Advice to a new turbo owner

SHR3K

Ex. Club Member
Well im drfinately gonna get micra jases Roxy off him just got to get the finances outta the way...

So any advice?

Seriously i dont want to go ragging iit then find out its wrecked in the first week! But yeah any advice as to maintenance and stuff, everythign will be done by garages as i dont trust me lol/

Shr3k

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Yep, good oil management is key to turbo longeivity - never blip the throttle before shutting down and if you have been out for a spirited drive, allow it to idle for a minute or twp to help the oil+coolant cool the bearings down.

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
check all fluid levels before driving.

Check water, oil, etc etc.

Allow to warm up before driving it hard.

Allow it to idle for a minute or 2 before turning the engine off.

jimmy

Ex. Club Member
just make sure you change the oil regularly and use a good quality engine oil. Other than what everyone else has said enjoy the boost

OP
OP
S

SHR3K

Ex. Club Member
So good quality oil and coolent, and let the car idle after running.

Also any advice on teh guages, anthing to watch out for any recommened levels...

Apart from that i think it will be fun, finances have apparently cleared so :D

Happy days' should collect here sunday to allow jase to have one last ride :D

Shr3k

solarice

Ex. Club Member
on the idle front, you could always install a turbo timer if you push it hard on a regular basis...then it'll do all the cooling down itself.

not sure what gauges are installed but id go by, if they start going high check the car, if the oil pressure starts going low check the car...in fact always check the car..lol. :) as said maintenance is the key to keeping it alive.

jimmy

Ex. Club Member
yeah turbo timers are a great invention, my bro has one on his starlet but its with a clifford alarm.

gauges wise if you have a wideband lamdba sensor i would get a air/fuel gauge, oil pressure is a good one to have also oil temperature so you know when its at full working temp. Oh yeah and a boost gauge is definatly a good idea coz you really need to know if your overboosting.

Dont think you can have too many gauges really lol