Aftermarket speedos

Ive got a vague notion of ripping out all of the dash and just wiring in standalone gauges (as ive already got most of the important ones in) Has anyone done this? Trying to save a tad more weight!! Its the speedo im most concerned about, re milage etc for mot's etc, thanks guys

I have a standalone digidash, which has everything needed for MOT's on it. (There's a lot of warning lights you need see) The speedo is supplied with a hall effect sensor which I've mounted onto a driveshaft (think it should go to the rear but mine's a track car too so the big tacho is more important than me reading a false speed when wheel spinning etc) I'm going to try to change it in the near future to use the gearbox speed sensor but priorities mean I haven't looked into it much yet

Thanks for the info, did the dash weigh much? And was the wiring a bugger to get sorted hooking up a digi dash? Sorry for the questions!! (Digidash was kinda where i was thinking anyway)

Nah weighs nothing! No idea on an actual weight but its a plastic box of 150*100*20mm so we're taking grams not kilos.
It was a bit tricky to wire up, but only because none of the wires behind the dash match up in colour to what the haynes manual say they should be so it was a bit of trial and error to work out what everything did, then just cut the standard plug off and splice the relevant wires together. Working out what Nissan had done was more time consuming then getting the actual thing to work by far!

Back