• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

89 K10 1.0 LS - Bosozoku police car stupidity

In recent years I've usually been found driving and drifting cheap RWD cars, which leads to a viscous cycle of buying, modifying, crashing, repair, repeat, which did sapped a lots of my money. Due to a fairly recent house purchase, I needed a little economical run around which I could have fun with, but wouldn't cost me the earth and free funds up for my long term Chevette project and the house. Which lead to the purchase of this little K10...

pFenhuq.jpg

The policy I had on my previous car was a modified policy, Adrian Flux said that the Micra needed to be modified or they would cancel my policy and start a new one. The new policy option proved to be quite expensive, so given a 14 day deadline and having to provide with photographic evidence the car was modified I got to work. Sounds stupid but Adrian Flux said the car had to have at least three modifications. Soooooo I listed a change of wheels, lows and a steering wheel. I already had a angle grinder for lows, the XXRs from my previous car and a Richbrook steering wheel. All I needed was a steering wheel boss and a bit of time.

So I made the XXRs fit and cut the springs...
fjKZymB.jpg

drwKcnc.jpg

MxK85F4.jpg

As you can see the 8.25x15" 0et wheels didn't really fit that well, even with smashing the crap out of them. The 185/55 tyres didn't help much either lol!

So out came the grinder and welder, I cut the arches out and fitted some universal overfenders I had originally bought for my Chevette...
FQWJYCM.jpg

1iWwWWp.jpg

Oh and I bought a dildo gear knob, seemed rude not too...
5TfoPdy.jpg

Then some bellend in a Transit van hit me in the lanes near my work, if I'd gone through the insurance it would have gone knock for knock so given the little damage to his van. We agreed to not claim. However it left the Micra looking a bit sad...
kCZqem5.jpg

b8YBavn.jpg

I managed to cable tie stitch the overfender back together...
wFHiSXB.jpg

I rolled around for a few weeks like this, until I found a replacement wing and light...
oKLkXwU.jpg

Doesn't look too rusty...
Cd2SKit.jpg

y9KuJiV.jpg

Tat-dar!!!!
HHrfoL9.jpg

The tyres on the XXRs were by now pretty knackered :( So I had two choices find some stupid sized 15" tyres to try and make the wheels fit properly or change the wheels. Markbognor of this parish tipped my off about a guy local to me who wanted to swap some 8x13" Wellers for some 15" wheel. So we did a deal which saw the Micra sitting on some more suitable wheels...

eBQWJHJ.jpg

VwiezXs.jpg

The 13's should allow for more lows once I've sorted some coilovers. As for the coilovers I had planned to go down the usual Polo route and use the top mounts from some broken S13 coilovers which I bought some time ago, for a different idea that never happened. Then I thought I might as well adapt the S13 coilovers, as they already have very similar style mounts to the K10. All I need to do was find some slightly more suitable springs, find some suitable inserts as one of the S13 ones was beyond repair and then make them fit! These are the coilovers...
egY9OZx.jpg

So far I've found some suitable damper inserts (well once the bottom mount has been removed that is)...
gVWaT8i.jpg

Swapped the S13 springs for some Corsa and mk1 Golf springs...
nJDKqwd.jpg

And assembled one of the front coilovers...
LlD6f8V.jpg

For the fronts I need to cut down and redrill the bottom mount, but other than that it should be a pretty straight forward fit. These coilovers should offer a few advantages over Polo ones, mainly the fact they are pre-load adjustable. Which should give mega lows (once the arches have been cut out more), but still have plenty of suspension travel and not just sit on the bump stops.

Anyway advice and opinions are welcome :)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Cost is the single biggest deciding factor on buying coilovers on here. That's why polo and corsa ones are so popular
I liked the 15s though :/
Good writeup :)

OP
OP
robinxr4i
Needs less tyre though :)

Yeah I'm looking to change to something with a lower profile at some point.

Cost is the single biggest deciding factor on buying coilovers on here. That's why polo and corsa ones are so popular
I liked the 15s though :/
Good writeup :)

TBH I'm a total cheapskate, I completely understand why Polo and Corsa coilovers are so popular, hopefully the S13 coilovers will cost me around £100 to make them suitable for the Micra. The coilovers originally cost me £60 and the replacement dampers are £40 for the pair.I shouldn't need anything else that I dont already have laying around.

Hi mate, love the car!!
Been following on retro rides too.

Thanks dude, I'm a big fan of your car lots of trial and error which has resulted in a constantly evolving car love it. Definitely one of my favourite cars of 2013.

Same as my little beast lol.. Where can you get arches from? Struggling to find any

Got mine off a guy on Retro Rides call Rangerbob good product at a cheap price, BUT he's a pain to get hold of. He keeps appearing and disappearing, difficult to tie him down. I guess the eBay ones will be pretty similar.

