Advice on buying K10???

Squizza

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys,

I fell in love with a red 1.0 K11, polished and modded it then the gasket went, belly as now got her and fixing her upto standard. Look at my blog Squirrel's K11.
So now in ownership of a 1.9dci megane and hating it, I've decided to get a new cheap and cheerful car, BUT found this >>>>
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uv...dealers/243/243&id=201303498632037&distance=0
Please someone give me advice I have the bug and have the urge for another micra but what do I need to look for and what can be done to a K10???

Cheers peeps,
Luke

Awww...That's a lovely one :p
bargain too...be careful, if you want it, that it doesn't get snapped up

Exactly the same as the one I had...only with much lower miles and 2 years younger ^_^
I adored my good ol' K10...but the LS model is very basic...that does mean not a lot to go wrong of course ;)
but...
only 4 forward gears
no rear wiper
no electric...anything :p
no AC
no power steering
no ABS
no near side wing mirror LOL

many trim exterior/interior pieces (including wing mirrors) can be easily removed from other K10's and fitted to this one
Mine was totally original when i got it, as this one seems to be also, so i had no N/S wing mirror either
...I didn't like that so i went to the scrappy and got a pair of manually (from inside the car) adjustable ones, straight fit...all the holes are there, ready to be bolted to ;)

The only problems i had with mine was it idled very fast when i picked her up (my dad easily sorted that) it had over 120,000 on the clock
When put in reverse the light didn't come on, but we put a switch on the dash, i quickly got used to...didn't know, it was a fairly common switch connection fault, until i joined this forum
Oh and my petrol got nicked the first night i had her....the first night!!!! it has a plug under the car straight into the tank...so after cutting the fuel lines on my neighbours car and finding disapointing diesel they took the plug outta mine <_<...did manage to drive 5 miles on the leftover fumes though before having to call the RAC he looked at me as he put a 5 litre can in at the side of the road...silly little girl didn't put petrol in her car...oh, it's pouring all over the road...go figure? LOL
the only other thing was...well...I could never get her much past 56 mph XD ...even on a downward slope...with a run up!
but i think i got a steady 35MPG out of her...not bad for a 80's/90's classic :D

Right k10's can be modded quite easily but as you do alot of miles you will want a 5 speed box,
They do rust alot on the sills, seat mounts, wings and rear arches,
parts are easy to find from my local car part shop but not the cheapest,
Body mods are hard to come by such as the super s bosy trim and spoilers,
lowering is easy with coilovers
engine mods are a little more difficult as they run on carbs,
there quite economical f you drive like your 90,

I'm sure if you pop down mine my you could test drive ours but its a 1,2 with a 5 speed box.

Cheers guys off to look on saturday fingers crossed its still there... Jen is there any music on a LS model???
Cheers again feel all giddy again :p

Cheers guys off to look on saturday fingers crossed its still there... Jen is there any music on a LS model???

can i come with you? i now all the rust and what to look for on them as o am learning to drive in one

I think...I had a radio cassette?...possibly...I remember making tapes for it...but i can't remember listening to any... and if it worked of not >_<
it was my first car and i only had it for 5 months
...and as i got it almost 18 months after passing my test it took me a long time before i was confident that the radio wouldn't distract me from my driving, as i was out of practice ;)
I don't see why you couldn't fit a CD though, unless there's a power issue....but like i said no 'leccy windows etc... to drain the power :p

It still breaks my heart that mine got scrapped by the girl i sold it to..I wish i'd told her i'd buy it back <_<
...to be fair I'd much rather (if you buy it) you keep it as it is, but it's up to you of course, mod wise ;)
Damn....i want it now...but is way too far for me XD
There was one local to me...in green with a brown "tombstone seat" interior...but alas...I fear it has now sold!!!

The first thing though...get a N/S mirror! I did...poor cyclists wouldn't have stood a chance otherwise! LOL

How is the above post helpful? Or is it some kind of joke that I don't get?

I saw a very very clean pre-facelift on PistonHeads recently, its probably sold now tho.

