A new proud owner of a k11 Micra!

My birthday is in a few days, and my present was an 18 year old Micra! 127000 miles with no MOT, but the issues are very simple, an exhaust leak and sway bar link. I have always been a fan of Japanese cars and it's a great way to get an introduction. What are the first things I could do to make it both great looking, and get familiar mechanical systems?
Thank you very much and I'll look forward to a great car to work on!
6c11ee6504e080b0b8a3337f3bde98e1.jpg
f1fbabffac28835cdd6d505859c9d923.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm going to keep suggesting this every time this question is asked until someone does it - re-wrap the oem seats in hot pink.

Alternatively alloys are always a sound investment as steels look crap on any car.

How familiar are you wanting to get? Best thing to do is pick up a Haynes manual and since its your first car I'd say replace all the filters, change the oil and brake pads and replace the spark plugs. They're cheap and easy things to do yourself.

Grab yourself some half decent metric tools and you can do most things on these little cars.

I'm going to keep suggesting this every time this question is asked until someone does it - re-wrap the oem seats in hot pink.

Alternatively alloys are always a sound investment as steels look crap on any car.

How familiar are you wanting to get? Best thing to do is pick up a Haynes manual and since its your first car I'd say replace all the filters, change the oil and brake pads and replace the spark plugs. They're cheap and easy things to do yourself.

Grab yourself some half decent metric tools and you can do most things on these little cars.
Thank you very much! I would love to, but I could not bear making it so bright!
I want to start simple, and changing of fluids filters and so on is a great idea. I found out the source of my whine too, which it was the power steering belt, so that's one thing to do! Do you know any options for sporty looking rims? I would like a bit of poke, even if it requires a fender roll

Last edited:
I'm 90% sure almera alloys fit a k11 but I just grabbed a set of micra alloys that were going cheap. Have a search though, I'm sure there's load of stuff about wheels on here, I've seen some with those white rally wheels for example.

I'm 90% sure almera alloys fit a k11 but I just grabbed a set of micra alloys that were going cheap. Have a search though, I'm sure there's load of stuff about wheels on here, I've seen some with those white rally wheels for example.
n15 almera fits
n16 post 2000 dont , k12, note, clio, fit nice
also hi! and nice one i just sold a 1998 twister with 142,5k only thing i would say is rust, sort that and should get to 200k with general care and maintenance
wheel wise , k12, note and clio are a direct fit so be worth a look at them , or aftermarket, just a 4x100 with a center bore of 59.1 or bigger
ive got 3 spoke alloys off a 6gen civic with 186,60,14s , they fill the arches nice , better handling and such

n15 almera fits
n16 post 2000 dont , k12, note, clio, fit nice
also hi! and nice one i just sold a 1998 twister with 142,5k only thing i would say is rust, sort that and should get to 200k with general care and maintenance
wheel wise , k12, note and clio are a direct fit so be worth a look at them , or aftermarket, just a 4x100 with a center bore of 59.1 or bigger
ive got 3 spoke alloys off a 6gen civic with 186,60,14s , they fill the arches nice , better handling and such
Thank you very much! I will be sure to take a look at what you have suggested. My list of things to get and do is growing, tools, reparing parts, wheels and handling! As a first project it is looking to be a good one :)

It's looking great already, how about a good shampoo and maybe some Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection? Then add petrol. Oh, and a halfway decent sound system! Enjoy.
I'm on the case of a good clean and wax! As soon as my equipment arrives next week I'm taking it up on jacks, cleaning the alloys of the numerous layers of brake dust caked on them and respraying them black! You are right about a sound system, a good amp and speaker setup would do it wonders! Thank you very much

Thank you very much! I will be sure to take a look at what you have suggested. My list of things to get and do is growing, tools, reparing parts, wheels and handling! As a first project it is looking to be a good one :)

Quote; “an 18 year old Micra! 127000 miles with no MOT”?

Rather than the distractions of aesthetics modifying, that will increase motor insurance costs, you may find that it is more proactively productive to focus on fundamentals of insurance quotes & MOT failure list repair costs on a vehicle that is old enough to vote in order to get on the road asap?

Reference W201MRA MOT failure list @:
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

For happy days out & about
In the summertime
When the weather is fine
When the sun is out. (y)