds like you have the incorrect boss, was it a specific or universal one?

apparantly specific but then again it came from ebay!
just thought there may be a way to put a washer or something there i dont really wanna take it off permanently as it really suits the car!

Not seeing the speedo is the wheels problem. It's obviously a standard aftermarket one! Best thing to do is get one the same diameter as the original wheel.

Most bosskits have "Top" written on them, obviously, ensure this goes at the top, or it won`t cancel your indicator (There should be two small prongs that stick out from the boss which cancel the indicator)

Not sure why there's movement! Sounds dodgy! :S

Not seeing the speedo is the wheels problem. It's obviously a standard aftermarket one! Best thing to do is get one the same diameter as the original wheel.

Most bosskits have "Top" written on them, obviously, ensure this goes at the top, or it won`t cancel your indicator (There should be two small prongs that stick out from the boss which cancel the indicator)

Not sure why there's movement! Sounds dodgy! :S

oh crap... thankyou nexus... the prongs are in the car side door is there an emoticon for smacking yourself!
ok two problems down!
just need to sort out the little bit of play. it isn't bad cant notice it while driving home yesterday apart from i have to move a bit quicker like popeye!

any ideas on a spacer or something? like a huge washer? lol

Lol why don't you just drop the steering colom down a bit, as for it wobbling it musnt be on right make shure there isn't anything stoping it from going all the way on or it's just not the correct boss

My K10 had the same visibility problem, the K11 had adjustable steering wheel. You can either lower the wheel or use a steering wheel spacer to bring the wheel closer to you allowing you to see over it.

Lol why don't you just drop the steering colom down a bit, as for it wobbling it musnt be on right make shure there isn't anything stoping it from going all the way on or it's just not the correct boss

well gonna have another look over the weekend anyways, didnt know i could adjust the steering column on the k10?! also the boss had no problems fitting on but it was fairly dark so will double check later it is tight on there it wont fall off just a little bit of play foward and backwards a very small bit of play but it just plays on my mind!

My K10 had the same visibility problem, the K11 had adjustable steering wheel. You can either lower the wheel or use a steering wheel spacer to bring the wheel closer to you allowing you to see over it.

how could i lower the wheel? also any idea on where to get a spacer as have had a look and found nearly nothing at all :eek:

the steering wheel in question!
DSCF1064.jpg

DSCF1065.jpg

If you have a quick release you need to tell insurance and it will put it up, a lot. You also need to tell them about the wheel itself. But yeah that'll space it enough.

dont know where it came from as it was a present! insurance will go up?! surely it would be more secure dont you love insurance companies... i have better brakes *UP* better suspension *UP* why! damn you Admiral! lol

If you add a more secure part it means you think your car is more at risk which is why your premium goes up. Plus it may not be installed properly making it dangerous.

If you add a more secure part it means you think your car is more at risk which is why your premium goes up. Plus it may not be installed properly making it dangerous.

aha! but not by much tried going on confused.com for a quote.
here goes:

with mods - cheapest was £2,699
- expensive was £9,699
without - Cheapest was £584

went on moneysupermarket.com

without mods -cheapest - £632

with everything i plan on doing including lowering springs steering wheel alloys tinting interior painting,

guessed yet?

£743 how the hell do insurance companies work that out! including breakdown cover on TPF&T (Y)

ok well i have found a few quick release's for £40 odd so will go with a nice anodized blue one :p
well see how it goes!

Get the right quick release, one with a key lock, as the ones with just the push buttons aren't road legal as you may accidentally disconnect it at speed.

Get the right quick release, one with a key lock, as the ones with just the push buttons aren't road legal as you may accidentally disconnect it at speed.

oh ok well i wouldnt want that now would i lol can you manage to find me an example because all i have found is push release ones with no key.

Just been reading up on it, seems the ones without locks are ok as long as they are TUV approved

ah okies well ill just make sure thats what i do,
think one is 2.5" closer to me so that should make just about enough height for me to see the 50 mark again (Y)

thanks olly!

Lol, 2.5 inch should be plenty. I spaced mine 6mm with a circle I made and it was just enough so I didn't put the wipers on every corner.

Lol, 2.5 inch should be plenty. I spaced mine 6mm with a circle I made and it was just enough so I didn't put the wipers on every corner.

yeah thats whats happening at the moment lol should be good though finish off around the speedo area nicely plus i can take my wheel off to show people that haven't seen it yet :p

If you still can;t see the dials raise your seat a couple of inches

how would i raise it? besides that i still need to install the drivers bucket seat which i think is a bit higher anyways well see fingers crossed it all goes smoothly... :glare:

well i have the passenger one done and it seems higher but i cant really tell if its the height or the firmness of the seat, ah well i'll make it work out!

Back