Hi guys,

I fell in love with a red 1.0 K11, polished and modded it then the gasket went, belly as now got her and fixing her upto standard. Look at my blog Squirrel's K11.
So now in ownership of a 1.9dci megane and hating it, I've decided to get a new cheap and cheerful car, BUT found this >>>>
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uv...dealers/243/243&id=201303498632037&distance=0
Please someone give me advice I have the bug and have the urge for another micra but what do I need to look for and what can be done to a K10???

Cheers peeps,
Luke
Simply put, don't waste time on base models. They aren't even practical for modern driving. GS spec is the minimum if you want something useful.
Don't waste time with 1L's, they suck on a scal that i can't even put into words. 1.2 minimum (and that's only 60bhp).
What can be done? Absolutely anything you want, but like with anything else it takes money. So the question is more along the lines of what can you afford to do with it... A K10 is a labour of love and a money pit. You will never get a return on any investment you put into one, so it's one of those cars that you only put money into for yourself becase you intend to keep it. Know what i mean?
Also, they rust like there's no tomorrow, so get on the floor and examine every inch of the floor, arches, sills, wings, rear and front valences, door bottoms and under the window strips. The scuttle pannel under the windscreen is prone to rust, also the bulkhead at the wipermotor mount point. Check the inner wing area by the negative earth point next to the battery for holes.
Put your fingers on the slither of carpet at either side of the rear seat and press down, if you hear crunching or feel flexing then the floor is rotting through directly over the mounting for the rear axle link arm (swing arm).

Finally: Grab the chrome seatbelt rail that is bolted to the inner doorstep, Push & Pull it, try to wiggle it back and forth. If it moves, if you hear crunching or cracking, if it flexes more than a few millimeters...
This is most likely why...
582623_10151368747864872_1488587588_n.jpg

Buy with your head not your heart when it comes to ANY car bro, and you'll avoid the lemmons :)

"Simply put, don't waste time on base models. They aren't even practical for modern driving. GS spec is the minimum if you want something useful.
Don't waste time with 1L's, they suck on a scal that i can't even put into words. 1.2 minimum (and that's only 60bhp)."
Have to disagree I'm afraid, I have been driving a 1.0ls 4 speed as a daily driver for 2 years now and enjoy it every time I drive it. It is running on adjusted lowering springs and regularly carries my two kids who love it. It has even been put into use to carry myself and my brother, plus enough carp tackle, food etc for a 48 hour session without complaint. :D Or maybe I'm just a wee bit odd :confused:

I saw a very very clean pre-facelift on PistonHeads recently, its probably sold now tho.

yeh they got the dell boy rodney relationship :)

k10 is one of my best ive had, mind the motorways noise and wider wheels for crosswinds. i really enjoyed my stay with one and wouldnt hesitate with one again.

Have to disagree I'm afraid, I have been driving a 1.0ls 4 speed as a daily driver for 2 years now and enjoy it every time I drive it. It is running on adjusted lowering springs and regularly carries my two kids who love it. It has even been put into use to carry myself and my brother, plus enough carp tackle, food etc for a 48 hour session without complaint. :D Or maybe I'm just a wee bit odd :confused:

Yeah i loved my 1st k10 too, a basic 1L LS. But when you move on up the rang you realise what hard work they are. Simple things like a rear wash-wiper, an intermittant front wiper speed (saving u from switching on and off all the time). The lack of a 5th gear on the motorway. The lack of a rear anti-roll bar and excessive body roll. Simple things like door pockets to put things in and a speedometer with a stable reading that doesn't wobble at certain speeds. The 1L motor is passable round town, but very underpowered under load or uphill. Plus they stink rich all the time no matter how well tuned you get them.
Simple things like having door mounted speakers with the adapter plates attached so that you can fit your own speakers without having to mod anything other than the connector. Oooo and a nice chunky steering wheel too ;)
It's just about moving on bro. You can take a base model, spend money and turn it into something... or you can buy a higher spec model that's sweet just as it is. Owning 5 K10's is enough to make you realise all these little things and how they add up. I'm glad you like your k10 though dude and i hope you get plenty of years service from it :)

We know each other and it's an inside joke that nobody else will get. But regarding your question: It's helpful in the sense that he lying his ass off about having a super s body kit. ;)

yeh they got the dell boy rodney relationship :)

k10 is one of my best ive had, mind the motorways noise and wider wheels for crosswinds. i really enjoyed my stay with one and wouldnt hesitate with one again.
More like Pinky and the Brain. Me being Brain. #Narf

I don't agree with the above.

