A question of MPG.

Within the next two-three weeks I will have my first Micra. Have been looking at 1.0L for cheap everything but my daily commute will involve a few miles of motorway driving so I'm thinking a 1.3L would be better suited (not working as hard?) but is this the case in the real world.

Insurance will no doubt increase for the bigger engine and will those costs be worth it against MPG? Just how good are the 1.0L on motorways (are they happy at 60-70mph)?

Thanks in advance.

I imagine a 1.3 will be better suited and give more mpg than a 1.0 mainly because it is higher geared. However a 1.0 will cope just fine on the motorway too, the engine will just be revving a bit higher. I'd get 50+ mpg at the speeds you mention from my 1.3 on the motorway.

I still assume that the MPG from a 1.0L will not be that bad though?

Not had a car before with a small engine so I'm thinking terrible things :( all of which are rubbish, but need to be sure :). Thanks.

camoxodka

car half done :)
well when i use to fill up the standard micra i use to get around 95 miles to 10 pound, however when i install a 4-2-1, decat and sportex exhaust and fiddled with the idle it has me around 50 mile to 10 :( so if you want something to run for a lot of mile for cheap then i advice you not to mod the car ;D

well when i use to fill up the standard micra i use to get around 95 miles to 10 pound, however when i install a 4-2-1, decat and sportex exhaust and fiddled with the idle it has me around 50 mile to 10 :( so if you want something to run for a lot of mile for cheap then i advice you not to mod the car ;D

It can't be though. performance micras will gain more mpg than standard micras. If you drive nicely with light pedal.

skymera

Brutal Honesty
camoxodka said:

I've the same mods and my MPG isn't affected.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

In some sense a small engine is a false economy for anything but low speed town driving. High speeds = higher rpm, more stress on engine, more wear and tear, higher initial purchase costs (due to perceived lower running costs). Ironically sometimes larger engined cars can be cheaper to insure than smaller engined cars because they are purchased by younger/inner city drivers who will be involved in more scrapes than larger engined counter parts. It's worth getting quotes first before making the final decision. Not to mention what's better suited to your needs anyway :)

Martyc said:
In some sense a small engine is a false economy for anything but low speed town driving. High speeds = higher rpm, more stress on engine, more wear and tear, higher initial purchase costs (due to perceived lower running costs). Ironically sometimes larger engined cars can be cheaper to insure than smaller engined cars because they are purchased by younger/inner city drivers who will be involved in more scrapes than larger engined counter parts. It's worth getting quotes first before making the final decision. Not to mention what's better suited to your needs anyway :)

It's your opinion :D

It was always going to be a difficult question with so many factors that need to be taken into account. However, once again, I thank you for your replies.

I've had over 40 cars from tuned celicas to a standard 1.0 mini and been driving over 12 years... The biggest factor on fuel consumption is how heavy your foot is :) Providing its running properly obviously!

Some haven't even lasted one! Longest I've had was a ford puma (just sold it!) which I owned for 23 months. Used to buy cars I felt sorry for.... Expensive habit :/

Eh, the reason cars like this aren't mass produced already is because of the oil companies :rolleyes:

surely you don't really believe that o_O While people keep buying cars like this Audi. they'll keep making them, these make me cringe every time I see one, why oh why does a car have to be so bloody big :confused:

Audi-Q7-3-0T-S-Line-2012-widescreen-02.jpg

skymera

Brutal Honesty
surely you don't really believe that o_O While people keep buying cars like this Audi. they'll keep making them, these make me cringe every time I see one, why oh why does a car have to be so bloody big :confused:
I do in a way. I don't believe it's the sole reason as there HAS to be an alternative one day. But whilst it's not urgent I'm sure oil companies have a say.

frank

Club Member
"when" there is a viable alternative, you can bet the oil companies will be the first to invest their billions into it (and make another killing)
but while joe public continue to buy big cars (and complain about petrol prices :rolleyes: ) car makers will be happy to supply that demand

Have been reading your fuel figures and your doing something wrong !!!! I have a 1.3 and return 35 mpg around town - wait for it...on the motorway my last fuel check returned 58 mpg. Never less than 53/55.
I would respectfully suggest...go easy on your right foot boys and girls.
NB....I am an old geezer though. I drove jaguars for 35 years and I absolutely love these little things. Happy motoring.:)

Never gonna get that on the motorway in a 1l (what i think most ppl here run) unless you run at about 55mph the whole way (ive done similar mileage but got there so late it was laughable) as the 1l gearbox hasnt got a good ratio for motorways, 70mph is silly revs!

However round town the 1l is better...

Thanks for your reply. My missus has a k11 1.3 cvt....she gets 43 mpg !!!
She used to have the 1 litre cvt and that was upto 48 mpg. She is however a real steady driver. I can only repeat....its all to do with your right foot.
Both are also serviced....oil and filter every 5,000 miles, then serviced to spec annually.

Yeah true on the right foot, my micra actually does better mpg with a rally exhaust and intake despite my right foot loving the noise under power! Still when I drive softer It's loads better, gonna get a 1.3 gearbox sometime as I do a lot of motorway journeys so it should do much better then.