5w-40 oil ok?

So I finally got around to changing the oil and filter on my '02 998cc with 78K miles on it, and let me tell you, the next time the flipin' filter can just stay in place! Lots of oil pouring up/down my arm, predictably enough, I suppose. It's over two years since the last change, but then again I clocked up very few miles, and on most of those the engine reaches operating temperature.
Anyway, the other day I bought sone Lidl 5w-40 fully synthetic which was as cheap as their 10w-40 semi synth, and I've put that in, though some say it could start burning oil. If burning a bit of oil, could that mess with the cat or emissions? Any opinions or experiences of 5w-40? I rarely explore the top half of the rev range, and most of the roads around here are a 50mph limit. But I don't hang around either. Anyway, thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Well it's a 5w-40, so should be normal once warmed up. I hope I have not overfilled, not by much if I have. Why do you ask, would it make a difference?

Sorry read it abit wrong, 5/30 oil Is better for little trips to the shops ect and runs barely up to temp , nissan states it's not great for long high speed driving lol (motorways basically),10/40 is the better all round I say,
If you get oil burning problems it it kinda depends how bad it is really and fussy the mot place is ,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Thanks Super, appreciate it. I thought I came across a post from Opieoils saying 5w-40 synthetic if you want to give it a treat! I suppose I'm hoping the oil gets around the engine a bit quicker when cold, and maybe last a bit longer. A extra MPG or two would not go amiss.

Thanks Super, appreciate it. I thought I came across a post from Opieoils saying 5w-40 synthetic if you want to give it a treat! I suppose I'm hoping the oil gets around the engine a bit quicker when cold, and maybe last a bit longer. A extra MPG or two would not go amiss.
so to clarify, as long as the second number is the same as recommended for operating temperature, a lower w number is actually going to be better for the car?

Why do they even make oils with a higher w number then? Is this just left over from before they were synthetic?

Ummm...some cars can use 0w (w for winter) when starting in cold weather, others need a thicker less runny oil up to say 15w. An older or very worn engine with larger gaps between the moving parts would prefer a thicker oil to fill in the spaces. The same applies when up to operating temperature, newer engines can use 30 grade, older ones up to 50 or so.
That's my understanding anyway, but then I'm just someone on the internet. Or possibly a robot. No, pretty sure I'm real. Sometimes an idiot, certainly, just ask Mrs T, who's best efforts have failed to remove engine oil stains from a half-decent shirt. ?

Ecp have shell helix hx8 ect full synthetic (c3 i think)
5 ltr for £15, im hoping to use that and a mann oil filter, im tempted to remove the autobox filter which is in view and replace with a new one 74 plus vat from nissan or 27 blueprint brand from local motor factors. Transmission oil is pinkish so would i be doing any harm to just put a new filter.

Back