Adding A Pillar Tweeters & Rear Shelf - How to Cable?

Morning all, dropped upon a replacement rear shelf with speakers in good condition (ours was decaying underneath anyway) and a pair of A pillar tweeters...very cheap and look in nice condition.

Could use any advice and ideally some pics that show how to connect them up please. I'm sure I found a thread here once but can I find it?

I can see the white connector in the NSR arch and this looks like it will mate directly to the shelf assembly itself ... looking good. But unsure if there is any connections or such like at the Hi Fi end.

Also I'm unsure what wires to pick up for the A pillar tweeters. Would be a huge help if someone knows what, where, how etc.

I found a couple of articles off the aus site and another one but they describe the problem more than solve it for me. I'll put them here anyway, may be useful for others.... mine is a 95 pre facelift base model.

http://www.micra.com.au/community/message.php?messageid=9568

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24255

This one suggests to pick connections off a connector in the side trim from the wires that go to door speakers. But at the same time he says it didn't work :) .... not sure

What year is the micra most are already wired in place
The A pillar wiring sits just above the dash and the rear is a plug just behind the o/s tail light , it's a 4 pin plug clipped to a bracket , just unclip and there you got
Where abouts are.you i got 3 sets of both rear speakers and tweeters

OP
OP
What year is the micra most are already wired in place
The A pillar wiring sits just above the dash and the rear is a plug just behind the o/s tail light , it's a 4 pin plug clipped to a bracket , just unclip and there you got
Where abouts are.you i got 3 sets of both rear speakers and tweeters

Hi there, is a 95 pre facelift totally standard.

Yes can see the rear white connector, it's there but is that just as simple as plug it in and go? Or does something need connecting at the front dash area? I read articles that suggested both options. If it's just plug in and it's all Wayne's World in the rear bench then happy days. Should that be the case?

For the A pillar I cannot see anything obvious but have not had a good root yet. When you say sits above the dash ... could you explain a little more please. Should it be two connectors that I should see? And where should I see them? Do you know the colour or cable colours?

Thanks for the offer about the speakers and tweeters. The ones I bought I have not tested yet ... don't know if they good or not but look tidy. Certainly if they don't work as well as I hope then would be happy to have an option to buy yours ... need get these connected and tested first.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Pre 95 for the tweeter ,it may not have them, only higher spec cars were fitted with them, tho if they are fitted , they are as two pin brown plug that should sit on the A pillar about 1 to 2 inches up from the hight of the dash
I know my mates 96 lx didn't have tweeter wiring but had rear
And for the rear speakers yeah plug in and play
Basically late preface lifts and all facelifts everything is basically there to plug in and play for nearly all options
What model is it? Should

OP
OP
Good to know about the parcel shelf ... will give that a crack in the morning. Promising and nice and simple.

It's a 1.0 1995 and was called Limelite. I've never seen another one with this name .... it's a zero option car bar sunroof, real base line stuff but is why it's great in a way.

Least we know what to look for at the A pillar even if it's not there. I read that the tweeters do not need a cross over so if I understand that right, it means you should be able just connect to the left and right speaker feeds. But is only what I read....have no real knowledge technically if that is right or not.

If anyone has wiring details or photos that show the speaker feeds and colours that would be a big help.

I'm told the A pillar tweeters make quite a difference and indeed the rear shelf speakers but never heard them.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Pre 95 for the tweeter ,it may not have them, only higher spec cars were fitted with them, tho if they are fitted , they are as two pin brown plug that should sit on the A pillar about 1 to 2 inches up from the hight of the dash
I know my mates 96 lx didn't have tweeter wiring but had rear
And for the rear speakers yeah plug in and play
Basically late preface lifts and all facelifts everything is basically there to plug in and play for nearly all options
What model is it? Should

Was indeed plug & play nissan boy, and they are suprisingly effective speaker. Really good. But a new problem ....(always a new problem :) ) .... the lead is too short to connect comfortably without straining the connection. I need to extend the wires. Is there a connector piece that can be purchased that is easily available or better to make one up?

The connection works with the shelf flat but when the boot lid goes up its to short for the shelf to rise up.