You by a K10 on body condition not spec. The spec can be easily and cheaply changed. Bad body work like the above can't. Any car can be a money pit, but the K10 the least so. If your patient check the above for rust, and find a clean one it will cost you next to NOTHING to own. They don't 'rust like there's no tomorrow' proof is given by this article "http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/features/nissan-micra-443911.html" which states in 1997 25% of all Micras made still survived.. An amazing statistic. You still see them everywhere.

1.2 are weaker than the 1.0 and feel strangled. The 1.0 are freer revving. The 1.2 does get better mpg as its less thrashable. On the road the 5hp is hardly noticeable. They have a very soft (too soft) ride and are incredibly light (I can pick the rear corner of a K10 off the floor with surprising ease).

Whilst basic the K10 Super S is the best spec, and import models more so. I've owned them all including two March ST's

BTW the MSC was formed because of a 1988 blue K10 'L' I was given when I was 16...

Definitely agree with rear wiper/intermittent wiper speed/5th gear, those things would be great. I happen to love the way my 10 smells, no cats or suchlike :D new cars just dont smell right. Steering wheel was one of the first changes I made :D. I've got to make my 10 last cos my youngest daughter wants it when she's driving and she's only just turned 11! :)

I believe that my post has been missunderstood. We can go back and forth all day coz is all comes down to our own experiences with the cars that we've owned, and every car has it's own unique character so there's no right or wrong there. Put short: I have experienced the exact opposite of what you have with regards to 1L and 1.2L. I find my 1.2's have low down grunt, and just pick up and rev their nuts off you let em. Clearly I have owned some pants 1L's whereas you have owned some pant's 1.2's.
Anywho i'm not here to argue, just give advice when asked for. I feel that my points are justified relative to my own experiences with K10's. Anyway Squizza, have fun with K10's dude, I hope you get a good one.

Last word.....yes me and my 10 have had our issues :rolleyes: but it is probably the most smile inducing car I have ever owned :D and I've been driving for 23 years! :(

I believe that my post has been missunderstood. We can go back and forth all day coz is all comes down to our own experiences with the cars that we've owned, and every car has it's own unique character so there's no right or wrong there. Put short: I have experienced the exact opposite of what you have with regards to 1L and 1.2L. I find my 1.2's have low down grunt, and just pick up and rev their nuts off you let em. Clearly I have owned some pants 1L's whereas you have owned some pant's 1.2's.
Anywho i'm not here to argue, just give advice when asked for. I feel that my points are justified relative to my own experiences with K10's. Anyway Squizza, have fun with K10's dude, I hope you get a good one.

I took manifold pressure measurements to gauge my views, rather than subjective arse in seat opinions. The 1.2 inlet is incredibly restrictive, and not a lot can be done about it short of a complete change as putting a 1.0 inlet manifold on it is just as bad.

Definitely agree in regards to lower down torque, from that respect they are much better.

As for reliability perspective, that goes on my 16 years of feedback since I first formed this place back in the early days. 1.2 are less reliable with many more headgasket failures when compared to 1.0. Sad but true.

Ed, I didn't knock your experience/oppinion, and i'm not about to do so now. But honestly, figures and numbers don't do it for me. Going by figures and numbers a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, because it's too fat and it's wings are too small lol.

Ed, I didn't knock your experience/oppinion, and i'm not about to do so now. But honestly, figures and numbers don't do it for me. Going by figures and numbers a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, because it's too fat and it's wings are too small lol.

