About 2/3mm later of rust broke off the entire outer brake drum do I need to replace?

I’m going to be replacing the brake shoes and one of the wheel hubs/bearings.
However the entire outer edge is really rusted.
I have broken off the loose rust which is a few mm.
Does this matter really?
I don’t really have the funds to replace the brake drums u less maybe if I could get them for like £30?

I’m going to take it off tomorrow I’ll get some pictures

on the outside? Be more of a concern if it was on the inside, the outsides of the brake drum are usually painted but the combination of stones hitting it and getting hot from friction probably just wears the paint off after a while and lets the rust at it.

You could repaint it with hammerite rust-converter and respray it or ideally you would replace it, but do you have to? eh it'll be fine. As long as it still stops. The majority of the braking is done at the front anyway since the car's weight is thrown forwards under braking, I wouldn't be too worried about safety between now and your next MOT

Last edited:
L
on the outside? Be more of a concern if it was on the inside, the outsides of the brake drum are usually painted but the combination of stones hitting it and getting hot from friction probably just wears the paint off after a while and lets the rust at it.

You could repaint it with hammerite rust-converter and respray it or ideally you would replace it, but do you have to? eh it'll be fine. As long as it still stops. The majority of the braking is done at the front anyway since the car's weight is thrown forwards under braking, I wouldn't be too worried about safety between now and your next MOT

Thanks for the reply man. It seemed a lot more messed up until I took it off, chipped most of the loose rust off and brushed it.
I think I’ll keep them now, like you said I’ll put some rust converter on it next week

Attachments

• 328D98B3-2477-4B00-A74A-D0DBA333431D.jpeg
    328D98B3-2477-4B00-A74A-D0DBA333431D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 143
  • 016C6B6B-8B1F-4781-8DE1-85A801D4FE64.jpeg
    016C6B6B-8B1F-4781-8DE1-85A801D4FE64.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 163
I had to get a proper breaker bar today, I haven’t got an expensive socket for it though although it is a 6 pointed one.
Hopefully it won’t shatter

L

Thanks for the reply man. It seemed a lot more messed up until I took it off, chipped most of the loose rust off and brushed it.
I think I’ll keep them now, like you said I’ll put some rust converter on it next week

I did find this before too

Hopefully I'm not in trouble for starting beef with the audi A2 owners club by stealing their guides for on here

I did find this before too

Hopefully I'm not in trouble for starting beef with the audi A2 owners club by stealing their guides for on here

Hah that’s a pretty nice job like! I think a bit too much effort for this micra though I plan on keeping it for 2 years for commuting.
Im sure they will get over it when they look at their bank balances lol

Back