A (probably stupid) question about mods and insurance

I've been looking around K11 Micra blogs for inspiration and I like a lot of what I see, but I have a question mainly focused on anyone who modded their car at a young age... How do mods affect your premiums when you're 17/18? I see in the blogs, these young drivers putting sound systems in their cars, etc, and I wanna do that myself when I get my own Micra in a few months, but insurance for young drivers is expensive enough already, will it cost a fortune in insurance to mod my car?

Also, do you have to declare you have a modded car once, or do you have to declare each mod separately? How does it work?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob question :D

for admiral, they automaticalloy cover your audio up to (so they say) £1250. I put a new air filter on and got charged £24. Im 18 btw. As Eliot said, manufolds, exausts, body kits ect will be alot more!

Just gonna echo what Legendryan said,most insurance companies will allow you to have X amount of audio and will cover you for it. ANYTHING else you should notify your insurance company on each individual modification.

I'm not too sure what premiums are like now-a-days,but when i first passed my test it was fairly pricey but then again i didnt do a great deal as apposed to my current Micra.

Hope this helps

Admiral seem popular for young drivers, I take it they do the best quotes? I did an online quote on their site the other day and got £3,500 for third party only on a 1.0l K11 with my dad on as a second driver, but obviously you gotta ring them up to get proper quotes.

If I don't do any performance mods, but I put alloys on, lower it, install a sound system, etc, it shouldn't affect my premiums too badly, right?

I think a good rule of thumb is to remember that most insurance companies are greedy discriminating wallet rapers. If they can charge you more they will. If they can get out of giving you money back for anything they will. Call them up for a quote before you do anything (inc. sound system, check how much you're covered) and unless you're the kind of person to take life advice from a magic 8 ball, declare it when you do. :grinning:

Its all good and well saying that,but it only takes one idiot to hit you up the arse,you make a claim and they realise your car isnt 'standard' like you told them. Your insurance is then classed as void,you wont get paid out and you're left with nothing.

Sorry if this comes across as abit blunt,but thats how it is,been there and got the t-shirt

Make sure to put 2 named drivers with atleast 15 year driving down (I put my mum and dad) - I found that to be the best thing ever. When I put down 3 it went up again o_O

Make sure to put 2 named drivers with atleast 15 year driving down (I put my mum and dad) - I found that to be the best thing ever. When I put down 3 it went up again o_O

Both my parents have had licenses for ages so that shouldn't be a problem. Dad has made a claim recently though... He wrote off our Audi. Might not help too much ;)

look at my car, if i crash im in trouble u know why. because im insured as a 1.0 micra equation. just look at my car first lol

btw am just turned 20

well i have only declared my engine swap atm and wasnt too bad cant remember off my head no paper work yet....

but i havent done my wheels etc yet as im going to insure them once refurb

well i have only declared my engine swap atm and wasnt too bad cant remember off my head no paper work yet....

but i havent done my wheels etc yet as im going to insure them once refurb

Is there any point in declaring wheels anyway? If they have to look at the car you can always swap them back to the stock ones. Though, from what I see here, insurers don't tend to up the premium by much for wheels, so you might as well just in case.

Insurers see anything that's not standard as a mod, and therefore voids your policy. I've heard about people's insurers not paying out because the person had not declared an aftermarket alarm that wasn't standard! (I don't know how much truth is in that mind). Insurers can twist anything in their favour, for example, you might think that fitting uprated brakes makes you safer because you can stop quicker in an accident and therefore should lower your premium, but insurers will see it as something you've done so you can drive quicker and stop faster. I declared the lowering on my old car and it put my premium up by about £70 which i was happy to pay, with the new car i'm going to ring them up once my coilovers are on and i can drive it again. Just make sure that whoever you're with insures mods at your age because i was stuck with direct line who only insure mods for people over 25 for a year and it was so frustrating! Now i'm with admiral and they've been pretty good so far (Y)

With putting parents on your insurance. If i put my dad on and i were to have a crash, would it affect his insurance which is with another provider? Because he doesn't want to be put on my insurance unless it would put his up in the event of an accident.

