Advised by mechanic to start looking for another car!

Hi all,

:( I just spent £300 on a service, MOT and the welding of 4 parts under my car (2 seatbelt anchorages, an entire sill and something else) and my mechanic told me he thinks I should start thinking about car shopping as opposed to another MOT next time :( He thinks when cars start rusting etc, it's time to move on rather than keep patching them up each year.

I was pretty gutted, I think though I could either a) keep patching it up when it needs it anyway, or b) get looking around :(

magpie

Buy & Sell Member
being a mechanic myself ..i would go with what he said.

mass produced cars such as these really arnt worth the effort of a full up chassis rebuild(unless of course its an extremely rare example of the marque)...and eventually even just patching becomes problematic

Nah...recently been treating rust on a fifteen year old (or there abouts) R5 GT-T. Some of the rot holes in the sills were so bad I could get my foot in them :) Also holes in arches, filler area, some rot under car, bumpers etc. Jacked it up, stripped the paint, slapped on the Kurust (good stuff that), cut away the worst bits, got new plates, bolted some, welded others, removed tank to carry out welding, sanded new metal, primed, painted, lacquered, refitted tank...hmm...new car it is then :) Somehow I think it can only get worse again.

jarthur05 said:
Jacked it up, stripped the paint, slapped on the Kurust (good stuff that), cut away the worst bits, got new plates, bolted some, welded others, removed tank to carry out welding, sanded new metal, primed, painted, lacquered, refitted tank...hmm...new car it is then :) Somehow I think it can only get worse again.

Hmm.....are you being sarcastic? I.e. do you think your work was worth the effort or not?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Good R5 GTTs are hard to find these days especially the rarer ones lol.

Well, firstly I didn't do all the work myself, the car belongs to a friend so I agreed to lend him a hand. Considering the fact that he has been dreaming about owning an R5GTT for years, I think that the work in his opinion was worth it, particularly as he paid a VERY good price for the car initially. Plus, he does not rely on the car day to day, so it can be off the road for as long as necessary to fix it up. The work has been done very carefully and thoroughly - it has not been rushed. I think that the results in the end will be worth it (provided the rust does not come back) - but only because he really loves his car. If you aren't that bothered about the car then I say start looking for a new one.
We also fitted full leather seats, front and rear while we were at it :)

I own a 16 year old mini, and beleive you will never get rid of rust once its started!! it will always be somewhere, while i have got rid of all the structural stuff there is still cosmetic rust. However with a k11 i would say its probably best to get another unless its a rare marque. Just use it as an excuse to buy another car! thats what i would do!!!!

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
if it was me i would look for a new car, you could prob buy a fairly decent newish micra for like 1,500 and you will have it for quite a while without any problems hopefully or you can keep patching up the other one and if the condition is that bad you will probably only get like 700ish for it..go for a new one i say!!

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Andy_S said:
depends on how bad the rust is on the car.

LMAO

It's right to assume if he didn't offer to buy car off you and said best look for a new one that he means it's gonna distigrate soon enough.

Good luck with finding a new car, have you considered a nice Micra K11, I hear they're really good cars.

lol Goldstar, yea I think I might have heard of that one!!

If my savings dont go to plan, a low milage rust free immaculate K11 will most likely be my prime target :)