A few pictures of the bodywork progress!

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
Just a few pictures of the bodywork to house the drag radials and give the intercooler better air flow.

Image010.jpg

Image009.jpg

Image008.jpg

Image006.jpg

Cheers

Dave

wow, cant say im 100% convinced but each to their own. you had a problem to fix with the wheels and what ever it was going to be, was always gonna be drastic with the huge size of those drag wheels.

As i said im not 100% sold, not the way i would have done it but top work even still.

great stuff, keep us updated.

Put indicators on the top of those arches and it'll look like a VW beetle, but strewth it's W-I-D-E. Good work, it'll be good to see it completed.

Just make sure you put a wheelie bar on the back to keep the front end down and get you well into the 10's matey ;)

how about extending the bumper across to the meet the arches and smooth as one?

Kev

^^ agreed, will be interesting to see what it looks like when finished, although it looks a lot like a Freelander to me though...

The problem with the wings and bumper is that I need to have a bumper that I can use for the drag tyres and the circuit tyres.

Other wise it would just look like a massive arch with a small tyre.

The car now has two sets of wings!

The work is being carried out by George @ Bodytorque!

First thing that came into mind when i seen that was "Land Rover", anyone else?

haha nice one, that wheel tyre set up at the front looks fantastic! At that level no-body cares what it looks like, as long as you are pulling 11s in a micra then it's always brilliant!!!

Out of interest, is it street legal anymore or are those tyres illegal now? Are you running a 'wheelie' bar to force the front wheels down?

Why would you need a wheelie bar if it was front wheel drive?
OK, basically when you floor any car FWD, RWD or AWD, the back end on all of them drops down, the front end kicks up and you are away. On very high bhp models, this syndrome is increased, add even higher hp and big fat sticky tyres into the mix then it becomes out of control. If you accelerate too hard the AWD and RWD cars would just flip over backwards without a wheelie bar, so that's why they have them, the FWD cars do exactly the same thing basically, they start to pull a wheelie until the tyres leave the ground, at which point they spin freely and your car is no longer accelerating, so the tyres drop back down to the ground, but at this point they're spinning very fast so they're unlikely to get grip, so they spin all they way up the track, either that or they do do get grip and it kicks the front end up in the air again, so you basically bounce for the first 1/8 mile by which time you're opponent has finished the race and is in the bar. So you fit an FWD wheelie bar which is much stiffer than an RWD wheelie bar and basically stops the back end from dipping down...so now all that force that was being used to dip the back end of the car down is now transfered to the front and is being used to force the front wheels (and in this case, the drive wheels) into the ground, meaning more traction, meaning much less wheel spin. You can add to this by having very stiff rear suspension. Another aid of the FWD wheelie bar is that you are slightly more stable at top end speeds.

An FWD wheelie bar is not to stop wheelies like an RWD wheelie bar is, but it looks very similar to an RWD wheelie bar and they are both there to compensate for the massive inertia that drag cars experience so that's why they are called wheelie bars, despite them not stopping wheelies.

Hope that helps :)

First thing that came into mind when i seen that was "Land Rover", anyone else?

LOL, yip, we did!!!

haha nice one, that wheel tyre set up at the front looks fantastic! At that level no-body cares what it looks like, as long as you are pulling 11s in a micra then it's always brilliant!!!

Out of interest, is it street legal anymore or are those tyres illegal now? Are you running a 'wheelie' bar to force the front wheels down?

Yes, it is still fully street legal...just, and the tyres are street legal too!

We haven't got to the wheelie bar stage yet, but we'll see!

Me dads mate used a solid rear damper for draging a GTO powered metro that stoped the weight transfer , back end was higher to. it just used up the thick rubber mounts he had on them to stop vibration every few meets, and was bumpy. maby abit to extrem!!

Micra looks good, front bumper could be wider to match arches. thats gona look mental from the front when its all sprayed up. (Y)

Me dads mate used a solid rear damper for draging a GTO powered metro that stoped the weight transfer , back end was higher to. it just used up the thick rubber mounts he had on them to stop vibration every few meets, and was bumpy. maby abit to extrem!!

Micra looks good, front bumper could be wider to match arches. thats gona look mental from the front when its all sprayed up. (Y)

The arches pictured are only to cover the wide tyres for the odd drag strip event.

The car will be using pretty much the standard wings with a slight lip on a daily basis!

Back