Aftermarket steering wheel horn wiring

hi ,
i have put my short hub on my k11 with a aftermarket steering wheel, theres one red wire coming from the hub and two prongs off the horn push? any ideas? also the indicators only self cancel sometimes? does the little brass push thing have to be touching the hub? thanks

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
hi ,
i have put my short hub on my k11 with a aftermarket steering wheel, theres one red wire coming from the hub and two prongs off the horn push? any ideas? also the indicators only self cancel sometimes? does the little brass push thing have to be touching the hub? thanks
Red wire goes to one side of horn push, the other side of the horn push should be earthed to the hub/steering column. The prongs are for self canceling indicators.

OP
OP
Finto_GX
i tried that but it didnt horn, i dont think the hub is touching the little brass spring piece which slides on the metal ring on back of hub, would that be it? the prongs on the horn push? surely there not for the horn no?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
1374878452463.jpg

The brass colour bit (will be on your hub) is the slip ring and contacts a sprung contact on the steering column to provide a 12v feed to the horn. Use a multimeter to check there is 12v between the sprung contact and the steering column/car body (earth), and there is less than 1 Ohm resistance between steering column and the car body (find a bare metal patch or wiring earth point). You might have accidentally shorted and blown the horn fuse during install... but if you DO have 12v then the horn push could be faulty (check resistance accross horn pins drops below 1 ohm when pressed), or the relay is knackered. Take out horn relay and another relay of same amps (lets say it happens to be headlights). Put the horn relay in the headlight socket and try headlights, if they don't work the relay is at fault. Otherwise the horn could have died or there is a break in the wiring.