OP
OP
robinxr4i
MOT time is never pleasant, but even less so when the weather has been crap and you know that the welding you've been putting off needs to be done, if you want it to pass! Anyway both sills needed repairing and there was a hole in the rear floor where the chassis leg joined the floor. Armed with my poxy 90 amp Clarke second hand £40 mig welder, I unleashed my weak skillzor.

Under neither the rear seat...
1M3mm8t.jpg

Grind...
bvMxkMe.jpg

Cut...
PCWu2Jm.jpg

Weld...
TmjDt2Q.jpg

Looks about right...
VZwb8VL.jpg

Bit better again...
AY4cgGn.jpg

Blew loads of holes and yes it looks ****, but it's in there!
ab1MHti.jpg

Drivers side rear sill after I'd removed the tin worm...
lP8LeUs.jpg

The inner sill...
cXCw3Fw.jpg

Blowing more holes...
JmAxv9T.jpg

The inner skin...
V4HR9E4.jpg

Outer sill...
5pxMXhb.jpg

Then time got short and I didn't get any photos of the passenger side, but it was much the same. Then I hammered on a load of underseal, to hide my sins! Then presented it to the MOT tester :-/
aoJGGL5.jpg

You can see my liberal use of underseal lol!

Anyway it passed! YAY! Advisories on an oil leak (which was the oil pressure switch, I've now fixed it), D/S front brake binding and 'surface rust'. All stuff that can be worked on anyway.

I also did the cambelt...
4sb7Dc6.jpg

Oh and also made a bit of progress with the coilovers...
mziw7jv.jpg

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Just a little note for you. The rust patch you found (dont worry its a common rust spot)
That part underneath is your inner axle mount so keep an eye on those :)

OP
OP
robinxr4i
This update will be a bit fragmented as I've not updated it for a while. I apologise if it doesn't make sense :)

Anyway I've had a few thoughts and ideas about where I wanted to take the Micra, first of all I saw this Golf...
7cHJ7nE.jpg

...and loved its bumperless look. TBH I was kinda taken with the whole look, then I came across a few bosozoku/zokusha style Police car reps, like this one...
IMG_9225.jpg

2P7A1607-680x446.jpg

0417_Nissan-Skyline-GC110-bosozoku-police-640x426.jpg

...and I thought it would be cool to combine them.

Anyway I threw the bumpers away and made a front splitter/airdam (which I then later binned because I wasn't happy with it)
VL8HcNx.jpg

lARZx4w.jpg

Looked good in conception...
IkgoIq0.jpg

...but in reality it looked a bit crap! Oh and the bumper bar got painted and refitted (not sure if it's going to stay or not)
C1nNHxz.jpg

Then I took the plunge and painted the bottom half of the car to start the Japanese police car look. In progess...
WxO1J07.jpg

...then I painted the blue wing white...
6yhrdh4.jpg

...and finished the rest of the white over black.
ektjEuk.jpg

Next up a dreadful MSpaint mock up of some Japanese characters on the side of the Micra...
GLeluDs.jpg

...it says "The Sexy Eyes Prefecture Office" it's a bit of an in joke combined with what you'd expect to see on the side of an actual Japanese police car. Then a friend with a sticker cutter offered to print them up...
fbjoMxC.jpg

:D Haven't had time to fit them yet.

Although I have fitted a faux-oil cooler (old S13 diff cooler), stuck in an old bucket seat and painted the front edge of the bonnet to match the police livery...
zzYPo0c.jpg

cJXaxbL.jpg

1Rhy4dy.jpg

XyKmxEI.jpg

Need to paint the small section at the top front of the wings so the bonnet scallop joins the bottom of the car. I'm also toying with doing a sharknose conversion, another excellent lol MS paintshop...
a5FbJkn.jpg

Anyway feedback, opinions and abuse welcome :)

OP
OP
robinxr4i
Less of an update, more of huge leap forward

First of all I did the head gasket, as it had been mixing oil and coolant for a while....
W3m0ChC.jpg

aKNd6Zq.jpg

WpJLsUm.jpg

Annoyingly the front three threads in the block decided to come out with the head bolts :p
alT0BFe.jpg

Xt0cowB.jpg

Anywat head in bits....
6c3GsjH.jpg

My mate Luke Helicoiling the block....
KAJEMQE.jpg

Head looking spanking....
mKpvECp.jpg

tAG3fEp.jpg

Back together...
f8x7dJj.jpg

cYMRKkW.jpg

....and working :D

With that out the way, on to the fun stuff.......... I've fitted the stickers, bought a light bar, fitted the light bar and constructed some bosozoku tail pipes.
iCGMuMQ.jpg

Zv8iAEZ.jpg

PwC2gYW.jpg

FoErVgS.jpg

GwwOe9d.jpg