Bumble bee analogy is wrong I'm afraid.

sophisticated aerodynamic analysis shows that the bumblebee can fly because its wings encounter dynamic stall in every oscillation cycle.[

Saying that you don't go by numbers or figures is pure insanity!!! Why on earth would you ignore pure fact? The internal combustion engine is pure mechanical physics, everything can be quantified by numbers and figures :) Why you would want to ignore this because they "don't do it for you"? :) I'm guessing mechanical development isn't something that interests you? If it was you may have found what I said interesting!

Because darling i don't life as serious as you and i don't feel compulsed to try to prove myself right all the time. Loosen up and enjoy the diversity that is the human race. Living by all that **** is like religion, you rule out everything else and don't allow your mind to play or explore. Unless i decided to fully re-engineer every component on my engine to make it mathematically perfect then there's no point in me performind an in depth study as to the physics of my humble little engine. It's a micra, not a hyper car. It's about having fun, nothing else. Anyway i can tell that your desparate to have the last word and look like "the man" but i have no interest in this childish back and forth ****. Have a nice day brother omar. x

Sorry not being on here... sorta being crying inside, really want another micra.
Its just well my £900 megane is now worth about £200 P/X and as I need a car P/X is only real way I can get a car and have sod all to put towards it, I'm desperate for another car and a micra. They are fun, spend money enjoy more, don't get the money back... but its only like going the pub, and yeah its slow but its keeeper bit of micra history.
ah well daren't look, its probs gone, I hope cos I can't afford it, my wage is all over atm :(

Because darling i don't life as serious as you and i don't feel compulsed to try to prove myself right all the time. Loosen up and enjoy the diversity that is the human race. Living by all that #### is like religion, you rule out everything else and don't allow your mind to play or explore. Unless i decided to fully re-engineer every component on my engine to make it mathematically perfect then there's no point in me performind an in depth study as to the physics of my humble little engine. It's a micra, not a hyper car. It's about having fun, nothing else. Anyway i can tell that your desparate to have the last word and look like "the man" but i have no interest in this childish back and forth ####. Have a nice day brother omar. x

I actually don't understand you at all now. You joined the MSC in sept 2009 and so you know what the deal is around here, and your post above is completely unacceptable.

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. My interests are only in that accurate information is shared between members on the MSC, as I stated before you joined in 2008. That was the purpose of why the MSC was set up in the first place.

No one has asked you to do anything. Nothing has been forced upon you. I have only called you on your reasoning's above and you have come back to me with a load of patronising words & insults.

You need to take a moment and re-read all my posts above and realise that nothing I said in any way gives you the right to respond like this.

In the old days I used to ultimately remove people who would resort to posts like yours above. The MSC isn't yours to use in this way and ensuring that people always remain reasonable and level headed is why the MSC is perhaps the friendliest and most welcoming car club on the net.

However I can see from your post history that you like the MSC community, and your project here is really rather nice.

I have no need nor wish to fall out with you (tbh life is too short and it solves nothing). So how about you step back a bit, understand my post(s) a little better - realise that they are not nor never personal, and just enjoy the MSC and everyone who contributes to it?

I think we should get back to the point in hand here and replay to the OPs comment which everyone has ignored because of this arguing going on.. Any K10 is good so long as the body work is fine. I have gone for a mint K10 Super S which Im keeping the engine standard but my friend has gone for a K10 LS with bike carbs which is just as fast as the Super S now. Just takes awhile to pick up.

I honestly think there is near to no difference between all the K10s just different spec. I could live with a K10 LS just as easy as a K10 Super S.. Being that I seem to spend more time in my mates LS than my Super S..

The missus loves her LS for around London. Four speed you can flick around, light steering and clutch and nice and steady with a bit of lowering and some firmer shocks. A bit of work on soundproofing makes things quite nice inside.

Hi guys,

Cheers peeps,
Luke

Haha mate!!! Thats the one i bought!!

Saw it on Autotrader, Got it for £450 haha, Runs sweet as a nut and starts first time, Had it about 3 weeks now and love it, No PS sucks but get used to it haha

Glad I bought it, Shame its only 4 gears though :(

Back