AFR gauge --------------

Hi, wanna ask, the AFR gauge, how is this connected, do i have to get a boss welded into the exhaust to fit a sensor or can the wires get rigged to the lambda sensor without the hassle of welding a boss??

J

h701micra

Deactivated Account
My understanding is you replace your standard narrowband O2 sensor for a wide band one and tap off the signal wire

Ok i thought with the wires provided with the gauge you actually wire them to the lambda / O2 sensor and should pick up! ive seen kits that has a sensor with it and you have to weld a Boss to the exhaust to fit the sensor for the guage to work whilst the original sensor is used etc!

J

pollyp

Club Member
a normal narrowband O2 has 3 wires (signal, heater +ve, heater -ve).
a wideband O2 have over 5 wires (signal, heaters, pumps, ground, temp, etc) and is controlled/monitored/interpretted by a dedicated controller unit.
some controllers feature a programmable analogue output feed for either an analogue gauge and/or the ECU analogue O2 input.

there are two setup options I know:

1. seperate independant sensors.
- normal narrowband O2 connected to the ECU.
- seperate wideband O2 sensor screwed onto a seperate bung further down the exhaust (sensor must be located a min distance away from the manifold to keep heat low)
- wideband goes into a wideband controller
- wideband controller then feeds a digital or analog signal of the interpretted mixture value to a dedicated gauge

2. AFR gauge and ECU O2 signal from single wideband sensor.
- single wideband sensor screwed into the exhaust (check the location is within the sensors heat range)
- wideband goes into a dedicated controller
- wideband controller then feeds a prgrammable digital or analog signal of the interpretted mixture value to a dedicated gauge and/or the ECU O2 analogue input

I bought an AEM gauge/ controller and it stated a min distance from the cylinder head and the standard location was to close.

Personally wide band is the way to go, narrow band is pretty limited in its range

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
like a accurate reading or just a quick skim of the top sort of speed reading style thing??

New skimz an New rimz