I guess I could cut and solder in four wires to extend the connector out but would prefer not to cut the standard wiring if there's a connector cable that can be bought.

Anyone know if that might be available?

Cheers

The connector in the car has to be unclipped from the bracket, then feed.it over the carpet near the seatbelt,
Yeah you will be amazed on the quality , I got a jv c stereo,setup on pound with bass boost and you can get some good quality, bass, and can take some stock

OP
OP
The connector in the car has to be unclipped from the bracket, then feed.it over the carpet near the seatbelt,
Yeah you will be amazed on the quality , I got a jv c stereo,setup on pound with bass boost and you can get some good quality, bass, and can take some stock

No way ... why didn't I see that? Answer .... because I didn't bleeding look!!!! :) ..... and guess where I'm off to now? Yep outside take a look at that .... absolutely brilliant if it's the case and I have no doubt you are right. Will be back to you shortly! .... nice one

OP
OP

And you sir win my MSC hero of the week award for this week!!!! Worked a treat .... cannot believe that, you look at something for so long and just miss it totally.... then you ask a question here and .... enlightenment shines down. No joke, had this a few times recent weeks, window leaks, gearbox speedo removal, and a few others and where I've been ready to set fire to it at 8.00pm on a Saturday, one of the MSC hero's crashes in like Tony Stark! :)

Owe you one. And you right they sound amazingly good ... these are just 2nd hand factory supply ones and are really surprisingly good. And now thanks to you I can open the boot whilst listening to it.

We have a maybe 4-5 year old Sony CDX GT240, was fitted by a garage whilst it was off on loan to another family connection who needed the loan of some simple wheels to pass her test. She had it fitted and then almost instantly moved on to another fancier moter when she passed her test but we never really looked at it or tried it till two or three weeks back. It is a 4x45w unit and has a basic USB AUX connection but seems quite good.

Now to start hunting around under the dash for the tweeter connections you mentioned. Many thanks for that steer Nissan Boy.

OP
OP
Having had a great result with the parcel shelf and speaker I'm still struggling find the A pillar wiring for the tweeters. Having spend an age looking at pictures I think the Green and Green/black wires in the tweeter assembly that terminate to a brown two pin plug, then connect to red and brown wire.

Also read that there is a cross over somewhere under the dash. Does this sound right?

Would be great find out how to wire these into the loom or even back to the Xplod Sony unit should that be needed.

Any knowledge would be great as always .

just looked at my scrapped and it just looks they are wired into the front speakers,
they use the same brown plug as the speakers aswell, and run down the A pillar in the loom,
so if you could feed some wires down the A pillar into the footwell, you could get the door plugs and connect to the speaker wiring,
would say a quick pop to a scrapyard and pop the A pillars off and chop the plugs and get some wire

OP
OP
just looked at my scrapped and it just looks they are wired into the front speakers,
they use the same brown plug as the speakers aswell, and run down the A pillar in the loom,
so if you could feed some wires down the A pillar into the footwell, you could get the door plugs and connect to the speaker wiring,
would say a quick pop to a scrapyard and pop the A pillars off and chop the plugs and get some wire

And you know what Nissan Boy, I been reading since posting and I found that the cross over is built into the tweeter assembly loom, not under the dash .... it's just a small component shrink wrapped into the green wires. And so if I understand right it means I can do exactly as you say .... just wire them to the existing speaker in the doors.

Yes definitely as you say, a couple of connectors and run of wire will have this cracked. Excellent advise ... got the confidence to have a crack at that now. Thanks again for the advice .... if these have the same impact at the rear shelf speaker then will be very happy. Cheers

OP
OP

Nissan Boy, just to let you know, your wiring suggestion worked spot on. I could get the right connectors so used mini crimps to the brown connector and then removed the wiring connection between door and car and feed speaker cable down the weather proof shields and seals, worked a treat. Unfortunately looks like a need to solder the door end wires to the back of the speaker terminals but no huge deal, they not likely to come out for a good while until upgraded sometime. And for anyone doing this going forward I found that the crossover is built into the tweeter wiring assembly.

Great advice and one side done and working! Many thanks for your help.