aerial on K12.

I had the same issue, assuming we have the same aerial, I got an old rag and some mole grips and mine loosened enough to be done by hand.

I've used the same rag and grips method on a few K12 Micra's so assume they are all the same, as in the whip does unscrew, also I'd support the base of the aerial with another set of mole grips to prevent creasing/flexing the roof if you have to use a lot of force and lastly put the grips on the whip/shaft as close to the base as possible, all the ones I've done didn't actually need much effort, they just needed "cracking" if you get what I mean.

So I got the mole grips on the plastic piece near the mounting base.The plastic piece turns freely, but in both directions ie clockwise & anti clockwise.With not signs of coming undone.

You'll need two mole grips, one to attach to the base with a rag to prevent cosmetic damage (which is bolted in, accessible if you remove the courtesy lights) so that the force of the turning movement with another set of grips on the whip doesn't crease the roof. It is of course entirely possible that the whip isn't removable on 03 Micra's, nothing documented as far as I know, who knows ?‍♂️

So just an update,the whip snapped completely off,just left a stubby piece visible at the aerial base.So i've ordered a base & shorter aerial from ebay.Thanks for you help.

So just an update,the whip snapped completely off,just left a stubby piece visible at the aerial base.So i've ordered a base & shorter aerial from ebay.Thanks for you help.

:cry: It's been in there 17 years so I am not surprised it snapped, it's no consolation to you that because of you I now know to be cautious with antennas on early K12's (y)

A quick note, that ALL plastics degrade over time due to UV light, and become brittle when handling, its no one's fault its just a fact of the compounds not weathering well, and this problem is a lot worse in the hotter climates.:(

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
A quick note, that ALL plastics degrade over time due to UV light, and become brittle when handling, its no one's fault its just a fact of the compounds not weathering well, and this problem is a lot worse in the hotter climates.:(
Well, also at -28°C plastics become brittle when handling, it's not just hot climates...:unsure:;)