Advice on rear brakes please?

Hello everyone,

My '98 K11 failed it's test on various things but the rear brakes are causing me a problem,
I don't understand.
2 points on the failure sheet: Nearside rear brake binding.
Parking brake efficiency below requirements.

I have removed n/s drum and replaced the cylinder which looked like it may have been
leaking very slightly. The shoes still had some depth to them so being true to form and refusing to buy new ones 'cos I'm so tight, I have not replaced them. I have bled the brake fluid and am fairly confident there is no air in the system. I have adjusted the ratchet arm all the way to the left ( reducing the amount of thread showing ). This seems to have helped with the binding - it's not as bad as it was but the wheel is still is not turning freely like the other side. The handbrake is not having any effect on the n/side at all, the offside seems good. I adjusted the handbrake from within the car reducing the number of clicks. What should I do next? Will buying new shoes solve it? Is it possible the cable has stretched to one wheel only? Have I adjusted the ratchet arm incorrectly?
Any advice please?...I'm losing the will to be a Micra owner:mad:

frank

Club Member
the arm needs to be fully back when the handbrake is off johnny, else the leverage wont be right
maybe the cable is binding ?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Have you checked the self adjuster mechanism. Seems seized to me.
Take the drum off ask a friend to pump the brake slowly listen for a click. No click free up the adjuster (its the arm attached to both shoes with a little ratchet arm on)
If you've got a click then pull the hand brake up slowly watching for movement. No movement is new cable. Movement is new shoes and or drum.. but check the other drum too to see if it moves the same amount

Take the drum off ask a friend to pump the brake slowly listen for a click. No click free up the adjuster (its the arm attached to both shoes with a little ratchet arm on)
If you've got a click then pull the hand brake up slowly watching for movement. No movement is new cable. Movement is new shoes and or drum.. but check the other drum too to see if it moves the same amount

Thanks for that. I will try that tonight when there will be someone else here.

the arm needs to be fully back when the handbrake is off johnny, else the leverage wont be right
maybe the cable is binding ?

I've now had a chance to get underneath to take a look & I suspect it may be the handbrake cable. Is it ok to renew just one side do you know?

I've now had a chance to get underneath to take a look & I suspect it may be the handbrake cable. Is it ok to renew just one side do you know?