55 Plate Sport+ Naff all Power

Hi All,

Have an odd one here. Drove to work on Friday with no problems went to leave work and had no power over 3000rpm (wouldn't pull away up the slip road of a motorway) gave up and pulled over, a slight burnt smell was noticed so got recovery out to me (3 hours on the A56 at 0C is not fun!!!) He went to put it on the truck and noticed the clutch was slipping a good un. Had clutch replaced yesterday (Sat) and yes it was goosed when I saw what was left of it (original clutch by the looks of it so its done well to get to 94K+ miles!). Took it away and it has no power at the top end.
It pulls away fine and will drive round town quite happily but as soon as it needs to do 40+mph it struggles, runs smooth as anything just is dead on its feet. Suspicion at the moment lies in the fuel pump possibly being weak (but surely this would cause lumpy running) or the Variable Valve Timing has failed (it used to kick you in the back at 3000rpm when accelerating). I've had a MAF unit fail on another car and that caused stalling at traffic lights and the like so I doubt it is that.
Am I in the right ball park or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Ta much in advance
D

Back