After market tacho wiring?...

Just bought a funky new tacho... Itching to get it wired up but am at a complete loss? Can't male sense of the wiring diagram in Haynes? Can someone point me in the right direction?

The 3 wires I've got on the unit are:

RED - To ignition switch 12V (+)
GREEN - To standard ignition
BLACK - To battery (-)

If that sheds any light? Am I right in remembering that you can wire it up to the fag lighter, except for signal cable?

Please help, wanna get this on asap!

frank

Club Member
Just bought a funky new tacho... Itching to get it wired up but am at a complete loss? Can't male sense of the wiring diagram in Haynes? Can someone point me in the right direction?

The 3 wires I've got on the unit are:

RED - To ignition switch 12V (+)
GREEN - To standard ignition
BLACK - To battery (-)

If that sheds any light? Am I right in remembering that you can wire it up to the fag lighter, except for signal cable?

Please help, wanna get this on asap!
are the instructions in engrish ? green will be the signal wire surely ?

OP
OP
odd_ball
are the instructions in engrish ? green will be the signal wire surely ?

Aye, instructions are in Engrish, but theres not really much instruction in them... Is a general instruction sheet for all the dials in the range with a diagram of each & just basically labelling the wires up with what I put in the post above. Yeah, green is signal. Would I be right in saying the red & black can go to the fag lighter? Then I just need to know where to get a feed for the signal wire?

Problem is, obviously there are that many versions of Micras built over so many years so I'm guessing theres more than one answer? Mines a 99 V-reg facelift if that helps it anyone has similar?

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
i think i had mine wired up to...

live - battery terminal
igination - dizzy
earth- fag lighter i think...
ilmination - side light

was a long time ago tho lol

OP
OP
odd_ball
did you try a search oddball ?
Yeah, but it's confused me more to be honest... Just so many types of Micra etc I don't kno what cable I'm looking for? Also, are people taking the signal from the loom behind the dials?

On that note, are the looms made by VW/Audi? The connector into my dials has both tose logos on and "Made in Germany"?... Interesting?...

frank

Club Member
Yeah, but it's confused me more to be honest... Just so many types of Micra etc I don't kno what cable I'm looking for? Also, are people taking the signal from the loom behind the dials?
yes most of the threads are for pre-face eh, you still have the choice of the blue dizzy wire, or ecu pinout number 2 tho for the pre coilpack k11,s eh :)

frank

Club Member
the signal wire, that you have to tap into oddball, there,s a blue wire in the smaller plug on your dizzy, you can tap into that or else where it goes into or out of the ecu

OP
OP
odd_ball
Right, I think between this thread, some others I've read and the wiring diagram in the Hayne's I've worked it out. Gonna wire the red and blac to the fag lighter, then the green picks up it's signal from the blue out of port 2 on the ECU yeah? Stupid question but the ECU is behind the dash yeah, under th centre console?

Hopefully my wiring will be the same colour as in the manual and as everyone else says it should be!?...

sorry to hack this thread.

i am soooooooo confusing right now cos i am so thick right now. i got same problem as odd_ball. how can i find these wires to connect with aftermarket rev counter. please help :(

frank

Club Member
sorry to hack this thread.

i am soooooooo confusing right now cos i am so thick right now. i got same problem as odd_ball. how can i find these wires to connect with aftermarket rev counter. please help :(
what colour wires have you got jk ?

Dont forget mind if its a C/P then you need to splice the signal wire into the light blue wire with the black stripe going into the plug on the back of the dash, well thats where i spliced mine.

what colour wires have you got jk ?

black wire: engine ground
yellow wire: 12v battery +
green wire : standard/electronic ignitions, such as wire to tacho terminal
red wire: 12v ignition switch +

still i am so thick atm so what can i do? this instruction was so simple so there is no more details tho :(

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm

still i am so thick atm so what can i do? this instruction was so simple so there is no more details tho :(
like you said jk yellow wire goes to battery 12v black is earth, the green wire if your k11 is prefacelift would go to the blue wire on the distributor as skymera said, i have the ignition live on mine rigged into the radio ingition live

jk9194 said:

Belly93 said:
like you said jk yellow wire goes to battery 12v black is earth, the green wire if your k11 is prefacelift would go to the blue wire on the distributor as skymera said, i have the ignition live on mine rigged into the radio ingition live

Yellow wire will be connect to battery +
Green wire will be connect to dizzy (tacho signal) like what skyrema said.

I don't get it on black and red wires :S

Btw it's look like short wires so I will need to buy extend wires right?

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
the black wire needs to be attatched to the chassis like a normal earth/ground wire, and the red wire is a live for the ignition,
i used the ignition live from the radio wiring

Belly93 said:
the black wire needs to be attatched to the chassis like a normal earth/ground wire, and the red wire is a live for the ignition,
i used the ignition live from the radio wiring

Ok I do understand about black wire now. I need to find out red wire so it's in radio wiring right?

Thanks belly so I will do it soon :)