98 micra retro fit power steering

Hi guys and gals I,m new to this so dont know the protocol.just got my 17 year old daughter a 98 micra as I thought it the perfect starter car for her with a view to customising as she goes along.unfortunately it does not have power steering and as she is built more like kylie than adele she is struggling to turn the wheel at slow speeds.how realistic is it to retro fit p/s and what is involved.i dont mind getting my hands dirty but if theres a company out there that offers this service i may decide to go down that road.would appreciate any advice comments or info.

frank

Club Member
hi gary

i guess you would need a rack, pipes, pump, reservoir and belt (and maybe the electrics for the idle control)
or else stick 40psi in the front tyres like me :glance:

kristian

One Way Mule
You need the mechanical stuff at least...

Pump & Mounts for pump belt

And entire rack with plumbing..

Its possible.. unlike retrofitting Air-con.. which has been done but is ridiculus amounts of work..

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
yea i have done it, sooo very easy,

first of all when getting all the bits off a doner car, don't forget to get the steering CV joint at the end of the steering collum, its bigger so you need it.

1. take off the rack and CV from the car and fit the power steering one with the PAS CV too
2. attach the high pressure pipe to the steering rack
3. attach the pump to the engine, put some slack in the belt and bolt it on.
4. bolt on the return pipe work and regulator valve
5. plug in the valve (wiring is taped up already to go)
6. attach the other end of the high pressure pipe to the valve and you are good to go :D

wgc_daz

unlucky-racing.com

first of all when getting all the bits off a doner car, don't forget to get the steering CV joint at the end of the steering collum, its bigger so you need it.

1. take off the rack and CV from the car and fit the power steering one with the PAS CV too
6. attach the other end of the high pressure pipe to the valve and you are good to go :D

fancy doing it for me nex XD i want it done and im poop on car mechanicals to tell the truth ?

That seems to easy TBH, thought it would be more complicated than that.

NeX

Club Member
fancy doing it for me nex XD i want it done and im poop on car mechanicals to tell the truth ?

if you have ALL the parts needed i don't mind doing it, and a place to do it as well ;) the main time takers are rusty bolts, like the track rod ends, and trying to get the power steering rack out of the car with the engine in place.

That seems to easy TBH, thought it would be more complicated than that.

its a very simple system,

but like i said the main problem is swapping the racks over, the rest is pretty straight forward.

managed to find someone who can supply me with all parts delivered for just under £120 - but I'm not 100% competant with the spanners (and don't have a garage at the moment), so gotta get labour prices - but hopefully will be going power steering soon - which is just as well since my 15's have made the steering heavy as hell!

Suze

Club Member (Trial)
Posted by Matt (SuperUno) : When you retro fit PS to the Micra, does the non-PS wiring loom have the wiring for the PS pressure switch that it can plug straight into or do you need to splice it ??? or do you just not worry about it ????

Posted by Matt (SuperUno) : When you retro fit PS to the Micra, does the non-PS wiring loom have the wiring for the PS pressure switch that it can plug straight into or do you need to splice it ??? or do you just not worry about it ????

...that's actually something that crossed my mind, because surely if they'd built the cars in 1994 with the plug for it, then there would have been a power steering model?

Anyone actually ever done a guide for doing the conversion?

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
my 1994 k11 slx has power steering so they did do power steering models at the time, not sure about the plug though.

mph

Official MSC Trader

If it's not fitted I would not worry about it. I would just reset the base idle to around 900rpm. The switch which the connector plugs into is there to take the idle speed up slightly when manoeuvreing to stop it stalling.

NeX

Club Member
the plug you need is taped up next to the drivers side strut in the engine bay, its taped up with grey tape, and i have seen most cars except for the "L" models having it

power steering pressure switch

the plug you need is taped up next to the drivers side strut in the engine bay, its taped up with grey tape, and i have seen most cars except for the "L" models having it
are you sure the LX 1.3 doesnt have this ...
i just did my pwr steering conversion...and what is left at the moment is the pwr steering pressure switch....

is there a propper step by step guide?? maybe pics would be nice haha :p

and no am not suggestion someone takes their p/s apart lol just a good step by steep guide will be amazin =]