Advice on a constant positive (+) feed and Rev counter install...

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Looking for a constant positive (+) feed for my radio so it will keep the presets when I turn the car off. On an old micra I used the feed to the rear brake lights as it was easy to do; is this ok or is there a better way?

Also I am about to install a rev gauge, I have the + and - terminals connected, there are however two other wires, i am not sure what to do with these, do the just wrap around a HT lead or do the need to be connected to the coil?

Please advise, thanks all :)

mean micra

www.mightymicra.co.uk
do a search on 'rev counter'... halfway down the page author is Obeoma...

he has k10 and is rev counter thread...

i think its...

battery, ground, coil, sidelights.... but not 100% sure

if you post wires colours and possibly pic of back... i may answr better...

O

Oboema

Yup, there should be a continous feed on the standard radio wiring block. If youwant, you can even connect both the power and the memory wires from the radio (yellow n red probably) to this feed. This will enable u to play the radio while u dont have the ignition on.

For the rev counter, connect the green wire from the counter to the red/white wire from the coil. Not to the (slightly thicker) green one. I had only 3 wires, so i suspect ur fourth wire will be back lighting for the counter.

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
OK great guys, one BIG problem, when I turn the electronic ignition on it stops working? I need some sort of resistor or something to decode the signal, any help appreciated. Also which company sells the strut brace for the Micra?

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
The RPM gauge (it is an after marker one I am trying to fit). I have it installed but in only works with the wfter market electronic ignition I have installed when it is switched off. I think I need a resistor/ supressor or something to go inbetween the connection to the ignition coil for the RPM reading? Anyone?

tacho

Which igntion system are you using and which tachometer?

It sounds like you have a system that you add to your exsiting points system to stop the points burning out? A Maplin kit perhaps? And this ignition system can be switched in and out with the engine running?

The tachometer may be designed to be used with points only and is not getting a strong enough signal from the electronic system.

A bit more detail would help.

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Hi, thanks for the reply! Yes your right, I am using a system that is added to stop the points burning out (like the maplins one), it can be turned on and off. When the electronic ignition is off the tacho (aftermarket) works. I need something to work inline with the tacho pulse feed so it works with the elec igintion on, any ideas?

If you could post a circuit diagram of the way you have the ignition, the electronic module and the rev counter wired up that may help. But what I suspect the problem is, is that the rev counter you have is not designed to work with an electronic ignition system (is it quite old?).

If it is a single wire going from the rev counter to the coil, one possible fix would be to put a capacitor in series with it. Getting the right value may take some experimentation, I'll have a think about that and get back to you.

Another solution to the problem would be to get a new rev counter. Or it might be the electronic ignition module causing the problem in which case you could swap to the complete eletronic ignition module from a later micra. Could you try you rev counter on a later electronic ignition micra perhaps? This might help narrow down the problem.

Craig

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
My Micra did not come with electronic ignition standerd. I am not sure that a capicator would work (but I don't really know). The problem I beleive is that the signal input is incorrect, the rev counter will work with the signal but it is amplified so it over reads - really I need a way to de-aplify the signal, is this possible? Would a capicator do this? What is the difference between a capacitor, and invertor and a resistor as I think that one of these must hold the key to my de-amplification problem. Trick this one! Thanks for your help so far mate!

Im getting a bit confused now. Can we start again?
What rev counter is it you are using?
And what is actually happening is it not reading at all or is it reading erratically? Or is it over reading by a set amount?

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Resistor = Induces resitance into a circuit by a specified amount to ensure safe working of sensitive components, can also be used in Series to adjust voltage and parrallel to adjust current.

Inverter = Inverts a signal :p

Capacitors = Stores a certain amount of electrical charge

If you want to "De-Amplify" the circuit you want to 'Attenuate' using a circuit made for 'Attenuation'.

It can be a little complex to accurately attenuate a signal, although Maplins may sell a kit as an audio or signal attenuator and gain, so you may be able to modify it to attenuate your signal then play with controls till it works.