abit of computer help please

at the moment im using my sisters laptop as my computer is absolulty pants tbh

ive had it reformatted twice now and only installed

my modem
norton antivirus and firewall
msn messenger

and downloaded a few songs

but it runs pants, i have next to no idea what makes a computer speed work but whatever it is mustnt be working well at all

if im listening to songs and try talking to someone on msn it will slow down, the song will stop and the convo window will take lightyears to show

basicly my computer is slow

anyone know what i can upgrade to make it work alot faster?

i know this seem's like a bit of a rash try getting slax on there insted of windows!!!
ok slax is a version of linux witch is a operating system like windows but much faster!! it has all the things like msn (or msn type instant messenger)on there and there are free antivirusess for it but there is know viruses any way!!!
ok if you what to try this get a usb stick and i will send you a live cd (it is free any way) this will be a cd that you put in your compurter befor you turn is no and it will boot in to slax!! you can have a play with it and you will learn how to use it very very quickly!!
and you will be able to make programs that you use in windows work in slax!!!

if this is a bit rash then what will be slow is the processor but you may need a new motherboard to take a better processor and might need bigger power soure to sort that out and then bigger cooling system and so on throw out the computer!!

so your best bet is to get useing linux or get a dell (have to say i dont have one but dell look very very good at the mo!!!

if you whant a bit of a quick fix then i would try defragmenting the hard drive ad get it to cheack for damage or corruption's

i have been useing slax for about 2 weeks and i love it and i will be converting my hard drive soon so i knowlonger have windows!!

o and i dident say you need the usb skick to save your settings because the live cd will not save to you hard drive so save what you have done on there!! this will be easy!! if you not sure just go and have a look at the slax site i whnt on there as a compleat noob and sed so and they were all very helpful!!( i was so noob i dident know were to type thigs when they had comands but they are all very nice!!! and the guys how made slax are ont he fourms so if you dont like some thing they will change it (you can do it your self becouse it is open sourse but i am know were nere getting this done)

Dusk said:
Norton is pants - slowed my system down... but other people swear by it...
i also agree nortons pants, and is the only thing you listed that wil slow down your computer completely. What spec is the computer tho?

Again, I agree that norton should be avoided. I hear and see so many pcs that have norton yet have still be infected or it runs slow.

Best AV to use is Eset NOD32, you can have a free 30 day demo and then it's only about £25 a year there after

we have norton and our computer is pants too I'v just told my mam this may be why as she thinks its us saving pictures and she said and I quote " I dont know why as we paid 40 quid for it" what a fool as soon as this runs out we will def be switching

Couldn't be bothered reading the other replys cause im ill and head hurts.

When you format a PC, you MUST install the motherboard drivers, they are the most important drivers. They should have came with the pc if you bought it as a package or with the motherboard if you bought it separate.

Norton does slow your PC down, depends how much RAM (Memory) you have. I use Norton Personal Firewall but it does eat resources.

TBH, it sounds like you havent got any chipset drivers installed. You got any idea if its a VIA board? If so you need the VIA 4-in-1's. If not you need the correct drivers for your board.

There's not much that people can suggest without knowing your spec.

Click start goto Run
type DXDIAG
Click on Save all information
Save it, then copy and paste the contents of the text file here

do what Alienfish said and also

How much memory do you have?

defragged it ? when you do a re-install you should allways defrag after.

Is it Windows XP ?

Have you got it using NTFS or FAT32 ?

What devices do you have installed on the PCI slots ?

Try swapping memory over from one bank to another,does it use DDR RAM or SDRAM?

If your RAM has parity checking it could be that the Parity 'bit' is currupt
Leading from this the RAM could be goosed

does it cut out at all i.e when it freezes does it switch off? if so does the cpu feel rarther too hot ?

Check if you are having any IRQ errors with the hardware.

When im doing computer diagnostics for customers i allways disconnect everything and only have the bare essentials in i.e mobo + HDD + cpu and fan + memory (no pci devices or optical drives)

Are you on Telewest.....lol

id say laptops are generally quite slow anyway. the same spec desktop will outrun a laptop anyday.

just defrag it, delete unused windows components, get more memory, if it is XP, go to properties in My computer and set computer to run on performance instead of looks or just sell it and get a desktop! grr

tse_adam said:
id say laptops are generally quite slow anyway. the same spec desktop will outrun a laptop anyday.

mainly because they generally have to make the FSB on the processor (Front Side Bus) slower because of heat, i have a P4 2.4 GHz laptop and compaired to my servers and media pc's its rapid, its all down to how you use the computer too

the laptop im using is brand new, well a couple of months and is great runs mega quick with norton as well, its my desktop thats the problem!!

when the pc guy reformatted my desktop he installed everything that should be installed.

all i use my computer for is internet basicly

just did the alien fish things and i have 112mb ram(whatever that does)

and my processer is a 1.3ghz something or other, cant really do a copy and paste of the thing because the computer will probably spit its dummy out and not using internet on it at the moment

Try d'loading Spybot S&D, that will tell you if you have any spyware running.
I assume you have done a full virus scan and updated all your drivers.

yeah virus scanned and i have firewalls too, also i have a similiar program to spybot on there as well.

the computer has always been slow since i got it, just recently its become worst

paddymarsden said:
do what Alienfish said and also

How much memory do you have?

defragged it ? when you do a re-install you should allways defrag after.

Is it Windows XP ?

Have you got it using NTFS or FAT32 ?

What devices do you have installed on the PCI slots ?

Try swapping memory over from one bank to another,does it use DDR RAM or SDRAM?

If your RAM has parity checking it could be that the Parity 'bit' is currupt
Leading from this the RAM could be goosed

does it cut out at all i.e when it freezes does it switch off? if so does the cpu feel rarther too hot ?

Check if you are having any IRQ errors with the hardware.

When im doing computer diagnostics for customers i allways disconnect everything and only have the bare essentials in i.e mobo + HDD + cpu and fan + memory (no pci devices or optical drives)

Are you on Telewest.....lol

if you can find out all this then i can help but it sounds like the memory is dead

Back