With putting parents on your insurance. If i put my dad on and i were to have a crash, would it affect his insurance which is with another provider? Because he doesn't want to be put on my insurance unless it would put his up in the event of an accident.

I wouldn't think so since it'd be you making the claim, not him, but I'm not certain... I'd like to know myself, actually.

Just found out it wouldn't as you rightly said Maybach it would be myself making the claim as i'm the policy holder, it would have no affect on his no claims and no need to declare any accident to his insurers. Well that's just saved me £260 :p

Insurance is pretty simple, you either declare EVERYTHING! And pay a stupid amount of money but knowing if anything happenes your safe. Or declare nothing and don't drive like an idiot, if someone crashes in to you then it's there insurance who will be paying out and they don't see if it's insured for mods ect, all they see is the price you have put down that you think it's worth! Obviously this is not a good thing to do and I don't recommend it but when your young and skint like I was sometimes you have to take chances. :doh:

Declare what? F--K that, all cars now have alloys, so theres a chance to change it without any more insurance charges, now i play stupid, as my nissan K11 is a 1995 model and i pay 250 quid fully comp. so my game is i play stupid, any mods i do to my car i say i bought the car like that and a good reason is that the person that sold it has emigrated so theres no strings!! just play stupid and naieve to your insurance company they cant do S--T at all thats a loop hole its like your word against theirs if you see what i mean, if you play the good one and pay all the charges for the mods you have done then some D--K head hits your car or even stolen your car, YOU wont get back half of what you paid in the mods youve paid your insurance LET ALONE the price of the car, so who has lost out?? OUT!!!

Hope this helps

J

Declare what? F--K that, all cars now have alloys, so theres a chance to change it without any more insurance charges, now i play stupid, as my nissan K11 is a 1995 model and i pay 250 quid fully comp. so my game is i play stupid, any mods i do to my car i say i bought the car like that and a good reason is that the person that sold it has emigrated so theres no strings!! just play stupid and naieve to your insurance company they cant do S--T at all thats a loop hole its like your word against theirs if you see what i mean, if you play the good one and pay all the charges for the mods you have done then some D--K head hits your car or even stolen your car, YOU wont get back half of what you paid in the mods youve paid your insurance LET ALONE the price of the car, so who has lost out?? OUT!!!

Hope this helps

J

The MSC does not condone or tolerate deliberately lying or withholding information from your insurance company. If you have a accident your insurance company is completely within it's right to withhold payment, although this is not a criminal offence you are breaking the law. Why not recommend that he drives without a MOT and road tax or completely go for it and ram raid a off licence.

Why not recommend that he drives without a MOT and road tax

i did this thursday....... taking the car for it's mot

@halloween..... remind me to never put my car next to your's it's people like you that cause insurance premiums to be as expensive as they are

i did this thursday....... taking the car for it's mot

Yes, but this is legal if the MOT is pre-arranged. Although driving without the road tax isn't legal, you would be let off if it was going to a pre-booked MOT.

needed an mot before i could tax it so if i was pulled i think i would of been let off, that and it was only down the road

The MSC does not condone or tolerate deliberately lying or withholding information from your insurance company. If you have a accident your insurance company is completely within it's right to withhold payment, although this is not a criminal offence you are breaking the law. Why not recommend that he drives without a MOT and road tax or completely go for it and ram raid a off licence.

and under any circumstance dont attempt the last suggestion!!:grinning:

mate its your choice what you do but im sure insurers are beginning to look up forums to catch people out. i dont think it counts as a no insurance job and you get 6 points or anything but your insurance could be cancelled and that has to be declared when re-insuring your car. ive declared mods before as in an extra 75hp and it wasnt that bad with me having 9 points lol how insurance companies can charge you for improving your car is stupid i wish they had a box you can tick where you agree the loss of mods even if someone crashed into you or they are stolen. so there arses are covered and thats a risk we take.

Back