Abysmal Fuel Economy!

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Do you lot reckon the mixture on my K10 needs looking at? (Or if not that something else)

At the moment, i am struggling to get more than 60-70 miles to a tenner, and thats petrol at 95pence where i live!
I've never had great fuel economy with this car, but i didn't expect a 4-2-1 and decat to make as much difference as it has... the exhaust stinks, to the point that my friend can smell it driving behind the car!
Is this just normal?

my standard k10 eats fuel to i reallly struggle to get more than 80 miles out of a tenner at 95p

That equates to about 34.5 MPG if my Maths serves me correctly. Is that town driving or motorway?

60 Miles to £10 is an awful 26 MPG. I know Ed gets better than that in his ST!

My 2.0l Primera GT is getting me an average of 40 MPG. High 40's on long motorway Journeys.

Go Green, Go Bigger, Go Faster!!!

Am i right in thinking carbs are much less versatile i.e. you get much better eco. from fuel injection when cruising on motorway?

I think fuel injection is more economical all round whether it be motorway or town driving. It does also depend on how the cars set up and running too, but all importantly on the weight of the drivers right foot. haha.

£10 is about 2.3 gallons @95p. 60mpg+ is achievable on the motorway. What sort of driving gets you 26mpg?

i could get 35 with the bike carbs 4-2-1 straight through exhaust and a little tinkering, but now im back to standard (not for long mind) i get between 45 and 50 driving to and from work 25 mile round trip down main a and b roads

mines a bit iffy at teh moment.. but ive been driving it crazy but have done before so fuels cheaper and its doing like meh but i think my car still needs setting up from the EGR removal conversion.. and so on..

altho without sounding old fasioned... my dad says the weather has allot to do with how a car runs and fuel and so on

should be getting on a 1.2 39.8 miles 4.5litre and like 79.6 on 9 litre

:)

My K10 did 1/4 a tank in 38 miles. Replaced the carb and it was much much better

My K10 did 1/4 a tank in 38 miles. Replaced the carb and it was much much better

Mine does pretty much the same...proly more like 42 miles.

I've been putting off the weber for ages now, but with the way petrol prices are going, I might have to whack it on soon! :D

I have to say regardless to what many think K10s are not good on fuel over all. Usually they are driven quite hard everywhere, as they have little power, improvements could be made for sure.

I have to say regardless to what many think K10s are not good on fuel over all. Usually they are driven quite hard everywhere, as they have little power, improvements could be made for sure.

Like A Supercharger, Turbocharger and NOS?

If I remember correctly didn't you mange to get 40 MPG out of the ST once upon a time?

Can we get back to subject lol, does anyone know what could be causing said awful comsuption other than a 4-2-1 + exhaust etc?

I probably get an extra 10mpg if i'm careful, without a doubt i put my right hoof down more with that lovely noise it makes, and there are roads where i very rarely drop below 4000rpm, usually downshifting to around 5800 ish. But the point remains, even when im supercareful the econmy still sucks lol!

No, there isn't anywhere to put it, it'd need a much longer leed to get to where all the pipes merge.

I appreciate this doen't help, but i still would expect to get simillar economy to a non-ecc engine.
Does anyone know if Fordy fiddled with the timing at all?

ceirwan,

when you disconnect the o2 sensor on the ecc k10's it makes them run rich constantly!

if you have the exhaust that was on it before,

then there is a place for the o2 sensor to go :) its the welded on o2 sensor boss near the gearbox mount bracket :)

take out the 22mm short bung bolt and put the o2 sensor in it, when i sold the exhaust.. all the bits.. exhaust bung and o2 sensor extension wire i made up was all together

so get a o2 sensor in and connected up and you will be laughing mate

oh and yes the ignition timing has been advanced mate

have you checked the tappets lately? changed the fuel filter? i used to find the k10 fuel filters get blocked up pretty quickly and used to have a fair few new nissan ones laying about

check the air filter isnt blocked either, they suck up alot of crap of the roads and get covered easily

I cleaned the airfilter recently, it is the old exhaust so i will try and bang that in! Its running so rich you can hear the exhaust coughing away when idling! :)

I'm gonna have a huge blast on the car soon, my problem is, i'm currently restoring a yacht as a big project and never seem to have any spare time! :)
But as ive got some hubs, carriers, discs and callipers from a k11 coming, i'll just have a real big blast on the car!

So in short:
- 02 Sensor
- Fuel Filter
- Tappets
Should see a big improvement mehopes!

Incidentally, why did you advance the ignition? Was it for a power gain, did you find it made a lot of difference?

Cheers
Rich

yeah advanced it a little to make it a bit more nippy needs setting up on a rolling road to be 100% Ed is your man on this one :)

when your doing the tappets, check the tighteness of the rocker arm bolts that hold it down before you do the tappets cause if they are loose the tappets will be out a far wack, most of it is just common maintance on these engines tho mate a good night searching on here will get you a load of things to check when you work on it next

er sorry to butt in.. but i think my tappets need sorting out thir a lil noisy dependso n the heat.. anyways ive got the super s with cat.. were the O2 sensor in mine?? i havent got my manual on me..

and im getting a 4-2-1 at some point and want it to be good

cheers

Its really obvious with the cat exhaust, where all the branches of the manifold join into one, there should be a wire sticking out from the front of it, going to the alternator area.

Theres deffo a power increase with exhaust and 4-2-1, im hoping to see more when the mixture gets leaned out a bit... maybe?

get yourselves on gas ;) , i checked mine out this week (with the different cam).
ran it dry, then filled it up (£9.31) and refilled today (was pretty low) after 177 miles of very mixed driving :cool:

Its really obvious with the cat exhaust, where all the branches of the manifold join into one, there should be a wire sticking out from the front of it, going to the alternator area.

Theres deffo a power increase with exhaust and 4-2-1, im hoping to see more when the mixture gets leaned out a bit... maybe?

ah oki yea i thorght it was that sorry to sound liek a n00b.. er but now were would that go on a 4-2-1...

cheers

Well as fordy said, on the 4-2-1 i've got, there is a blank screwed in, where all the pipes merge into one, i can put my sensor there, i just need a longer wire! :)

Well it depends, it runs fine without it, not sure if it would pass MOT emissions... However if 26mpg when thrashing it is acceptable than by all means! :)

Back