Question: 5.1 CWP Ratios

People running 5.1 CWPs, how do you find first gear and the gap between 3-4, 4-5?

Looking at the ratios etc it seems like first is rather short, and then there's still a fair gap between the higher gears (especially in a coilpack gbox).

Just looking for some advice on if its worth it, or if I should just go the whole hog and get the dog gear set from Hockley.

Alex

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
4.92 from Matt H is spot on, a little low with very low profile 13” tyres, ideal with most tyre sizes. I would only use a 5.1 if running 14 or 15” wheels or knobblies.

People running 5.1 CWPs, how do you find first gear and the gap between 3-4, 4-5?

Looking at the ratios etc it seems like first is rather short, and then there's still a fair gap between the higher gears (especially in a coilpack gbox).

Just looking for some advice on if its worth it, or if I should just go the whole hog and get the dog gear set from Hockley.

Alex

The only downside I find with the 5.1 is 1st is too short for sprints / hillclimbs – Hockleys ratio for 1st looks ideal – I did do a comparison for top theoretical top speed in each gear and the difference was nearly 10mph in 1st!

Though fitting the 5.1 does save about a £1k!

OP
OP
Huggy444
The only downside I find with the 5.1 is 1st is too short for sprints / hillclimbs – Hockleys ratio for 1st looks ideal – I did do a comparison for top theoretical top speed in each gear and the difference was nearly 10mph in 1st!

Though fitting the 5.1 does save about a £1k!
Yeah I've looked through the top speeds in ear gear, considering wheel size and rev limit etc first is just so short it'd only ever be used for launches - not a bad thing I suppose.

The dog ratios look perfect from Hockley, but the box costs the same as my car...

If you know the ratios I came across a gearbox calculator online a while ago whilst deciding on gearsets for my other project, (thanks for the cable tied driveshaft Huggy444 ?), but it let's you enter in ratios of each gear, shift points, final drive ect ect and gives you both visual rpm drops and also numerical to closer identify differences, best bet would be have 2 of them open at once and enter in all the details for each box to view differences, then you can change the ratios to find what your ideal would be

OP
OP
Huggy444
If you know the ratios I came across a gearbox calculator online a while ago whilst deciding on gearsets for my other project, (thanks for the cable tied driveshaft Huggy444 ), but it let's you enter in ratios of each gear, shift points, final drive ect ect and gives you both visual rpm drops and also numerical to closer identify differences, best bet would be have 2 of them open at once and enter in all the details for each box to view differences, then you can change the ratios to find what your ideal would be
Yeah been and looked through and compared ratios, hence my thoughts on 1st etc looking a bit short!

Ta for the idea anyway :)