Advice on buying a carb

So i call upon you all yet again ,

Have a chance of buying a made up inlet manifold and a carb ,
Here is a picture of the mani and he will get a 1300cc mini carb to go with it , i think he's using the one that was on the mani, he said with this set up and a 4-2-1 exhaust mani he was running 90bhp, to me it seems possible but just said id ask for advice ?

Advice ? Would there be moderate gains from this? Im really condsidering this because its more power with little effort ,

82AD3040-F4F6-4D6D-B565-A385F3FD1A42-1627-00000235B0842E0B_zps3ef867a0.jpg

Could this poosibly be the type of mini carb that would bolt on? ( google'd it )

FF8E049B-4665-44E4-8443-C374DC44BBD8-1627-00000235B6E0A755_zps4c3721f0.jpg

Thanks for your time lads

When I had my k10 I tried to find a setup like this for ages but the autograss boys kept buying them for silly money :( Couple it to a nice free flowing mani and exhaust and you're laughing :)

yep looks like a SU carb bolt pattern, either a hif 38 or 44. Not really familiar with k10 engines but i know my minis and the hif44 is capable of well over 100bhp

OP
OP
padraicR
Price is 300 euro , ( 250GBP) including carb , and its through autograss people i found this , its been on an autograss car as you'll see in picture background, but that price was with a 1300 mini carb i think , maybe it was an su carb that was on a mini ill have to look into that again , what does the money seem like?

OP
OP
padraicR
Sorry didnt see your post before i posted l_jones , i suppose thats good thing so ! Delighted to hear that, id love to show the likes of a few 1.4 civics they're not all what they think ,

OP
OP
padraicR
oh? well over here in Ireland its trickier find and get stuff made up :/ I dont know of anywhere that would make a manifold for that price, the few places iv found and asked, they look for a lot more,

bobsp16

Site Supporter
you dont need them long torque tube setups for the road,,,just stick an 1"3/4 su (44hif) on that one in the picture and youle be well away..

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Hs4 su's are immensky tunable and can be picked up cheap, not auto choke though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
padraicR
Thanks lads but just the last two days iv bought the mani in the picture and just today iv gotten a hif 44 so in the next few weeks ill be getting it on

bobsp16

Site Supporter
thats the one,,,you will prob best setting up on the rolling road though....you will need a spacer between the carb and inlet....this is how it should look when finished
KGrHqVhUE1fUVOkFBNiOi688PQ_12.jpg

OP
OP
padraicR
Eekkk :p my funds are getting tight thats probably gonna cost a lot ! Ill get to make a spacer im going to be machining a special flange so i can adapt air intake , and my own larger k and n filter , thank god having access to workshop machinery comes in handy there :p maybe someday ill be good at this game ha ! Thanks for your advice bob ! Do you mind me asking what your second name is ? Not ellis is it?

OP
OP
padraicR
Two quick questions if you would ,

1. Would this pacer plate be deep enough at 40mm ?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368974606.689467.jpg

2. With this air intake system , if i were to carry it over the engine behind my front grille , and heat wrapped the exhaust mani and posibally the intake pipe , would this be a good idea ?
( excuse my drawing )
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368974744.967918.jpg

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Spacer seems fine to me

Your inlet idea seems ok in theory. How do you plan supporting the weight of the filter? Put the filter on the carb and have a pipe routing air to it. Oldest and simplest way

OP
OP
padraicR
Cone filter is too big to put direct on carb , plus im already making up a flange to step up the size of intake so i can use the k and n filter ,

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Go for it then :D we will all expect pictures.
See if you can get a hold of a heat shield for your filter. Will help no end being so close to the exhaust

OP
OP
padraicR
Yeah im always taking pictures of everything anyways , to be honnest i might see about making some sort of pannel to act as heat shield for filter

OP
OP
padraicR
rather than starting a new thread, can i ask would a fuel preassure regulator help performance? i know it can help injection systems , but what about an SU caarburator?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Depends if you have an electronic or mechanical pump?
A mechanical will pump what it needs to
An electronic one will pump at one pressure. Which is regulated by a standard non adjustable regulator. Adding an adjustable one lets you turn your fuel pressure up allowing more fuel into the engine.
Put at its simplest more air and more fuel is more power.
Slightly rusty on my carbs but if I remember a carb will draw what it needs. You'll need to up your jet size to take advantage of it

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
su carbs have valves that are opened and closed by the floats in the float chamber. A pressure regulator valve is only any use if you are getting carb flooding and replacing the float and valve hasn't helped. Smoothing of the flow is done by the float chamber so pulsive flow pumps are not a problem.

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Eekkk :p my funds are getting tight thats probably gonna cost a lot ! Ill get to make a spacer im going to be machining a special flange so i can adapt air intake , and my own larger k and n filter , thank god having access to workshop machinery comes in handy there :p maybe someday ill be good at this game ha ! Thanks for your advice bob ! Do you mind me asking what your second name is ? Not ellis is it?
......Yes its bob ellis here lol

OP
OP
padraicR
Oh well then i guess you'll recognise that inlet mani hahahhaahha :p its a small world :p so tell me that spacer plate whats the purpose of that ? Just wondering before i make it

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Spacer only needs to be around 20mm thick,,,,,and the standard k10 fuel pump would be fine nothing else is needed.....

OP
OP
padraicR
Grand that means less meat to be machined ! Thanks for the help bob , one more question , you said id need rolling road to get it set up properly , just say here it was expensive and a lengthy distance is there a chance i could twek it to at least run and perform normally for temporary use without doing harm? Before eventually going to rolling road ?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
as long as the carb came off a similar engine then yes. Just make sure its running more rich than lean and be aware you might need to change the oil more frequently if its running rich. is it a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch su?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
hmm thats quite a big carb for a 1.2 ... if it was smaller could have suggested needles that would get you close but i have no experience of that size carbs. Did you ever consider twin carbs?

OP
OP
padraicR
Iv all this set up bought now, but this carb is used by many of the autograss people so it has to work as far as im concerned ,

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
It will work, but the needles are essentially your fuel map, and it can be very badly out... The fuel demands of a big six cylinder engine from a saloon will be very different from that of a 4 cylinder sports car engine

OP
OP
padraicR
Iv priced a local dyno who could set it up properly and although its a cost its probably a no brainer to get it done, maximum output will only be achieved this way too ,

OP
OP
padraicR
BdL needle , right will i find one on ebay or something ? Im not highly educated on these by any means , but all this help is extremely good , :)

OP
OP
padraicR
I couldnt find much on ebay , is there more of a description that could narrow down these needles ? I was going to set up the carb in a dyno testers yard and then go in and get it set right , is there still a need to change needles ? Or would there be enough adjustment if it was set right ? Sorry for all the questions !

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
yeah getting the right needles will make a hell of a difference to fuel economy and power. Most rolling road places won't carry the needles. One cheap way is to use a very fine file and file a tiny amount away. Tip of needle is fueling at max revs, so say its running lean at top end just take a tiny bit off the side of the tip and it'l allow more fuel through at those revs. You may need lighter dashpot springs as your little engine may not generate enough air flow to fully flow the fuel aswell

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I agree with enuo
You dont want to flood the engine by overfueling. You could use that fuel regulator. But that reduces flow with the larger needle etc. Gets complicated after this to run it right

OP
OP
padraicR
As advised i will look for BDL needle , first of all how do i figure out what needle is in it ? In other words im praying theres a BDL in it :p

h701micra

Deactivated Account
First thing try and contact previous owner. If not check up on the standard spec of the carb. Andd if you still come up short you'll have to physically pull it out and look :)
Look for a number. At worst you'll have to measure it up yourself